Callaway XR iron repair cost.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sungandjudy View Post
    Bad news....
    Just got a call from Golftown and they told me that I need to take it to machine shop to remove the broken piece as they can't take it out. At this point, it may be better for me to look for either replacement set or new set....
    Interesting.....they obviously have no idea what they are doing. In 15 years , never had one that couldn't be removed.

is the hosel top crimped or bent ?

Can you post a picture of the break ?

in most cases just heating the hosel with a torch will release the epoxy and the shaft pice will sometimes even pop out on its own....

In any event Send me a pm , and I will look at it for you...
    Last edited by Weirfan; Aug 13, 2019, 11:06 AM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

^^^ this. It shouldn't be that difficult to get the broken piece out once heated properly. What was the old shaft? Steel/graphite?

Comment

It's a clean break. I will try to post the pic once I get home.
        It's steel shaft. So if I heat the outside of hosel, it should come off?

Comment

Yes.....this repair shouldn't normally be an issue for a competent GT employee/repair guy.

Comment

It's steel shaft. So if I heat the outside of hosel, it should come off?
            So if you want to do this yourself. You need :
            vice
            needle nose pliers
            propane or butane torch
            safety eye wear

procedure:
            -Clamp head in a vice with the hosel exposed and pointing up or out
            -apply heat with the torch to the hosel moving it around, up and down. ( dont leave the heat in one place) if its taking longer than 30-45 seconds, give it a rest for 30 then apply again, rinse and repeat
            -Usually in short order ( 20-40 seconds) you get a "poof" as the epoxy bind breaks and the pressure and expansion will push the broken shaft piece up and out of the hosel.
            -use the needle nose pliers to grab and remove it - it will be hot
            - don't touch the head for a while unless wearing a leather palmed glove as it will also be hot
            - if you have a wire brush or drill and drill bit use that to clean out the epoxy residue in the hosel while its still warm - easier

Should the broken shaft piece not move and you are sure the epoxy bind has been compromised ( smoke and burning are the signs) try putting the needle nose pliers into the hosel and expand them open and twist which should loosen it enough to remove.

if that fails, just put a drill bit on the drill that just fits tightly into the hosel, then on low speed turn the drill and it will grab the shaft piece and just pull

Comment

Ok. I picked up last night and it looks they did try to remove them, possibly with a drill?
              have a look. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_193552.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	3021264

Comment

Ok. I picked up last night and it looks they did try to remove them, possibly with a drill?
                have a look. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_193552.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	3021264
                Confirmation that they are clueless.

From what I see, they have made it a bit more difficult for you to grab the shaft with the pliers, but the method above is still the way to go.

not sure if that is a lead tip weight in the bottom , but if so that is very soft metal that can be drilled away if need be

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X