Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P790 manufacture defect?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • P790 manufacture defect?

    Hi everyone!
    I'm new to the forum and had a question about the Taylormade P790s. I picked up a set from Golf Town while they had the sale on last week (4-pw for $1099). Went in for a club fitting and I guess it was my lucky day because I was getting the best distance, spin, and trajectory with the stock TT DG 105 S300 shafts.
    I noticed what seems to almost look like a crack on the sole of the 7 iron near the toe of the club. Golftown dealt with TM and TM said that I should play the rest of the season to see ifit gets any worse as there is a 2 year warranty on all TM equipment.
    Have to say, I'm not too pleased that a set of irons that retail for $1599 would have a defect like this. Many people wouldn't even notice, but brand new equipment shouldn't have any flaws.
    What do you guys think? Think TM should replace the iron immediately, or do you think its reasonable that I play the rest of the season with the clubs to see what happens. It's alot more noticeable in person than in the pic.
    They are releasing the new P790 irons shortly and I would like the have the exact same club replaced in my bag....not a newer version of the 7 iron in a year or so.
    on the flip side...last 3 rounds I've played with them have been 4-5 strokes less as my approach shots are finally going straight and sticking to the green
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Hard to tell in the photo. Did they confirm that it was indeed a "crack"/defect? If so, they should have replaced it immediately. I've never seen a new iron with a crack in it, but it does line up with the speed pocket. Do you notice any performance differences? Unless they're disputing your issue with the club, there should be no hesitation in replacing the 7 iron.
    Bridgestone J715 10.5
    Adams Tight Lies Titanium 13.5
    Adams Super LS 17d.
    Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-PW
    Scratch 8620 53d.
    Callaway X-forged 58d.
    Odyssey White Hot Tour #2
    Srixon Q-star tour

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 73monte View Post
      Hard to tell in the photo. Did they confirm that it was indeed a "crack"/defect? If so, they should have replaced it immediately. I've never seen a new iron with a crack in it, but it does line up with the speed pocket. Do you notice any performance differences? Unless they're disputing your issue with the club, there should be no hesitation in replacing the 7 iron.
      I can physically feel the part that is scratched/cracked raised up from the rest of the sole of club. I purchased them at golf town Ancaster, but am dealing with golf town Burlington atm with this issue. Ancaster location has great staff so I may go there and see if they can help me out better. Pretty much what guy on the ohise said is that TM said to use em for rest of season and see what happens.... But that's not the point, the point is they are a brand new set of very reputable clubs and the 7 iron has a flaw right out of the box. I agree. It should be replaced with no questions asked. I haven't noticed any performance issues, but it is not physically appealing to look at knowing I've only played 3 rounds with them and maybe hit the 7 iron a total of 12 times

      Comment


      • #4
        shhhh….maybe that will become a new design idea for TM
        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

        Comment


        • #5
          certainly a defect .....whether or not it gets worse ? I can see it possibly expanding and peeling with use and as dirt and moisture get in

          it wont impact play so really up to you and at the price they cost I would personally get a replacement. If they want the club to send back, maybe wait to season end
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

          Comment


          • #6
            what would be the marketing gimmick ...

            "speed bump?"


            Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
            shhhh….maybe that will become a new design idea for TM

            Comment


            • #7
              If it doesn’t affect performance you could wait for two years and take the whole set back to Golftown to return to TaylorMade, chances are they might send you a set of the most recent release 790s. That’s how they handled it was me with a defective driver.
              - Sun Mountain H2NO Cart Bag
              - Srixon Z785 driver
              - Cobra F8+ 3/4 Fairway Wood
              - Cobra F8 3 Hybrid
              - Srixon U85 4 utility
              - Srixon Z565/765/965 irons (5-PW)
              - RTX-3 wedges 50, 54 & 58
              - Evenroll ER6 putter

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jimmy3864 View Post
                If it doesn’t affect performance you could wait for two years and take the whole set back to Golftown to return to TaylorMade, chances are they might send you a set of the most recent release 790s. That’s how they handled it was me with a defective driver.
                hopefully most people have a higher moral standard than to abuse the system in this way
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

                Comment


                • #9
                  I popped by Golftown Ancaster last night and spoke a sales rep there, he's a great guy. He took some pictures (it is in fact a crack and a manufacturer defect) just to have on their system for a record and said if I was to send the clubs in to get looked at It'd be 3-4 weeks before I got replacements. He explained that the reason they are not asking for me to send it in now is because the new line of P790's will be available come fall. It will work out in my favor as I will get the new improved set for the price I paid for these ($1050.00).
                  If it does get worse and starts to crack more or split across the sole I'll pop back in and we will work something out. He was pretty shocked that he didn't notice the imperfection when he bent the clubs for me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

                    hopefully most people have a higher moral standard than to abuse the system in this way
                    But if TM have told him he has two years, I don't see a moral issue at all.
                    The product is defective, my take is that the moral issue is with TM, hoping that ignoring the problem and it might just go away.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

                      But if TM have told him he has two years, I don't see a moral issue at all.
                      The product is defective, my take is that the moral issue is with TM, hoping that ignoring the problem and it might just go away.
                      I Do not believe that TM said wait two years then return them to get a new and improved set....that makes zero business sense as a supplier.
                      My interpretation is that they are saying, don't worry, you are covered as all TM product has a two year warranty, so play them another month or so and if it gets worse bring it in and we will replace it...

                      Now if the club were to have broken in 18 months and there were no same replacements available and TM decides to replace with a new and improved model, that is very different.

                      IMO, if you have a broken or defective club and purposely are holding onto to it just to get a newer and better model and not its same replacement is very much of questionable moral standard. To me, that is abusing the system ....

                      we saw what happened with returning clubs to GT won in tournaments without a receipt,...,too many people abusing the system so the system was changed....

                      anyways, thats MO on it

                      and yes, I'm sure they might be hoping that the OP decides against the warranty replacement.
                      Last edited by Weirfan; Aug 14, 2019, 03:19 PM.
                      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by arogal View Post
                        I popped by Golftown Ancaster last night and spoke a sales rep there, he's a great guy. He took some pictures (it is in fact a crack and a manufacturer defect) just to have on their system for a record and said if I was to send the clubs in to get looked at It'd be 3-4 weeks before I got replacements. He explained that the reason they are not asking for me to send it in now is because the new line of P790's will be available come fall. It will work out in my favor as I will get the new improved set for the price I paid for these ($1050.00).
                        If it does get worse and starts to crack more or split across the sole I'll pop back in and we will work something out. He was pretty shocked that he didn't notice the imperfection when he bent the clubs for me.
                        I didn't catch that they were bent, that could very well be the cause of the crack, in fact I would say quite likely is

                        in such a case i'm not sure TM would cover that as it wasn't their fault.... but I cant be sure of that
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

                          I didn't catch that they were bent, that could very well be the cause of the crack, in fact I would say quite likely is
                          in such a case i'm not sure TM would cover that as it wasn't their fault.... but I cant be sure of that
                          I missed that too, that's actually a game changer.

                          As far as the moral issue, I should have said "implied"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

                            I didn't catch that they were bent, that could very well be the cause of the crack, in fact I would say quite likely is

                            in such a case i'm not sure TM would cover that as it wasn't their fault.... but I cant be sure of that
                            I should have mentioned, only the 4,5,6 were bent 1 degree to compensate for a slight fade. 7,8,9 were not bent, so that couldn't be the issue with my 7 iron.
                            Should have clarified that earlier

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by arogal View Post

                              I should have mentioned, only the 4,5,6 were bent 1 degree to compensate for a slight fade. 7,8,9 were not bent, so that couldn't be the issue with my 7 iron.
                              Should have clarified that earlier
                              Thats good !
                              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

                              Comment


                              Join The TGN Email List

                              Collapse

                              Recently Joined

                              Collapse

                              Topics: 171,103   Posts: 1,787,912   Members: 46,720   Active Members: 362
                              Welcome to our newest member, burly89.

                              Today's Birthdays

                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard

                              Collapse


                              TGN Sponsors

                              Working...
                              X