• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attached
    ​​​​​
    Attached Files

Comment

You are snapping the shaft at the hosel? Seems like awfully long odds you to have so many shafts in a set break like that.

Comment

So the iron heads are not breaking but the shafts.....that is different

A bit difficult to see but from these pics but looking like there is a build up of rust in the shafts. While this is not unusual and pretty much every steel shaft will show some rust...if it is excessive it weakens the shaft and the hosel top area is a shear point and so any weakened shaft will snap there as yours have. Its quite likely others will follow.

if you are a divot taker or ever hit of mats this will expedite the breakage.

Long story short, this isn't a manufacturing defect , but one of the irons getting moisture in the shafts ...which can happen if you have played in the rain or store the irons in a place where the temperature fluctuates from warm to below freezing ....

if these were my irons, I would have them all resifted asap

Last edited by Weirfan; Nov 5, 2019, 07:24 PM.
        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

very strange.
          The Srixon have a collared ferrule which eliminates the metal to metal contact at the very top of the hosel, which is the shear point that weirfan mentioned .
          The break happens inside the collar portion of the ferrule, and that's what makes it strange.

What kind of shaft is installed in the set? Nippon Pro 980?
          At the time of purchase did you have the lie/loft adjusted?
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Yes the club face is breaking off at the ferrule. The same on all 3 clubs (5,6,8).

Im not making the odds here, just explaining what has happened and asking if anyone else has experienced anything similar as I am sad that my irons just over a year old have 3 broken.

I do not play in the rain normally and also do practice on both grass and mats. The clubs are in the car sometimes in the winter if I go practice at the dome.

Shafts are factory nippon pro and no fittings have been done.
            Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Autolinks View Post
              Thanks for the help.

Yes the club face is breaking off at the ferrule. The same on all 3 clubs (5,6,8).
              Im not making the odds here, just explaining what has happened and asking if anyone else has experienced anything similar as I am sad that my irons just over a year old have 3 broken.
              I do not play in the rain normally and also do practice on both grass and mats. The clubs are in the car sometimes in the winter if I go practice at the dome.
              Shafts are factory nippon pro and no fittings have been done.
              Thanks again
              "Not playing the odds" I believe the poster of that and what I also believe, is that it is against all odds for 3 irons in one set all having the same defect at that exact same point on all 3.
              Seeing the photos, it appears the irons are fairly beat up especially in the hosel area compared to other I have seen of the same age/usage on line for sale. Not referring to posters who use photos of new clubs in place of the used ones.

This type of break is very common from hitting off mats and you were quite lucky to get a replacement if you actually told them, that you had been hitting off mats. Just my 2 cents worth.
              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Not saying that might be the cause, but ice cold shafts off mats mounted on a cement slab, is not ideal.

I would take Weirfan's advice then, and re-shaft all the irons.over the winter. I wouldn't risk my head, or anyone else's given that 3 out of 8 failed so far.
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I don't see the level of rust that weirfan sees. Yes I see discolouration but no overly abnormal oxidation that occurs on all raw metals like that. Working at courses and ranges I have seen my share of broken irons in this way especially in the spring and fall when grass Tees are closed. Poster also stated he had as I did searched the internet for failure in this product and did not find any reported any where.
                  But agree given the rate of incident do something for everybody's safety.
                  Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Thank you all
                    I appreciate it very much.

​​

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                      I don't see the level of rust that weirfan sees.
                      As I posted, its hard to see but there is rust . Steel shafts take a lot to snap, and there is no other reason for all these shafts to break at the hosel top other than they have been weakened somehow and IMO, since these are stock and have not been modified , then rust is really the most likely reason
                      ( could possibly be a manufacturing defect or these are fake shafts)

Graphite shafts should not be hit off mats but there is no reason that you cannot with steel , so using mats alone is not the cause

Storing the clubs in his car where they experience temperature fluctuations and condensation build up could have been the culprit.

Despite the collared ferrule, the hosel top is where the stress point is and where a weakened shaft will break. I don't feel that collared ferrules provide any real benefit/protection on steel shafts, but do on graphite especially if the inside is not properly coned and has a sharp edge.

Under the grip is another area where rust can also come into play as clubs are stored upside down and any water /moisture will collect in the grip end in storage..however, grip end of a shaft is the stiffer section so stronger and as such less breaks happen there
                      Last edited by Weirfan; Nov 6, 2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Or maybe he just needs to get his swing on plane rather than too steep.

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                          Or maybe he just needs to get his swing on plane rather than too steep.
                          Its hard to have too steep a swing on mats without breaking your wrist.

I have friends who take deep divots and have never broken an iron shaft ....every pga tour player takes a divot, don't see them snapping shafts ....there is more going on than that to cause these to break...., weakened shaft, steep swing, hard surfaces in combo ...perhaps

Comment

I like the Srixon iron lineup, but am not a fan of their proprietary light weight shafts that most are shipped/shelfed with.
                            every "lite" shaft comes at the expense of a thin wall construction.
                            They do provide options when you buy/order new.

https://www.srixon.com/on/demandware...om-Catalog.pdf
                            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone,
                              Golftown sent them back to srixon and they were deemed to be defective.
                              They replaced with a new set of 585s which I exchanged for the p790s due to my loss of love for srixon.
                              Cheers, and thanks again

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X