Collapse

Mizuno MP-20 HMB Irons

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mizuno MP-20 HMB Irons

Anyone had a chance to try out the HMB irons? they look very nice and seem to have lofts that are much more traditional in a hallow body head.

I'm currently gaming AP2 714 (PW - 4) right now and wondering if this a set that I should be considering. Right now I hit my 7 iron (34 degrees) around 155 to 165 so a little more distance is needed when my playing partner wants to play from 7000+ yards. I would love to game those MP-20 but I know I would struggle past a 7i and what really concerns me is the MP and MMC seems so tiny small in the longer irons but I guess that might be a good reason to have a split set. The HMB reviews that I have seen on Youtube seems to be pretty good, scratch guys seem to think its too big, but the mid-handicappers love it.

Side questions, anyone ever game a hollow body iron before? The main complaint I hear is the lack of distance consistency vs a CB (and of course an MB)

Haven't hit them, but would question why you are playing 7k+ courses in the first place if you are only maxing 165 with a 7i. That would be putting you in a 230-250ish driver range, not exactly 7k+ territory. Are you even breaking 90 at that yardage?

Comment

Lots of good reviews on YouTube - I think the guys TXG have reviewed them
      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by Gwelfgulfer View Post
        Haven't hit them, but would question why you are playing 7k+ courses in the first place if you are only maxing 165 with a 7i. That would be putting you in a 230-250ish driver range, not exactly 7k+ territory. Are you even breaking 90 at that yardage?
        read the op's post again.

He knows his limitations.It's his partner that insist playing from the tips. He just wants to know whether these irons will let him keep up.
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

read the op's post again.

He knows his limitations.It's his partner that insist playing from the tips. He just wants to know whether these irons will let him keep up.
          Don't need to re-read and would question it 100% of the time. But apparently you don't take pm's.

Comment

Who invited the Bagle Boss guy to this thread???

Comment

Originally posted by Ricelude View Post

Who invited the Bagle Boss guy to this thread???
              Curious given it's a question pretty well anyone would wonder... Are you expecting to gain 30y+ with new irons or do you just have a +10 short game?

Comment

Curious given it's a question pretty well anyone would wonder... Are you expecting to gain 30y+ with new irons or do you just have a +10 short game?
                You're a beauty and must be a riot at parties. Nobody apart from you is wondering why the OP is deciding to gain some distance in their irons, as that is their concern. According to the PGA Tour being a short-knocker playing on longer courses (PGA courses are generally long) will give you a significantly better scoring average than a long hitter more often. Here are just some examples:

Jim Furyk - 70.090 (19th)
                Matt Kuchar - 69.916 (14th)
                Brandt Snedker - 70.520 (39th)

VS.

Bubba Watson - 70.71 (59th)
                Gary Woodland - 70.229 (23rd)
                J.B. Holmes - 70.735 (166th)
                Cameron Champ - 71.393 (142nd)

Ricelude I've hit most of the hollow-bodied irons and found them to spin about 200-300 RPMs less (about 5%) than a traditional iron they fly higher, and are much more consistent with ball speeds across the face. I compared P790, i500, Miura IC601, and PXG 0311T against i210, JPX919 Forged, and 785.

Comment

I've hit them in the Markham Golf Dome, McMahon has them in the fit cart. Basically a tm p790 but better. Super forgiving faux blade.

Not my cup of tea, but it works.

Comment

Originally posted by ScrappyChip View Post

You're a beauty and must be a riot at parties. Nobody apart from you is wondering why the OP is deciding to gain some distance in their irons, as that is their concern. According to the PGA Tour being a short-knocker playing on longer courses (PGA courses are generally long) will give you a significantly better scoring average than a long hitter more often. Here are just some examples:

VS.

Ricelude I've hit most of the hollow-bodied irons and found them to spin about 200-300 RPMs less (about 5%) than a traditional iron they fly higher, and are much more consistent with ball speeds across the face. I compared P790, i500, Miura IC601, and PXG 0311T against i210, JPX919 Forged, and 785.
                    I play regularly with single handicappers who hit driver 220-240 and they usually keep ball in fairway.
                    Distance mean **** when you can't keep it in play or out of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by ScrappyChip View Post

According to the PGA Tour being a short-knocker playing on longer courses (PGA courses are generally long) will give you a significantly better scoring average than a long hitter more often. Here are just some examples:

VS.

. . .

There’s less than 1.5 stroke difference from the lowest to highest stroke averages of the examples you provided and you somehow attribute that solely to distance? Lol. that’s a bit of a stretch.

Mark Broadie might disagree with you there.

The sole purpose of the golf swing is to create a correct impact. How that is done is of no consequence, so long as the method employed allows you to repeat it - John Jacobs

Comment

Anyone had a chance to try out the HMB irons? they look very nice and seem to have lofts that are much more traditional in a hallow body head.

I'm currently gaming AP2 714 (PW - 4) right now and wondering if this a set that I should be considering. Right now I hit my 7 iron (34 degrees) around 155 to 165 so a little more distance is needed when my playing partner wants to play from 7000+ yards. I would love to game those MP-20 but I know I would struggle past a 7i and what really concerns me is the MP and MMC seems so tiny small in the longer irons but I guess that might be a good reason to have a split set. The HMB reviews that I have seen on Youtube seems to be pretty good, scratch guys seem to think its too big, but the mid-handicappers love it.

Side questions, anyone ever game a hollow body iron before? The main complaint I hear is the lack of distance consistency vs a CB (and of course an MB)
                        I hit them when they arrived at McMahon Golf and tested with Marcus. While Mizuno continues to impress with looks, the HMB's in my opinion failed to impress in the acoustics category for me. They jumped off the face and can see where one who's lacking in distance could make up some ground, but for me I could never put these in the bag as they just sound awful.

MP20's really impressed, but still think the 919 Tours are a home run for Mizuno this year and mine aren't going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Divot Tool View Post

There’s less than 1.5 stroke difference from the lowest to highest stroke averages of the examples you provided and you somehow attribute that solely to distance? Lol. that’s a bit of a stretch.

Mark Broadie might disagree with you there.

Ask a tour pro if they’d like to be 1.5 strokes better or worse per round. I think you’ll have your answer.

Comment

You are correct in your side question answer is that most hollow bodies you will find really hot off the centre of the face. When fitting irons I found that with both the 790 and the I500 but the Mizuno were much different in terms of constancy across the face.
                            I have not played the MP 20 but my currently have the HM 919 4 and 5 in my bag (rest is 919 Forged)

Comment

Also for the rest of the people posting garbage comments there is nothing wrong with this question. Maybe his buddy is a longer hitter and he doesn’t want to weirdly play different tees.

I came off the Apex Pro (similar to Ap2) and noticed a distance pick up. Also went to Accra stiff Graphite (can use Steelfibre as well) and that was another pick up.

superspeed swing trainer would also help you pick up some yards

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X