Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming Back To Golf After Years Off - Can I Replace My Driver With A Driving Iron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Back To Golf After Years Off - Can I Replace My Driver With A Driving Iron?

Hello, Everyone, I'm new to this forum and joined because I've been struggling to find an answer for this online.

I've been struggling to use my fairway woods and driver and started searching for driving irons online. I found this article about driving irons

At one point it talks about how some golfers that struggle with long distance clubs just replace them with a driving iron including off the tee blocks.

I'm a higher handicap golfer and would be pretty excited if I shot in the eighties, if I used a driving iron and got my short game in order is that something thats possible or do I just have to stick with driver until I figure it out?

Any help is appreciated.

I would suggest a hybrid is easier to hit than most driving irons. I haven't seen many high handicappers who can stripe a 3 iron but not hit a driver. If I was backing off driver, I'd go 3 wood, 20ish degree hybrid first, then go 5i. I do have a nice low lofted Taylor Made driving iron which is fun to hit and occasionally works well, but I'd take a 4i or 5i over it and give up the few yards on perfect hits for much more consistency if I was playing for cash.

P

Comment

I agree with the 3-wood suggestion above.

In comparison, you'd lose a lot of distance with a driving iron --- and they aren't easier to hit for many people anyways.

Comment

I play twice a week and struggle with driver. Can't hit fairway woods with any consistency. I've tried driving irons but find them very difficult to hit. Hybrids are ok. I've been looking for a lower lofted hybrid but they aren't easy to find. You may want to try 3 and 4 hybrids first.

Comment

I would stick with driver until you figure it out. Get a lesson or two and this might be able to fix some obvious things quickly or at least get you on the right path. Although some clubs like driving irons, hybrids, etc, are easier to hit for some types of golfers vs. others, they rarely fix major swing faults. If you focus on resolving the underlying technical swing issues, you will swing all clubs better and enjoy golf more. The cost of a few lessons is about the same as if you upgraded to a new driving iron (i.e. ~$200). Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Texaswedge View Post

I've been struggling to use my fairway woods and driver and started searching for driving irons online. I found this article about driving irons

OP
            You have a swing mechanics issue, not an equipment issue.

As a high cap who has been away from the game, it will take some time to work on getting your scores to some level you desire.

What driver are you currently using?

IMO....a driver can be one of the more forgiving clubs in the bag?
            Why?
            Because it's teed up and has the biggest sweet spot of the clubs in your bag.
            Loft is your friend...get a used 12-13* driver??? and choke down an inch and get lessons as a starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2kruz View Post
              I would stick with driver until you figure it out. Get a lesson or two and this might be able to fix some obvious things quickly or at least get you on the right path. Although some clubs like driving irons, hybrids, etc, are easier to hit for some types of golfers vs. others, they rarely fix major swing faults. If you focus on resolving the underlying technical swing issues, you will swing all clubs better and enjoy golf more. The cost of a few lessons is about the same as if you upgraded to a new driving iron (i.e. ~$200). Good luck.
              this...

Comment

Originally posted by Texaswedge View Post
                Hello, Everyone, I'm new to this forum and joined because I've been struggling to find an answer for this online.

At one point it talks about how some golfers that struggle with long distance clubs just replace them with a driving iron including off the tee blocks.

I'm a higher handicap golfer and would be pretty excited if I shot in the eighties, if I used a driving iron and got my short game in order is that something thats possible or do I just have to stick with driver until I figure it out?

Any help is appreciated.

No, for the love of God no...hybrids, fairway woods, higher lofted drivers, don't swing as hard. But Driving irons, even the most forgiving ones on the market can be very difficult to hit for low cappers even. I'd work on what others have said before you buy a pretty expensive driving iron which will be even less forgiving

Comment

Appreciate all the input from everyone. Looks like I'm going to wait on the driving iron and look into getting some lessons.

Cheers!

Comment

I'd find it hard to shoot in the 80's w/out a driver in my bag if that is your goal.

I think if you can learn to hit a driving iron you can likely learn to hit a driver.

Comment

Spend the money on lessons instead of the clubs. 3 lessons or so and I bet you'll be grooving the big stick
                      Rip it and Sip it

Comment

If you can hit your 3 iron off the deck consistently around 180 or more then yes go for a driving iron they are much more fun to hit but if you can't hit your 3 iron well then I can't imagine how can you hit a 2 iron. Given a 2 iron would just go 20 yards at most than your 3 iron.

Comment

to put driving irons into the proper perspective for someone who has been away from the game for some years, I invoke the most apropos Monty Pythonesque "Run, run away".
                          Seriously, you have no business looking at these just yet.
                          Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
                          Ping i25 3w Accra Tour Z LS M4
                          Ping i25 5w PWR75s
                          Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
                          Ping ISI W2, W3
                          Cal i-Trax

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 172,421   Posts: 1,800,944   Members: 46,956   Active Members: 256
                          Welcome to our newest member, Str8downthepipe.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                          X