Using Retro Style Golf Bags

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Retro Style Golf Bags

Hey guys

I was looking into buying a new golf bag for next year and was hoping to find one that looked a little cooler than all the standard bags nowadays. Came across a list of old school golf bags that I thought looked awesome.

My question is has anybody used one of this retro canvas or leather bags. Is the cool look worth the lack of pockets and the heavier weight?

What do you guys think?

why go fake-retro when you can go real(vintage) for a lot less?
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by Texaswedge View Post
      Hey guys

I was looking into buying a new golf bag for next year and was hoping to find one that looked a little cooler than all the standard bags nowadays. Came across a list of old school golf bags that I thought looked awesome.

My question is has anybody used one of this retro canvas or leather bags. Is the cool look worth the lack of pockets and the heavier weight?

What do you guys think?
      That Sun Mountain bag looks sweet and the weight at 4.4 pounds isn’t unreasonable.
      Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
      Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
      Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
      Ping G400 4H - 22*
      Ping G400 5 - UW
      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
      Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
      Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

I've used a Jones Original most of the season... Might grab a Jones Player Series. Also looked at Stitch, Mackenzie, Shapland, and some others. Costs start getting a little on the crazy side for those custom bags but Jones is good bang for the buck. Especially when the black friday sale drops.
        Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
        Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
        Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
        Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
        Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
        Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
        Putter: SGC WB Northwood
        Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
          why go fake-retro when you can go real(vintage) for a lot less?
          Agree...there are real retro/vintage bags that can be had for $5-$10 at the Salvation Army, Craigslist etc.

Comment

I've tried this before with an old bag I had lying around. If you carry the bag, forget about it. You'll realize why bags with double straps and stands made these all but extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by jackblack View Post
              I've tried this before with an old bag I had lying around. If you carry the bag, forget about it. You'll realize why bags with double straps and stands made these all but extinct.
              I'm old enough that many years ago when I saw the Izzo double straps in a store I added one to my bag.

Still remember my buddies laughing at it, "you're going to fall on your back and be stuck like a beetle".

Then they wanted to try it and next question was "where did you say you bought this?"
              Ping G410 Plus 10.5*
              Ping G410 3W 16*(17*)
              Ping G400 7W 20.5* or 3H 19*
              Ping G400 4H - 22*
              Ping G400 5 - UW
              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
              Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
              Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Yes the IZZO straps were the best way to update and mate with vintage bags.

A heads up for vintage club and bag bargain hunters. Value Village at Islington is not accepting golf item this late in the season Not sure whether this is branch wide policy.
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I’m currently using a Shapland Sunday Carry.
                  its great so far!

Comment

I just got the Seamus Golf fescue project bag. Like most minimalist items, the limitations of the bag remind you that you don't need most of the stuff you carry around anyway. I LOVE this bag. It looks amazing, and with less stuff in the bag, the weight on the single strap isn't an issue.

Look good play good.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X