Collapse

Putting Mat Ideas?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting Mat Ideas?

Sadly, am already starting to think about a winter putting set up in the basement. Last year I simply used the carpeting that is laid over the concrete floor and a couple of circular coasters / paper weights at each end as “holes”.

The carpet is pretty thin with short pile, so there is good roll and the floor is level - but slightly uneven in spots. The breaks are not severe and can't be seen by eye. They are not an issue on shorter putts, but there are visible arcs on the ball path - up to about 8 inches over a 15 foot span on some lines. With repetition over the same aim lines, I can play for the imperceptible breaks – but it’s imprecise and I often can't tell if it's me missing or hitting the target, or the surface doing it's work. I am not getting the feedback I need.

This year I am considering getting a putting mat to lay on top of the carpeting. I am thinking a decent mat could possibly eliminate, or at least seriously smooth out the worst of the unevenness, so I can practice flatter putts.

I need something that I can roll up and get out of the way, when I need space. A mat that allows for a 15 foot run would be nice, but I would be happy with at least 9 - 10 feet. I would also consider a simple carpet runner, on which I could use my coasters / paper weights.

Thoughts on what to get and where from?

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

a mat won't correct the tilt in the floor.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
      a mat won't correct the tilt in the floor.
      Well, it's not a tilt, the floor is level. Just some minor unevenness in spots. I am thinking a mat with a rubber backing might smooth some of that out.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I have to look it up but I remember there is a putting mat that comes with foam shims where you level out the surface or create break.
        Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X
        3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X
        3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
        Irons: 4-6 PXG 0311P 7-W 0317CB | DG120X
        Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.8F|54.10S|58.8M
        Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K
        TP5X 2024
        Ghost Katana

Comment

I used the PuttOut Mat and Pressure Putt Trainer last year. Got it as a Christmas gift. I like it quite a bit, but just wish the matt was twice as long. Has definitely helped me inside 6 feet this year. Also like the Pressure Putt trainer as it rolls the ball back. Decent combo but it's a little pricey. That being said, I'm happy enough with it that I'm not in the market for anything else this winter.

Comment

I have a "Big Moss" that I use during the winter months. Comes in various lengths and be rolled up when finished. Highly recommend. Amazon does sell them (pricy) but I found mine off Kijiji for a lot less.

Comment

Originally posted by Instron4204 View Post
              I have a "Big Moss" that I use during the winter months. Comes in various lengths and be rolled up when finished. Highly recommend. Amazon does sell them (pricy) but I found mine off Kijiji for a lot less.
              Agree on Big Moss. They currently have a 20% off promotion going on:

USE CODE : fall20 @ checkout for 20% off on these new greens.
              Last edited by Gridiron; Oct 15, 2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Big moss is the best in the league

Comment

Thanks all. Greatly appreciate the insights, info and promotion discount codes. People in this group are really helpful.

I will be looking into a used item from a TGN'er who PM'd me about his mat.

After today's round, a practice putting mat is looking more and more like a really good idea.

Comment

I have had a Bog Moss for several years, came with foam that you could unlay break into the matt. This by far has been the best I have tested. Yes, pricey but worth it for putting all year round in the basement

Comment

Tried this code today. Expired. Anybody got a new code. Ready to buy a Big Moss.

Comment

For those using the Big Moss, how are they for speed? The greens at my course are pretty quick and I find the off the shelve mats from GT to be far too slow. Also, do they come with the break pads or do have to order the 'break snakes' as extras?

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Badcaddie View Post

Tried this code today. Expired. Anybody got a new code. Ready to buy a Big Moss.
                          At this point I would wait a few weeks for Black Friday sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
                            For those using the Big Moss, how are they for speed? The greens at my course are pretty quick and I find the off the shelve mats from GT to be far too slow. Also, do they come with the break pads or do have to order the 'break snakes' as extras?

Thanks guys.
                            Mine came with the break snakes but that was a few years back now. Plenty quick. You can also vacuum it in different directions to change the speed a little.

Comment

Thanks for the quick - no pun intended - response Gridiron. Holidays are coming and apparently I'm hard to buy for.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X