Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Does Iron Forgiveness Come Into Play ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Does Iron Forgiveness Come Into Play ?

Lets simplify and break iron design into 3 basic categories -> Shovels/SGI, Cavity Back/CB, and Blades/MB

And consider that we all mostly play blades in our wedges, though there are some CB wedge designs.

At what iron # ( or loft ) do you think forgiveness ( head size, moi, offset, materials, engineering, etc ) of head design comes into tangible play for distance and dispersion ? Let's leave turf interaction out of the discussion.

For me, I want some tangible forgiveness starting at 7i.
    8i and down, I expect to deliver a quality and consistent strike.
    I don't think I would ever hit an SGI 9i any better than a MB 9i ( 9i is my 135yd club )
    WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
    Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65 Stiff
    Titleist TS2 19H with Evenflow White 90 Stiff

Titleist 818 H1 21 & 23 with Accra FX300H Stiff
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 5i & 6i with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 7-PW with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Cleveland RTX 54* & 58 Mid with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
    Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

probably 7i for me. I think I could play less forgiving clubs above that (8/9/P) but below an 8 I want more forgiveness.
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

OEM's would tend to agree more forgiveness from 7,6,5,4, etc....that's when some OEM's start to inject foam or create slots, etc into their irons.

Comment

^^^ Agreed
        Another is Mizuno in their MMC line that add extra tungsten in the toe starting at 7i
        WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS
        Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65 Stiff
        Titleist TS2 19H with Evenflow White 90 Stiff

Titleist 818 H1 21 & 23 with Accra FX300H Stiff
        Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 5i & 6i with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
        Mizuno MP-18 MMC 7-PW with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
        Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
        Cleveland RTX 54* & 58 Mid with Steelfiber i110cw X-Stiff
        Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

Comment

6-7 iron for me,playing ping 🤔.

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
            ^^^ Agreed
            Another is Mizuno in their MMC line that add extra tungsten in the toe starting at 7i
            I think my Wilson FG Tour V4's were the same. They're doing something similar on the newer V6 but not sure what club they start adding tungsten.
            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
            Srixon Star XV
            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

6, 5 and 4 irons for me is where I start to look for forgiveness.

Comment

I am admittedly not a good golfer. However I have switched from cavity backed to Mizuno 'blades' and my game has improved. In fact my most reliable club is my 3 iron. A club that many sets no longer even contain.

Even more puzzling, these shafts on these clubs are steel, stiff.

So how the heck can that be the case for someone with my messed up swing?

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                  I am admittedly not a good golfer. However I have switched from cavity backed to Mizuno 'blades' and my game has improved. In fact my most reliable club is my 3 iron. A club that many sets no longer even contain.

Focus! You are so scared of losing a tooth filling on a mis-hit, you are totally focussed.

I had a similar experience 12 years ago on a trip to Ireland with some buddies. Stupidly, I had sent my irons to the clubhouse for regripping and too my bad home for the trip. I had a set of KZG forged cavity backs on Tour Flighted Rifles in 5.5 flex. So I put those in the bag for the trip. Also, for the week prior to the trip, I practiced gripping down on every club and essentially going to a 3/4 swing. My thinking was it is typically windy as hell in Scotland/Ireland, and I wanted to keep the ball out of the wind.

Well, it worked. The ball consistently flighted low and straight, for the most part. I was driving the best of my life as well, hitting the ball with the centre of the face, it was carrying longer than my buddies, whom typically, I couldnít keep up with. And going from 3500í elevation in Calgary, and dry air, to sea level and some moisture, I didnít give up much distance at all.

Then I get home, re-bag the TM 320ís and it all went to chit.

I should dig those out of the cupboard again. They need re-gripping and a few are suffering hosel slip, so should take the heads off and re-glue them. I also have my Dadís 1970ís Wilson 1200 driver, 3w and 5w. Some KZG forged wedges, and I could do a retro bag....that forces me to focus...
                  Callaway Epic SZ, Evenflow 65gm Reg, 45"
                  Callaway Rogue 13*, Evenflow 75 gm reg flex
                  Callaway Rogue 15*, Evenflow 75 gm, reg flex
                  Callaway Rogue 21* Hybrid, Aldila Rogue Black 85 gm
                  TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
                  Titleist Vokey 52*/8 and 58*/8 SM6 wedges
                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”

Comment

Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post

Focus! You are so scared of losing a tooth filling on a mis-hit, you are totally focussed.
                    That might just be it. Forces me to 'smooth out my swing'?

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Every once in a while I try hitting a 3 iron. The experiment doesn't long. Fugly.

Comment

My 6/5/4 irons....
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

4 season ago I started to replace the 3 iron with a 21* hybrid, and that sometimes with a 7wood.

Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
                          Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
                          Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
                          Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
                          Cleve 53,57 s300
                          Cal Tuttle

Comment

I'm not playing nearly as much as I used to, would have no issue gaming something like the CBX wedges, CB design with a little bit larger club head for forgiveness.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,510   Posts: 1,814,386   Members: 47,099   Active Members: 176
                            Welcome to our newest member, moneyjizm.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                            X