hot balls, maybe not?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luv2kruz
    replied
    This video simply shows the impact of one variable (i.e. golf ball temperature) on distance. As indicated above, there are lots of other variables that impact distance as well. Perhaps those that have anecdotally experienced loss of distance in colder weather are attributing the loss to the wrong variable (i.e ball being cold vs. colder and more dense air, colder driver metal causing less 'springy' face, colder shaft that loads less efficiently. etc. etc.). Now that I think about it, it does make sense that a colder golf ball will be firmer and possibly will travel father as it will behave like a higher compression ball, but it will also likely impact the feel of the ball as well, which will be detrimental around the greens. Anyway, the video does give you reason think about what has been generally accepted about performance in colder weather. Very interesting for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Mr22putt
    replied
    Originally posted by mpare View Post

I acknowledge that this is anecdotal, but having played far too many rounds of golf over the decades in near freezing temperatures, my experience has been that warm golf balls fly longer than cold ones. For this reason, I would warm the balls before heading to the course, and rotate them through the round as they became colder. There was a noticeable performance difference.
    I play year round out here in the winter wet muck....if we play lift, clean and cheat....I keep one ball in my pocket and rotate the golf ball on shots.
    I also will play a softer ball if it's really cold outside.

Leave a comment:

• Cdntac
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
    I will say that golfers with higher swing speeds and likely a bit more competent golfers would be more prone to spend the money for a fitting.

I would think that TXG has far more customers who swing 90-99 mph vs. 100+ mph.

Maybe TXG or PhatChris can chime in to advise on their customer base mph profile.
    I'm going to guess they know their market. So I don't blame them for doing high speed swing vids, it's just that they're irrelevant to me.

Just as I wouldn't watch or read a review on a $75G vehicle when I'm in the market to spend $40G.

Leave a comment:

• Mr22putt
    replied
    Originally posted by Cdntac View Post

Granted, maybe that's more their market than me and my ~100 mph swing speed.
    I will say that golfers with higher swing speeds and likely a bit more competent golfers would be more prone to spend the money for a fitting.

I would think that TXG has far more customers who swing 90-99 mph vs. 100+ mph.

Maybe TXG or PhatChris can chime in to advise on their customer base mph profile.

Leave a comment:

• Big Shooter
    replied

My case was anecdotal; not scientific. As for using frozen balls in the summer, I can't think of any reason why I would do so. As for cold weather golf, it used to be the case years ago that some of the solid core balls (Strata being one) were prone to cracking in near freezing temperatures. That was another reason why we aimed to keep the balls warm.
    Yes, I'm sure the intent of this thread was more for summertime than cold weather (where balls would already be cold)

Leave a comment:

• mpare
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

Well, that flies against what the "science" says

….have you actually tried putting your balls in the freezer then using them on a hot summer day?
    My case was anecdotal; not scientific. As for using frozen balls in the summer, I can't think of any reason why I would do so. As for cold weather golf, it used to be the case years ago that some of the solid core balls (Strata being one) were prone to cracking in near freezing temperatures. That was another reason why we aimed to keep the balls warm.

Leave a comment:

• Big Shooter
    replied

I acknowledge that this is anecdotal, but having played far too many rounds of golf over the decades in near freezing temperatures, my experience has been that warm golf balls fly longer than cold ones. For this reason, I would warm the balls before heading to the course, and rotate them through the round as they became colder. There was a noticeable performance difference.
    Well, that flies against what the "science" says

….have you actually tried putting your balls in the freezer then using them on a hot summer day?

Leave a comment:

• bl8d
    replied
    we already know that golf late in the season presents itself as another game altogether with all the extra variables it introduces.
    We are only concerned that the test will show whether ball temp is a factor, and we can only do that when it is the only variable during the test

It would have to be done outside in the height of summer. One box of balls at the ambient temperature approx 28C another chilled to 12C. (same ball model of course.)

those of you going south for the winter can do this, and report back .thank you.
    Last edited by bl8d; Nov 5, 2019, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jasonp
    replied
    They do explain in the video that theres much more to it then it just being cold out there in the spring and fall.

its not just ball temp.

Its air temp and density
    Its the amount of lairs restricting your swing
    Its the cold making you not as loose and fluid.

All this video did is disprove that the ball itself being cold makes a difference.

They did say they will actually test outside later on to show.

This video was to test the notion of the golf ball being cold goes shorter. And to no suprise its not true. Why would it be simply because weve already seen that softer compression golf balls are typically shorter then harder golf balls. Unless youre sub 90mph swinger then maybe it makes a difference.

Leave a comment:

• bl8d
    replied
    Matt does have a SS on the high side Thee is absolutely no reason for TGX to fake that.
    Keep in mind that the conditions in a Sim environment are pristine, though you can input data that will replicate altitude,temp and wind direction etc.
    It's a given that Temperature has an effect on the molecular response of every piece of material we know of.
    So, now we, and TXG, have learned that temperature is critical for a ball, just not in the way we thought of.

We tend to pre- judge ball performance based on the sound and feel at impact which, I think, puts us almost into the cast vs forged debate, and that debate has been effectively put to rest.

Leave a comment:

• petvan
    replied
    I think what might hurt us empirically is my hunch that cold irons kill your distance. It might be odd for you to have cold balls and warm irons? (trying hard to leave this be...)

In a sim, obviously you have control. I assume a colder ball is harder which might contribute to it flying longer with the same force.

P

Leave a comment:

• mpare
    replied
    Does this make sense that a cold golf ball is that much longer that a warm golf ball?...that quite a difference.
    I would have liked to see a test with a golfer at 94-98 mph (less ball compression) and see if the results would be similar.

I know Matt is a tallish strong golfer....but is his swing really at 125+ mph?...is the sim juiced?
    For my eyes.....doesn't look like Matt's swing speed is on par with the likes of Finau, Rory, Brooks, Dustin, etc....who generally have 125 mph swings.

Leave a comment:

• Cdntac
    replied
    I would have liked to see a test with a golfer at 94-98 mph (less ball compression) and see if the results would be similar.
    I agree. While the TXG vids can certainly be interesting, I find I rarely watch any since the guy hitting the ball isn't even remotely similar to my swing speed.

Whether someone with a 95-100 mph swing speed would have the same results...I dunno. But I'll start watching one and think how it's totally not relevant to me since he's swinging 20-25% faster and then I'll turn it off.

Granted, maybe that's more their market than me and my ~100 mph swing speed.

Leave a comment:

• Mr22putt
    replied
    Does this make sense that a cold golf ball is that much longer that a warm golf ball?...that quite a difference.

I know Matt is a tallish strong golfer....but is his swing really at 125+ mph?...is the sim juiced?
    For my eyes.....doesn't look like Matt's swing speed is on par with the likes of Finau, Rory, Brooks, Dustin, etc....who generally have 125 mph swings.

Leave a comment:

• TheSaxemachine
    replied
    Being lazy and not referencing the rules, this would be illegal, no?

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X