Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this okay to do? relates to golf club grooves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this okay to do? relates to golf club grooves

Tried Googling this but didn't see anything so thought I'd ask here; the pointy-needle thingy on my golf club brush has pretty much worn out so lately, I've just been using a pretty decent-sized picture nail as a substitute to clean the grooves of my irons - mainly wedges.

Any objections to this or possible other ideas to clean golf club grooves, aside from soap and water and an old tooth brush?

Thx,

TMAzn

sounds like a "stocking stuffer" suggestion for Christmas
    Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post
      Tried Googling this but didn't see anything so thought I'd ask here; the pointy-needle thingy on my golf club brush has pretty much worn out so lately, I've just been using a pretty decent-sized picture nail as a substitute to clean the grooves of my irons - mainly wedges.
      Any objections to this or possible other ideas to clean golf club grooves, aside from soap and water and an old tooth brush?
      Thx, TMAzn
      I recommend one of these gadgets:
      I had one and they can be used for Square U or V groves. Be advised very sharp best used with club in a vice and wear mechanics gloves..
      All the details here on Amazon.
      https://www.amazon.ca/X6-Groove-Shar...=x6+golf+club+ groo ve+sharpener&qid=1573713577&sr=8-5

Had to edit cannot find it getting old.
      Last edited by 4underthru9; Nov 14, 2019, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TMAzng01f3R View Post

Thx,

TMAzn
        I clean my grooves after every shot. A wet towel, plastic brush is all I have ever needed.
        Driver - Taylormade M1 Kuro Kage stiff 10.5
        5 wood - X hot stiff
        3 Hybrid - R15 stiff
        Irons - 4-AW RSI1 Stiff
        Wedge - 56 MD tour grind
        Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2/Taylormade OS Daytona

Comment

^^^^ this is all you need to do for cleaning the groves on your wedges, I certainly wouldn't be using a picture nail, no need for that, a stiff brush and water is all you need
          Thomas4golf

Titleist TS2 / Kuro-Kage Black Dual Core
          Callaway XR Hybrids, 4,5,6 / Accra i-Series
          Callaway Apex 19 Smoked 6-PW / KBS TGI
          Miura Tour Wedge, 52* 56* 60* / Nippon 105
          Titleist Square Back
          Titleist Stadry Cart Bag
          Stewart X9 Remote
          Leupold GX/3i
          Member of Cedar Brae G&C Club

Comment

get yourself a battery operated Oral-B toothbrush. Takes two AA battery.. Total cost 8 dollars..

Things change.

Cobra Fly Z+ ProjectX Handcrafted 50LZ
            Cal Steelhead 3,5 RCH99firm
            Cleve Halo 19*hybrid s300
            Cleve TA3 4-Pw TTX100
            Cleve 53,57 s300
            Cal Tuttle

Comment

Egad! A Nail?

Not needed and will take the finish off and risk scratching the face if not super careful.

As mentioned, a wet towel does the trick.

I have used these brushes for years and never have a problem cleaning my grooves. It shouldn't require a nail.

Comment

I use this. $6.99 at Golf Town

Click image for larger version

Name:	GREY?$default$&w=1414&h=1414.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	3066260
                MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

I recommend one of these gadgets:
                  I had one and they can be used for Square U or V groves. Be advised very sharp best used with club in a vice and wear mechanics gloves..
                  All the details here on Amazon.
                  https://www.amazon.ca/X6-Groove-Shar...=x6+golf+club+ groo ve+sharpener&qid=1573713577&sr=8-5

Had to edit cannot find it getting old.
                  That device probably makes the clubs non-conforming to the Rules (regardless of what it says in the ad).

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post

That device probably makes the clubs non-conforming to the Rules (regardless of what it says in the ad).
                    Not to mention that it can , if over done, shred the s**t off the cover of your brand new Pro V and make putting with that ball impossible so you'll need a new ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                      I use this. $6.99 at Golf Town

Click image for larger version

Name:	GREY?$default$&w=1414&h=1414.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	3066260
                      Yep, I use that one as well. The older models were a little smaller and harder on the hands. Then follow up with a wet towel and then the dry end. Instead of buying purpose-built golf towels, we use old bathroom towels that are past their prime. Cut to size and sewn around the edges, they work great. We use the Golf Towel Holder(do a search-they're Canadian) to attach them to the bag.

Comment

So I figured with the picture nail I was using, it was basically the same sharpness and look as those pointy thingies on some golf brushes so that's why I was using it.

I assume then these things aren't safe to use then in general - even from a legit golf brush, as in they can damage the finish?
                        Attached Files

Comment

I would stay away from the steel bristle brushes as they could damage the finish on your irons.

As with the others, I use a wet towel and the pointy end of a tee to clean my irons during a round. At home after the round, they get cleaned with a plastic bristled brush (you can get them at the dollar store) and warm water, then dried with a clean towel.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,543   Posts: 1,815,025   Members: 47,104   Active Members: 171
                          Welcome to our newest member, kaze1234ify.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                          X