Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have an informercial club in your bag at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have an informercial club in your bag at the moment?

Lately, while watching youtube videos, I been interrupted by commercials for the c3i wedge. Of course I was think oh brother, another variations of the wedge that claims to help my game. Yet I do recall had have purchased a knockoff Tie Lies at one point and once had also picked up a Pure Spin Wedge from a garage sale. Don't game any of them anymore. Yet according to MySpyGolf.com, Ray Cook Alien Shot Saver at a time grossed over $200,000,000 in sales (https://mygolfspy.com/nfomercial-wedge-test-mygolfspy/).

So do you have an informercial club in your bag at the moment? Did you buy into the hype or did you make the purchase for other reasons? Is it helping your game?
    Cobra L5V- Nunchuk shaft
    Ping Rapture V2 4W
    Adams Idea Pro 2H
    Accuform PTM
    SC Red X

No . . . don't care about infomercial . . . golf equipment, cooking things, Dr Ho, etc . . .
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

are you asking if I'm still gaming my Alien wedge, well, sadly, that's a no --- not sure where it went?
      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Not at the moment (actually donít have it anymore). But I did have a pure spin 52ē and it worked as well as any other wedge I had at the time. I used it on and off until I sold it. I donít think I ever found a 52ē that could replace my Goliath gunmetal. I still use that one!

Comment

No informercial clubs unfortunately, but damn, my Blu Blockers really highlight the contours of the greens.

Comment

I play a lovette sand wedge,I have never seen it on tv.

Comment

I did splurge for a used GX-7 driver. What an idiot. Terrible club. At least I sold it for the same amount to a guy in Saskatchewan. I also gamed the previous version of the c3i wedge just to get out of the sand. It worked. But replaced it with a similar Cleveland which is staying.

Comment

One of our members has a Square Strike Wedge. Another fellow I have played with has a similar type of dedicated "putter chipper".

If you have seen the Square Strike commercials, it's basically a flat, squared bottomed wedge, with a small, putter sized face. They are set at a 45* loft and 68* upright putter like lie. It's basically a pitching wedge with a flat bottom and putter sized face.

Frankly, when I watch these two with their specialty chippers, I come to the conclusion that neither have any real idea of what they are doing with that club, which is not any different from what they would be doing if they used a pitching wedge.

These clubs, from what I can see, don't automatically fix deficiency in chipping technique - as the commercials suggest. But to the chipping challenged, I can see their appeal. Now they are chipping as poorly as ever, but seemingly, with greater confidence.

Money spent on some chipping lessons would have been a better value.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Golf infomercial sales with their claims prey on the same golf consumer vulnerabilities just as the Major OEM's do.
                  Both use dubious claims and marketing fluff and smoke and mirrors into making consumers believe that they can buy a better game. Of course there are differences in the underlying products but the approach really isn't any different.

The Hammer - POW
                  Taylor Made gain 17 yards

Square drivers, Triangular drivers, square wedges....and so on

some of the technologies are similar and actually make sense ..such as the wide soled wedges which have been produced for decades including by OEM's ....i'm using a wide soled Maltby tour series 60* and it is has helped me....the very wide sole and high lofted wedge like the C3i can be very effective for ams.

the GX-7 as far as I understand from the ads is a higher lofted, shorter shafted driver.....many here, including myself , have advocated this approach for years.

the only infomercial club that is have seen in bags of playing partners that they liked was the Bobby Jones hybrid.

Marketing and advertising always needs to be views with skepticism however there are certain industries where vulnerability and vanity provide the marketers with more opportunity. Anti aging products and golf are two of those.
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by jefflin View Post
                    Lately, while watching youtube videos, I been interrupted by commercials for the c3i wedge. Of course I was think oh brother, another variations of the wedge that claims to help my game. Yet I do recall had have purchased a knockoff Tie Lies at one point and once had also picked up a Pure Spin Wedge from a garage sale. Don't game any of them anymore. Yet according to MySpyGolf.com, Ray Cook Alien Shot Saver at a time grossed over $200,000,000 in sales (https://mygolfspy.com/nfomercial-wedge-test-mygolfspy/).

So do you have an informercial club in your bag at the moment? Did you buy into the hype or did you make the purchase for other reasons? Is it helping your game?
                    $200,000,000 in sales over three years equals 1,333,333 wedges sold at $150 each. Total BS.
                    King Cobra F9 10.5* Tour, VA Composites Raijin 44 A
                    Cobra F8 3-4 wood 13.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 R
                    Cobra F8 5 wood 17.5*, Tensei Blue A
                    Mizuno CLK 22*, Speeder Evolution HB 75 S
                    Ping i25 5-pw, TFC 189 R, 1.5* U
                    Ping Glide 1.0 ES 54.5*, CFS Wedge Flex
                    Ping Eye 2+, 57.5*, KT S
                    Taylor Made TP Mullen 2, 35" LH
                    Srixon ZStar XV Ball

"Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

Comment

I don't, but I did once try using that stupid iron that snaps in half if you swing incorrectly. Total garbage and a dumb late night purchase.

Comment

Warrior........5 years ago.
                        Brother in law also ‘tried’ them....
                        Needless to say we still will periodically get emails from them!
                        Callaway Razr X10.5*
                        Callaway Diablo 5 wood
                        Adams Super 9031 18*
                        Mizuno JPX 919 - 4-PW
                        Mizuno S5 50* GW

Mizuno S5 54* GW
                        Mack Daddy 56*
                        Scotty Cameron Select GoLo

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

$200,000,000 in sales over three years equals 1,333,333 wedges sold at $150 each. Total BS.
                          It does seem high but Mygolfspy has always been a reputable source.

the Hammer driver has been around for 3 + decades in various models in including the 2019 500.... hard to believe that it is still going strong.....cant imagine imagine how many hundreds of thousands have been sold
                          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
                            I did splurge for a used GX-7 driver. What an idiot. Terrible club. At least I sold it for the same amount to a guy in Saskatchewan. I also gamed the previous version of the c3i wedge just to get out of the sand. It worked. But replaced it with a similar Cleveland which is staying.
                            I have some magic beans to sell

Comment

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post

I have some magic beans to sell
                              Tell me about it. Hey I was conceived in Kelowna back in 1958. But my immigrant parents didn't want to stay on a farm so it was back to Toronto on the next train. The rest is history.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 173,502   Posts: 1,814,235   Members: 47,098   Active Members: 176
                              Welcome to our newest member, fanta222.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X