/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

PXG Hybrids

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PXG Hybrids

When doing a hybrid fitting with Chris at TXG a few weeks ago we discovered that nothing was bettering my Gapr Mid 4 with an Aldila Black shaft.

A few days later I found a SDLR 19* hybrid head at home and after tinkering with it a bit and using the Aldila Black, decided that I'd put it back in the bag along with the Gapr 4. I just had to get another Aldila Black hybrid shaft.

That resulted in a lot of reading about newer hybrids and on a whim I bought a used 19* PXG hybrid and another Aldila Black hybrid shaft. I figured if it works well, great. If not I'll just sell it.

I've been hitting many balls into our field with the PXG hybrid and I'm amazed at how much better it feels than the SLDR.

The ball appears to explode off the face as compared to the SLDR.

For a 3 wood, I use a TM M2 Tour 3HL with an Aldila NV 2kxv Blue shaft and it has a distinct click and feels so solid when struck. It's as if I'm whacking it with a hammer and it provides a perfect sensation.

The PXG hybrid, with the Aldila Black, has that exact same feeling and the ball launches like a mini 3 HL for me (tho not as far). Neither the SLDR hybrid or the GAPR Mid 4 has that sensation (and they're all about the same weight).

Anyone else try the PXG hybrids?

I'm seriously thinking of getting a 22* now.

Have had Gen 2 - 19* and 22* all of this season and absolutely love them. I've played just about every hybrid out there and the biggest thing for me has been size, toe height and the right to left factor most hybrids seem to have. Prior to these I had gamed the 818 H2 (and prior to these, was the Apex) and while they were a very good hybrid, I just couldn't marry up the feel to performance. I kept gravitating back to the Apex as I loved the look, feel and flight but in the forgiveness department they were definitely lacking. I demoed the PXG line in fairway and hybrid and didn't take long for me to fall in love with the hybrids. For me, they checked all the boxes and have yet to disappoint. The one thing I really love most about these hybrids is not only the adjustability they offer as most do these days, but the ease of being able to dial in swing weight without having to add gobs of lead tape or hot melt into the head. Yes the tungsten screws are also designed to have somewhat of an influence over shot shape and spin, but to be very honest in all my years of playing and being in the industry I've yet to see a noticeable difference in shot shape when trying this myself. Spin rates were noticeably up or down when moving the weights front to back, but shaft was also a factor here. If I had ONE gripe about these, it would be the black finish is prone to marks if playing in sandy conditions...but, that's something I factored in before buying as I knew they could only be so durable. My 22* face still looks great and the only blemish I've encountered this entire year was playing my 19* out of a bunker and caught a few pebbles high in the face. Aside from that, they've been rockstars.

For additional context, I've moved on from the Tour AD Di 85 to the Accra TZ6 hybrid shaft. I've gamed Tour AD's in woods and hybrids since the Di line first came out and love them, but as with anything it's always fun to try out some new candy and the TZ6 have yet to disappoint. Have the TZ6 in my 3 wood also, Ventus in driver.

If you live in the Richmond Hill area and are planning a trip down South over the winter, don't be shy to shoot me a PM. Happy to let you take them out for a rip so you can get some real on-course feel.

Comment

Thanks. Chris did have me try the Acura TZ6 with my Gapr and it just didn't work as well for me as the Aldila Black. It was still pretty good -- but of all the shafts we tried nothing was better (the Tensei Orange was the closest to being equal).

While I do like the feel of the Gapr Mid, I just can't but think that I should grab a 22* head and put it up against the Gapr.

So if anyone has a 22* PXG hybrid they want to sell....
      Last edited by Cdntac; Dec 21, 2019, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post
        Thanks. Chris did have me try the Acura TZ6 with my Gapr and it just didn't work as well for me as the Aldila Black. It was still pretty good -- but of all the shafts we tried nothing was better (the Tensei Orange was the closest to being equal).

While I do like the feel of the Gapr Mid, I just can't but think that I should grab a 22* head and put it up against the Gapr.

So if anyone has a 22* PXG hybrid they want to sell....
        Try WRX or PXG Troops on Facebook.

Comment

Thanks!

Or you can sell me yours cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdntac View Post
            Thanks!

Or you can sell me yours cheap.
            One can always dream.

Comment

Damn you. Lol.

I lost out on one on EBay today by $5 in the last 10 seconds. It would have been an ok price. Not great, but ok.

Comment

Without throwing good money at bad just maybe go to an upgrade in fitter?

Comment

Chris is a fantastic fitter -- in no way should anyone misconstrue my post or attempt to turn it into something it isn't. I've used him for every club/shaft in my bag and fully trust his skills and integrity.

The Aldila Black shaft fits me perfectly. Had I been using something else (like the KBS hybrid or White Tie hybrid I was using before I self-fit myself earlier this year into the Aldila Black) then the Tensei Orange would have been the winner that day. But for whatever reasons, the ubiquitous Aldila Black hybrid shaft works best for me.

The 19* PXG hybrid and the Aldila Black appears to be a fantastic club head that will fit into my bag. I didn't even entertain hitting it at TXG since it costs so much brand new, hence the reason for buying one used just to try.

I know my Gapr Mid 22 and the Aldila Black will do exactly what I want yardage-wise. However, I'm inclined to experiment with a used PXG 22 hybrid if I can find one.
                  Last edited by Cdntac; Dec 21, 2019, 09:34 PM.

Comment

You're knowledgeable and should seek out someone that is into what you want to accomplish. Not to be condescending in the slightest either but it sounds like you just need a fresh better set of skills.

Comment

Originally posted by JSGolf View Post
                      You're knowledgeable and should seek out someone that is into what you want to accomplish. Not to be condescending in the slightest either but it sounds like you just need a fresh better set of skills.
                      sounds pretty condescending to me, but we'll see if the OP takes the high road
                      Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

I don't see any road either? His fitter hit his limit in his capacity and he should now seek out better.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post

sounds pretty condescending to me, but we'll see if the OP takes the high road
                          Yes, I'm going to as opposed to beating a dead horse. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by JSGolf View Post
                            I don't see any road either? His fitter hit his limit in his capacity and he should now seek out better.
                            You must know something he doesn't, to have come to the conclusion you have.

Comment

So by someone's logic in this thread Stenson should upgrade his fitter as well since there isn't another iron set that can beat out his Legacy Blacks? Or Tiger should upgrade his fitter because he can't find another shaft that he likes better than X100? What a joke. If anything this makes me like TXG even more being honest with Cdntac that nothing is better than what he currently has and to focus his money elsewhere. Good job Phatchrisrules

Comment

Collapse

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Topics: 177,396   Posts: 1,865,402   Members: 47,842   Active Members: 371
                              Welcome to our newest member, kpran.
                              Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X