Collapse

I’m Curious

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m Curious

I notice that in the Buy/Sell section, several posters advertise brand new clubs (e.g. TaylorMade SIM, Calloway Mavrik) that have just been released. They are usually described as being “in the original wrapper”.The asking price is below the current retail price. I don’t understand this! I can’t imagine that people are going into Golf a Town and paying $600 for a driver and then offering it on this site for $500, for example. The only thing I can think of is that these posters are involved in retail and can get these clubs at the price a retailer would pay. Can anyone explain this?

I would think there is some of that. Give aways also make up some of this. If you are on GolfWRX in the US there is a lot of free stuff given out to pros that gets sold. I also think around trade in time people clean out the old garage and get say 400 off something then add in an extra 200 buy the club and sell it for 550 type thing

Comment

Once again I am curious. Recently, two members posted items for sale. In one case, Th member bumped the post to the top 5 times. In the second case, the member bumped the post 12 times!! Wouldn’t you think it would dawn on them that they are asking too much for the clubs they are trying to sell?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post
        Once again I am curious. Recently, two members posted items for sale. In one case, Th member bumped the post to the top 5 times. In the second case, the member bumped the post 12 times!! Wouldn’t you think it would dawn on them that they are asking too much for the clubs they are trying to sell?
        Potentially. Most people are open to negotiations.... Can always list high and come down in price, and maybe get lucky someone offers asking price. Warm weather is on the horizon, so people are starting to get the itch to buy new gear.
        Titleist Tsi2 9* - PXG 0341XF 16* - PXG 0317XF 19/22* - P770/P7MC 5-PW - Zipcore 50/54/58 - LAB Link

Comment

Everyone should watch a couple you tube videos on spotting fake clubs. I’m not speaking of any one in particular but BNIW....sometime the plastic wrap is the only thing that gives it away.

I know someone who bought a set of Ap3s from alibaba express. They were identical. I held them, hit them and couldn’t tell the difference. But he paid 400 bucks for a set of 1800 clubs from China. Were they fake...who knows

Comment

Some might be warranty replacements as well. I purchased a deeply discounted Odyssey putter last year at Golf Town (50% off retail). Long-story-short, I scuffed the top causing some cosmetic damage. I contacted Callaway about refinishing the putter. Although my damaged putter had been from a previous release year, they replaced it with the newest model. In the end the new putter would have cost me more than double to purchase. I kept the putter but I can see how some might be inclined to sell.

Comment

Im pretty sure all of Alibaba stuff is fake.
              " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
              Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
              Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
              Ping i20
              MacGregor response
              Snickers tour bag
              Pro V1

Comment

anything golf club from allibaba is fake

alot of new stuff on here would be either warranty replacement or the seller is like a pro or AP and it's part of their staff package. maybe they like m5 so want to keep it and sell SIM and get some cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post
                  Bumping the post 12 times is not really that much, and 5 times is nothing. It's not necessarily an indicator that the asking price is too much; sometimes, it just takes longer for the right buyer to see the ad. In addition, sellers occasionally reduce the price when they bump.

Comment

growing up playing hockey it is very similar to composite sticks.

1) I had a friend who's dad worked high up for Bauer. Often times getting sticks up to 85% off retail price. Selling them for under the normal retail price would still net you about $150-300 cash in your pocket. Quick way to make money

2) Pro players would get "pro stock" sticks created in bunches for them with different flexes, blade lies, lengths etc. They would demo all these sticks during a shooting practice until they found the one they liked. Often times some sticks wouldn't even be touched based on the curve, weight, lie and they were given away for bare minimum or really cheap as these could not be sold in stores. Apply the same logic to Golf clubs, similar to a fitting. You could make an easy profit off these as well

3) Fake or possibly even stolen, and take in 100% of whatever the ask is for in the second case.

4) you just want the club gone and no one is currently going to pay the asking price. Take a bit of a hit, but at least you go to recoup some money

5)you got hook ups, and in that case..do share with the rest of us

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X