Wedge advice

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedge advice

Long time lurker first time posting anything

I’m looking for new wedges to add to the bag this year. I currently have a mixed match set of cobra tour trusty, vokey, And taylormade. I’m not really a brand loyalty guy so anything could end up in there. Just curious about what other people are using. Give myself some ideas of what to look at once things start opening up and I can get around to new and used shops
    Thanks

I currently have vokey SM6 52,56,60 in the bag. Big fan of the classic f grind (full grind) wedges. The 56 is a 14 bounce and 52 is a 12 bounce. The lower bounced wedges seem to dig into the ground too much for me, so if that's an issue for you, the high bounce will be better for your game. If u tend to skull them, the lower bounce will help you get under the ball easier.
    Keep an eye out on TGN. Alot of ppl sell good condition used sets. Usually 50,54,58 or 52,56,60
    ​​​​​​
    My Mixed Bag:
    Driver:
    Ping G410 Plus
    Woods: Cobra Speedzone 3 Wood
    Hybrid: Ping G425 3 Hybrid
    Irons: Mizuno Pro 245 KBS Tour 120S
    Wedges: Ping Glide4 50.12, Ping Glide4 54.12, Mackdaddy 58.10
    Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4
    Ball: TM TP5

Comment

Your best choice if you want to improve is to be fit. Wedges are probably the most important club due to the loft. Any lie angles error will have drastic directional issues.

I build wedges as well as everything else, and always my focus is on the fit. My players benefit from an athletic address position. Gambling that a rack wedge fits, let alone be correct to its own specications, is a crap shoot at best.

Please review my site for additional information.

Appointments are required.
      Regards
      Dan

True Length Technology TM
      Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
      True Frequency Technology TM
      - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
      - Master
      Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
      - Advanced / Professional
      Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
      - Class 'A'

Comment

Originally posted by Jungo144 View Post
        Long time lurker first time posting anything

I’m looking for new wedges to add to the bag this year. I currently have a mixed match set of cobra tour trusty, vokey, And taylormade. I’m not really a brand loyalty guy so anything could end up in there. Just curious about what other people are using. Give myself some ideas of what to look at once things start opening up and I can get around to new and used shops
        Thanks
        no point in shopping till you find your lie specs and you'll have to wait till the shops open up. In the meantime you can check-test the lie on your wedges.
        put a strip of masking tape on the sole and strike a ball off a piece of plywood that's large enough for you to also take your stand on. The scrape mark on the tape should be close to center on the sole.

the trouble with most wedges is they are too upright for most players and the mark will be nearer the heel.
        things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

no point in shopping till you find your lie specs and you'll have to wait till the shops open up. In the meantime you can check-test the lie on your wedges.
          put a strip of masking tape on the sole and strike a ball off a piece of plywood that's large enough for you to also take your stand on. The scrape mark on the tape should be close to center on the sole.

the trouble with most wedges is they are too upright for most players and the mark will be nearer the heel.
          This way of fitting a club is way out of date and incorrect. The correct way to fit lie is by using impact tape and a felt tip marker. Put the ball with the line completely vertical. The impact on the tape will show the lie you need

Comment

I recently switched the Cleveland CBX2s and they are best I've ever used. I highly recommend them.

Comment

Originally posted by roundersmitty View Post

This way of fitting a club is way out of date and incorrect. The correct way to fit lie is by using impact tape and a felt tip marker. Put the ball with the line completely vertical. The impact on the tape will show the lie you need
              yes,that line onn the ball method works well for most irons in your bag except it will tell you squat about what part the sole's bounce intersects the ground, and wedges are all about the action of the bounce. Cheers.
              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

yes,that line onn the ball method works well for most irons in your bag except it will tell you squat about what part the sole's bounce intersects the ground, and wedges are all about the action of the bounce. Cheers.
                Yes. I agree. That method will only tell lie angle. For a proper bounce fitting need to know more than if you’re a digger or sweeper

Comment

I seriously recommend the Ping Eye2 + lob-wedge. I have a 57* with my eye2 set and it is the only wedge I carry beside the Pw in that set. These are the original high-toe wedges that everyone is copying but theirs don't come close to the functionality of the original sole design on the Ping
                  things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I'd get fit, don't do what I just did and buy some extra wedges because the price was right.

But seriously get fit, there are a lot of great wedges out there, once you know what you need it's all about what you like looking at and if they have what you want too.
                    Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X
                    3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X
                    3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
                    Irons: 4-6 PXG 0311P 7-W 0317CB | DG120X
                    Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.8F|54.10S|58.8M
                    Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K
                    TP5X 2024
                    Ghost Katana

Comment

Thanks for the replies I do intend to get fit for a set. Was just thinking about trying some different brands. It’s funny when I started golfing 10 years ago I couldn’t care less about what clubs I had . Just went out and if I came back with golf balls in the bag it was a good day. Last 3-4 years is when I started actually looking to improve my game. So before spending crazy money on new wedges that’ll stay with me for years I like trying different brands get a feel for what is out there so when I do go into a fitting I can relay information about what I like and don’t.

Comment

The going rate for just a wedge fitting is $100+. Are you set on your swing or still working on it? If it is the former, I would hold off until you have a consistent swing while you are improving your game because each swing change will require another fitting.

Most of the major brands will have an online fit that can tailor to your game and swing type. Those will get the average golfer (mid-high handicap) in the right ballpark.

Use the Vokey Wedge Selector Tool to see the best golf wedges for your game and swing. Find the loft, bounce, and grind to command your short game. Try now!

I'd suggest an online fit and then picking up last year's model either new in-store/online or on this forum that will cost you in the ballpark of $100 total, and wait a bit to spend $200 on a new wedge + $100 for fitting.
                        Dans le BAG...
                        PING G30 LS 9*, PING G25 14.5*, PING G30 19*
                        PING I25 4-LW
                        Titleist Vokey SM6 62*
                        Scotty Cameron Classics Laguna

Comment

I just bought 3 "like new" Vokey's from Golf Avenue - 50f 54f and 58d - they look fantastic and I'm pumped to get to the range and give them a try.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X