Collapse

Maltby Wedges

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maltby Wedges

So instead of sinking $80 to reshaft wedges with my iron shafts (kbs tour V 120x) I’m thinking of going through golf works and getting some Maltby wedges. Can get 3 for $300 which seems like a great price.

I played rtx 4 last year and vokeys in the past, and I’ve only seen nothing but positive reviews in these wedges. KBS told me I should play my tour Vs in my wedges and this seems about the only cost effective way to do it.

anyone play Maltbys? I’m an ok wedge player but I’ve never really liked any wedge better than the other.

thanks
    "Your swing isn't the problem."

Maltby Tour wedges and M grind are top notch.

My buddy who plays to a low single had me build him 2 sets ( one for lush conditions one firm and dry)

I play a 62* wide soled and it is money.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Thanks Weirfan, Im actually thinking about either returning or selling my apex pro 19s and just picking up maltby ts1 irons so I can get x100 in everything. I just have to get past the fact that I’m not playing OEM clubs. I wish I could get fit for them though.

Comment

Originally posted by brando92 View Post
        Thanks Weirfan, Im actually thinking about either returning or selling my apex pro 19s and just picking up maltby ts1 irons so I can get x100 in everything. I just have to get past the fact that I’m not playing OEM clubs. I wish I could get fit for them though.
        From all reports the Ts1 are fantastic.

contact Dan's custom clubs, ( he is a sponsor here) he fits Maltby stuff and is a one of the best fitters in NA.

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

OP what don't you like about your Apex's to sink $1000+ into some Maltby's ?
          🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
          Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
          Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
          Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
          Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
          Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
          Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
          Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

I’m not gonna sink $1000 into Maltbys I was having a moment today and yeah it’s not a wise choice to do that. But I just got the apex pros haven’t even hit them. It was a impulse buy on golf avenue $1000 for brand new set(except there is a few nics in a couple hosels) trying to figure out a wedge gapping for them. Maltby seemed like a good wedge to try that I can get kbs 120x but in them. Then I started looking at there irons. It I stopped. Lol

Comment

We all have our "moments" LOL !

I quite like some of the offerings from Maltby and Wishon, but unless you plan to keep them a long time, resale is very difficult to recoup some money, as these components are not $cheap anymore to buy brand-new.

If these component companies' products solve a specific need that a major OEM doesn't then that's a different matter. A couple of "specific needs" that come to mind are the single-length offerings from Wishon, and offerings from both companies to build much shorter clubs due to much more versatile head-weight addition, and the ability to heavily bend irons and woods at the hosel if need be.

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
              Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
              Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
              Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
              Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
              Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
              Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
              Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

I had some CER oil soaked wedges and wow they were fantastic , wish i could get them again!!!
                " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
                Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
                Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
                Ping i20
                MacGregor response
                Snickers tour bag
                Pro V1

Comment

if you buy name-brand wedges for their name-brand cache, with the forward intent of selling them downstream , the shock is they hold less than 1/4 their original sticker-price when traded or sold on-line.
                  Reason being that everybody focuses on the condition of the grooves and sole wear on a wedge. Any wear, and their value plummets like an anchor. The only wedge that holds and exceeds its true value are the classics of yesteryear, like the fabled Wilson '58 Dynapower.

The advantage of the Maltby wedges is they work well, and they will be cheaper to replace on a bi-yearly basis.

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Yeah you can just rebuy the heads that makes sense, I definitely like changing my wedges every year or 2. Almost the only club I buy brand new.

I just sent my Apex Pro 19s back today because they had chunks of metal missing on the hosel. So I guess that means now my "WITB" is empty!!!! Wife is gonna hate me the next month searching for clubs

Comment

I have a TSW wedge I'm building now. First impressions are that the fit and finish is as nice as you would get from most OEMs and a much cleaner look. The sole looks a little chunky but the leading edge sits nice and low. Very similar to a wider C grind or Dual Sole wedge.

They are lacking a bit in terms of "new tech" like face milling, microgrooves, hydrophobic coating etc.
                      Last edited by nubbie; Dec 21, 2020, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Well I did it, I ordered 2 Maltbywedges, TSW 56 & 60 in my x100 flex. All in with taxes and a shipping it was $210 dollars so let’s see how these do!! I did not end up buying any other maltby clubs though.

brando.
                        Last edited by brando92; Jan 4, 2021, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Got a 56 degree Tour Grind. Really nice.

May get those TS-1 irons. Played Nobelton this summer with a guy who had them. Looked and sounded nice when hit. Thought they were blades.

Comment

Originally posted by bdybldr View Post
                            Got a 56 degree Tour Grind. Really nice.

May get those TS-1 irons. Played Nobelton this summer with a guy who had them. Looked and sounded nice when hit. Thought they were blades.
                            Nice! Man I looked at the TS-1s for a while, ended up getting mint Tour proffered CBs with tour issue in them,so before spending 1K on the Maltbys I thought I’d give these ago, I’m still waiting for the wedges it’s been a week but I go to the post office every day to look.
                            Last edited by brando92; Jan 12, 2021, 11:00 AM.

Comment

To me, the basic shape and design of a wedge hasn't changed in decades. A wedge is only as good as the person using it. Matlby wedges are just as good as the wedges from the major OEMs but without the major OEM price. If I had to choose a Matlby wedge, the one with the DBM finish really caught my eye only because of its looks.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X