/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

When did you know it was time to drop down a flex?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crunch27 View Post

I see you are a Ping guy. What do you have in your driver, woods and hybrids? Why I ask, I broke my wrist 3 winters ago and didn’t start playing until late June. I played with my KBS stiff shafts that year and it hurt like hell. I have always been happy with my VS Protos in my woods so I found some VS Proto 85 stiff iron shafts on eBay the next winter and installed them in my irons. The VS Protos were yesterday’s technology but were highly rated in their days. I still play them and am still satisfied. If you are looking at Ping irons, I hear and see the Alta CB iron shafts are good. Might be worth a look.

Just to let you know, I will be 68 this summer and should still be good with stiff in a graphite shaft. Stiff in a steel shaft might be a different story.
    Great info, thank you!

I have regular flex in my driver, 4 wood and hybrids. All stock Ping offerings.
    Picked up a 54 & 58 CBX2 wedges that had Aerotech constant weight 90 gram graphite stiff in them.

Quite like the Alta CB in the hybrids.

Hoping to find a set of G400 irons in steel or graphite, some sets on eBay but prices seem very high to me.

Last edited by Pingeye2_fan; Jan 10, 2021, 10:13 PM.
    WITB

D: PING G410 Plus 9* R
    F: PING G25 16.5* R
    H: PING G400 3 19* & 4 22* R
    I: 5 - GW
    W: Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58* S
    P: PING Anser 1966 TR
    P: PING Sigma D66

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Great info, thank you!

I have regular flex in my driver, 4 wood and hybrids. All stock Ping offerings.
      Picked up a 54 & 58 CBX2 wedges that had Aerotech constant weight 90 gram graphite stiff in them.

Quite like the Alta CB in the hybrids.

Hoping to find a set of G400 irons in steel or graphite, some sets on eBay but prices seem very high to me.

Did a Ping web fit out of curiosity, it recommended the following.

Driver 10.5* set to big minus with Project X 5.5
      5 wood Tensei orange R flex
      4 hybrid Alta CB R flex
      5 to UW Alta CB stiff
      54 & 58 Alta CB stiff

Not what I would have thought for the top end of the bag.
      WITB

Comment

Used to play C-Tapers R+ and before that Rifle Flighted 5.5 and hurt a shoulder (frozen shoulder) and went and saw Ian Fraser and ended up with Accra ISeries in 70 in the irons and 80 for the wedges (graphite). Couldn't be happier.

Comment

Went the other way. Always played regular flex then went to stiff driver a dozen years ago and to irons 6 years ago.
          I'm longer and more accurate. Despite well over the 50 threshold
          BAG SM C-130 S...
          WEAPONS...
          Mr driver
          3W TM M2
          HYB 20 TM AEROBURNER
          HYB 24 CALLAWAY RAZR HL
          4 Srixon u765 iron
          5-aw Callaway apex irons 2016

SW 55 TM ATV

PUTTER TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2

Comment

Hopefully the title makes sense, what made you switch from say stiff to regular?

I was always okay with stiff in woods but never liked the feel in irons, Preferred something like a DG R300 which would be on the firmer side of regular I suppose.

In the market for new irons , so should probably wait until things open up again and go for a fitting. Unfortunately I am prone to self diagnosis.
            The only way to really know is by testing in a fitting and multiple fittings. Hit a dozen different shafts and flexes and see what gives you the results you desire.
            A year ago I switched to graphite and basically hit every graphite shaft I could find in regular to stiff flex from 55 grams up to 110 grams; it took a while to find the shaft that felt right and gave me the desired results. If it stopped performing to my liking I imagine I would go through the process again.

Comment

Did a Ping web fit out of curiosity, it recommended the following.

Driver 10.5* set to big minus with Project X 5.5
              5 wood Tensei orange R flex
              4 hybrid Alta CB R flex
              5 to UW Alta CB stiff
              54 & 58 Alta CB stiff

Not what I would have thought for the top end of the bag.
              I wonder how they are able to web-fit a shaft flex like that... seems like black magic

Comment

Originally posted by ping1-a View Post

The only way to really know is by testing in a fitting and multiple fittings. Hit a dozen different shafts and flexes and see what gives you the results you desire.
                A year ago I switched to graphite and basically hit every graphite shaft I could find in regular to stiff flex from 55 grams up to 110 grams; it took a while to find the shaft that felt right and gave me the desired results. If it stopped performing to my liking I imagine I would go through the process again.
                Challenge for me is like I mentioned in another thread, I have played such little golf the last number of years, I feel like I’m coming out of retirement.
                I have everything except irons, so was hoping to make an educated choice/guess and that would give me something to use.

Did a Ping webfit and it seemed to come up with odd choices, like a stiff driver then regular through the set.
                changed a variable and it pulled R flex woods and hybrids and stiff irons and wedges.

unfortunately I didn’t get a lot of feedback on the other thread as when I looked back it was a pretty big brain dump on my part.

Typical over analyzing which I think us golfers can be guilty of sometimes.
                WITB

Comment

Challenge for me is like I mentioned in another thread, I have played such little golf the last number of years, I feel like I’m coming out of retirement.
                  I have everything except irons, so was hoping to make an educated choice/guess and that would give me something to use.

Did a Ping webfit and it seemed to come up with odd choices, like a stiff driver then regular through the set.
                  changed a variable and it pulled R flex woods and hybrids and stiff irons and wedges.

unfortunately I didn’t get a lot of feedback on the other thread as when I looked back it was a pretty big brain dump on my part.

I wouldn't invest the money until you groove your swing a bit first; maybe hit the range 5-6 times when the spring comes and then go for a fitting.

It's a shame to drop $2k on clubs based on some crazy web algo.

If someone is looking to just get clubs then going on kijiji or ebay and spending a few hundred bucks is fine.... they probably just want to knock the rock around and have a laugh with their buddies, may a couple of pints too. If you are serious about the game and are dropping real money, better to do it right. My 2c. Most fittings these days are free if you are planning on spending money. Didn't modern golf say that if you spend $500 the fittings were free?

Comment

Nothing strange here . . . Driver and 3 wood stiff . . . hybrid and irons are reg . . . all graphite shaft . . .
                    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

Nothing strange here . . . Driver and 3 wood stiff . . . hybrid and irons are reg . . . all graphite shaft . . .
                      The strange part for me was it said my two longest clubs should be Driver then 7 wood.
                      WITB

Comment

Originally posted by ping1-a View Post

I wouldn't invest the money until you groove your swing a bit first; maybe hit the range 5-6 times when the spring comes and then go for a fitting.

It's a shame to drop $2k on clubs based on some crazy web algo.

If someone is looking to just get clubs then going on kijiji or ebay and spending a few hundred bucks is fine.... they probably just want to knock the rock around and have a laugh with their buddies, may a couple of pints too. If you are serious about the game and are dropping real money, better to do it right. My 2c. Most fittings these days are free if you are planning on spending money. Didn't modern golf say that if you spend $500 the fittings were free?
                        I have always had a comfort level with Ping irons, I know I would be happy finding a set of G400 or G410, maybe I get lucky with the shaft, if not I don’t mind doing a fitting.
                        WITB

Comment

At a sim I seem to be hitting 75 all the way up to 95. Use regular in everything. Have tried lite but they always lead to a duck hook eventhough I'm a lifelong fader. Can't hit anything stiff or even uniflex or project X 5.5. Tried graphite several times to help with tennis elbow. Settled on lighter shaft steel regular (wilson D7 80 grams and TM RBZ 85 grams). A fitting would help instead of being a club ho.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X