/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Indoor practice putting

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Indoor practice putting

    I'm looking for recommendations for indoor practice putting equipment. In the last several years I haven't touched my clubs for off season practicing but looking for more things to do inside.
    Some kind of putting game I could play with my wife would be cool if such a thing exists.

  • #2
    Just this morning Amazon delivered a putting carpet. It's 3' x 11' so should be big enough to keep me entertained during the lockdown. I intend to use it with an old Boomerang putting aid that I'd picked up years ago at a garage sale. The carpet never sat flat so I never used it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by parskiandhutch View Post
      Just this morning Amazon delivered a putting carpet. It's 3' x 11' so should be big enough to keep me entertained during the lockdown. I intend to use it with an old Boomerang putting aid that I'd picked up years ago at a garage sale. The carpet never sat flat so I never used it.
      Funny - I had the same 3' x 11' Amazon mat delivered a few weeks ago. Great size and it allows you to putt in one direction and then put back in the other. Reasonably good quality for the price also.
      My only issue is that I am trying to learn how to putt cross handed, and I keep putting right off the mat I could use a mat the size of football field....
      No good deed goes unpunished.
      A birdie is usually followed by

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by trebor View Post

        Funny - I had the same 3' x 11' Amazon mat delivered a few weeks ago. Great size and it allows you to putt in one direction and then put back in the other. Reasonably good quality for the price also.
        My only issue is that I am trying to learn how to putt cross handed, and I keep putting right off the mat I could use a mat the size of football field....
        Are these mats superior to a good quality plush carpet? If so would they work well on top of the carpet or are they better for hard surfaces?
        Last edited by guitarman; Jan 13, 2021, 03:46 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by parskiandhutch View Post
          Just this morning Amazon delivered a putting carpet. It's 3' x 11' so should be big enough to keep me entertained during the lockdown. I intend to use it with an old Boomerang putting aid that I'd picked up years ago at a garage sale. The carpet never sat flat so I never used it.
          Can you please post a link to the item you guys grabbed?

          Was it this one?

          https://www.amazon.ca/Putt-Bout-Putt...0570678&sr=8-9


          This one looks good but is a little more money.

          https://www.amazon.ca/Callaway-Odyss...570481&sr=8-79
          WITB

          D: PING G410 Plus 9* R
          F: PING G25 16.5* R
          H: PING G400 3 19* & 4 22* R
          I: 5 - GW
          W: Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58* S
          P: PING Anser 1966 TR
          P: PING Sigma D66

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by guitarman View Post

            Are these mats superior to a good quality plush carpet? If so would they work well on top of the carpet or are they better for hard surfaces?
            A plush carpet (what I used to practice putt on) is typically a slow surface. I wanted something that would provide more speed, so that I could better deal with the 5-10 footers that I may have left short in past....Yogi'ism being "100% of the putts that don't make it to the hole don't go in".
            No good deed goes unpunished.
            A birdie is usually followed by

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

              Can you please post a link to the item you guys grabbed?

              Was it this one?

              https://www.amazon.ca/Putt-Bout-Putt...0570678&sr=8-9


              This one looks good but is a little more money.

              https://www.amazon.ca/Callaway-Odyss...570481&sr=8-79
              It is the Putt-Bout unit. Reasonably good quality and frankly, I set a limit on what I wanted to spend. You can blow your brains out on mats. I just invested in a new putter, and am trying (for me) new ways to grip the club, etc. When all is said and done, I am quite sure that, if I can improve my putting a bit, I can shave the strokes I need to get me back to where I want to be handicap-wise.
              No good deed goes unpunished.
              A birdie is usually followed by

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by trebor View Post

                A plush carpet (what I used to practice putt on) is typically a slow surface. I wanted something that would provide more speed, so that I could better deal with the 5-10 footers that I may have left short in past....Yogi'ism being "100% of the putts that don't make it to the hole don't go in".
                Better on a hard surface, but I use it on a carpet sometimes.
                No good deed goes unpunished.
                A birdie is usually followed by

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by trebor View Post

                  It is the Putt-Bout unit. Reasonably good quality and frankly, I set a limit on what I wanted to spend. You can blow your brains out on mats. I just invested in a new putter, and am trying (for me) new ways to grip the club, etc. When all is said and done, I am quite sure that, if I can improve my putting a bit, I can shave the strokes I need to get me back to where I want to be handicap-wise.
                  I've often wondered if I should buy a new putter. I've been using the same Odyssey 2 ball for the last 15 years. Unlike some here who change clubs quite regularly, I get used to what I have and don't like change. My irons and woods also have not changed and I've never even thought of changing them. But I have thought about a new putter.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by trebor View Post

                    It is the Putt-Bout unit. Reasonably good quality and frankly, I set a limit on what I wanted to spend. You can blow your brains out on mats. I just invested in a new putter, and am trying (for me) new ways to grip the club, etc. When all is said and done, I am quite sure that, if I can improve my putting a bit, I can shave the strokes I need to get me back to where I want to be handicap-wise.
                    How are you finding it for speed? It sounds like you were looking for something fairly fast which is what I am after as well.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have the Puttout mat (and pressure putt trainer) quicker than other ones I have tried. Very happy with it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Smittyman View Post

                        How are you finding it for speed? It sounds like you were looking for something fairly fast which is what I am after as well.
                        It's not "overly" fast. It gives a true roll. I have tried mats in past where their slowness affected my speed when I got to the course - actual greens were way quicker. On a hard surface, it appears to roll faster than on a carpet.
                        But, at the end of the day, faster for me is better. It's bad enough that I am seeing a ton of off-center hits as I try new ways to grip the club. I am just trying to build a reliable & repeatable motion for 5-10 footers. And I don't need one with a ball return (those are basically useless) as my toddler granddaughter loves to collect the balls and bring them back to Gramps.
                        No good deed goes unpunished.
                        A birdie is usually followed by

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by outthere View Post
                          I have the Puttout mat (and pressure putt trainer) quicker than other ones I have tried. Very happy with it.
                          I'm using the same setup and so far, I'm very happy with it. That pressure putt trainer is great!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Saw a great looking Big Moss that can be used indoors and outdoors, has a chipping mat you can distance from the putting mat.

                            Over $700 but shipping was an additional $450.
                            WITB

                            D: PING G410 Plus 9* R
                            F: PING G25 16.5* R
                            H: PING G400 3 19* & 4 22* R
                            I: 5 - GW
                            W: Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58* S
                            P: PING Anser 1966 TR
                            P: PING Sigma D66

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I use the carpet in my bedroom (not too fast, not too slow) and a small hole I have https://www.flaghouse.ca/Sports/Golf...utting-Cup.axd

                              Total cost, about $5.
                              MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Latest TGN Reviews


                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard


                              Collapse

                              Today's Birthdays


                              Working...
                              X