Collapse

Looking for a new putter

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new putter

Now that some stores are opening, for the first time in my life, I’d like to buy a NEW putter. I’ve always bought used or “demo” previously. I’d say my putters at home are split down the middle between blades and mid mallets.

I’d like to try something different but it all depends on feel. I DON’T like spider putters at all. Or the truss for that matter. Just don’t feel right to me. I don’t feel that Scotty’s are worth the money. Especially when other milled putters are $100 less or more in some cases.

I do have a few odyssey’s and will definitely try some of the “new” white hot putters

Granted, I’m not the best golfer or putter in the world, but I do appreciate when my clubs feel and perform a certain way.

what am I left with to try that might surprise me?

is there a putter anyone can honestly say they’ve been faithful to for more than 5 years?

budget wise... I’d like to keep it under $500. I don’t think I’d ever spend more than that unless it could guarantee I’d be the best putter in the world

thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond!!

Cleveland Frontline series is exceptional. Nice feel, has technology similar to Evnroll (variable face milling), good price (~$200 CAD).
    Lots of different head shapes and necks (for toe hang adjustments).

Otherwise Evnroll is what I would go with but its probably over $500.

Taylormade patina series is nice too. Lots of head shapes and necks to find what you are looking for. It would be my third choice behind the two above.
    It that a Titleist?

Comment

I've said this before, but I think it's really simple.

There's two ways to do this, and they end up pretty close IMO.

Both of them rely on paying no attention to the brand. Also no attention to the price (unless it's unaffordable).

1) Go to a proper fitter and find out what you need in a putter. Get what they tell you to get, with any mods they prescribe. It will help make you the best putter you can be; or...

2) Go to GT (or similar) and grab a bunch of putters you think you like and hit putts with them. Put putters that work into one group and putters that don't into another. Repeat with the putters that work until you're down to a winner (or two). Buy that putter, then spend some time practicing with it. You will become a better (more successful) putter this way. If you are lucky, the putter may be affordable too.

Option 2 depends on you picking up a putter with similar characteristics to whatever option 1 would prescribe. If you choose a reasonable number of putters to compare, you should end up pretty close. Close + practice would be pretty good.
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

Only putter that interests me of the new stuff is the 2ball remake. Blades are blades for the most and feel is subjective. I run between blade style and a mid mallet in the Tank Cruiser V-line.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
          I've said this before, but I think it's really simple.

There's two ways to do this, and they end up pretty close IMO.

Both of them rely on paying no attention to the brand. Also no attention to the price (unless it's unaffordable).

1) Go to a proper fitter and find out what you need in a putter. Get what they tell you to get, with any mods they prescribe. It will help make you the best putter you can be; or...

2) Go to GT (or similar) and grab a bunch of putters you think you like and hit putts with them. Put putters that work into one group and putters that don't into another. Repeat with the putters that work until you're down to a winner (or two). Buy that putter, then spend some time practicing with it. You will become a better (more successful) putter this way. If you are lucky, the putter may be affordable too.

Option 2 depends on you picking up a putter with similar characteristics to whatever option 1 would prescribe. If you choose a reasonable number of putters to compare, you should end up pretty close. Close + practice would be pretty good.
          Exactly this, doesn't matter brand, it's what you like the best and the results. Played for years with different style of blades, and changing from time to time to a mallet when blade struggled. Concentrated about 5 years ago to work on getting the putter that could improve my game. Golo Mid had been in my bag ever since and happy I spent the time working on finding it!
          Ping G410 10.5*
          Taylormade M6 3W
          Callaway Diablo Edge 5W
          TaylorMade P790 4 - PW
          Ping Glide Stealth 50*
          Ping Glide Stealth 54*
          Cleveland 588 RTX LW 58*
          Scotty Cameron Select GoLo

Comment

I’ve been fit for one club in my bag in the time I’ve been playing golf. My driver... a year later it’s now the worst club in my bag... absolutely 0 confidence with it and it wasn’t in the top 3 I had in mind at the time. Obviously I know it’s not the clubs fault, and the fitter just makes suggestions based on what readings he was getting. That being said, I won’t be going pro anytime soon so I’m not going to waste someone else’s time let alone my own on something that won’t matter once I step out of the shop.

Like I had previously mentioned; I’ll definitely be going in to possibly 2 GT’s and spending some time with whatever catches my eye looks wise.

I’m merely looking for suggestions on types/brands that people are confident in, fit the eye and wouldn’t pull it out of the bag.

ShanksMcDuck I’ll for sure be giving the Cleveland’s and evnroll’s a look. I’m iffy with taylormade putters but again, I’m willing to roll a few with them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Cleveland putters great value and feel very nice

Comment

For a clean look, check out a Seemore Platinum M7 Tour. I love the straight shaft and clean lines. See this post.

I am currently in the process of doing a bag overhaul for 2021, some new clubs, some older heads with new shafts...etc and I'm almost done, except for the putter. Now, I know that you can use a frozen penguin turd on a stick if it works for your stroke (also pending the temperatures don't rise above freezing), but all these

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
                Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by BarryBadrinath View Post
                  Now that some stores are opening, for the first time in my life, I’d like to buy a NEW putter.

is there a putter anyone can honestly say they’ve been faithful to for more than 5 years?
                  Why does the putter have to be NEW? Buying new is no more guarantee that the putter will be suited to your game/stroke than buying used. And, buying new may unnecessarily limit your options (in terms of price and/or availability).

So, focus on the style of putter that suits you, regardless of where/how you acquire it.

As for my putter, I've been using it (faithfully) for 20+ years, and I would trade every club in the bag before parting with it.

Comment

The only new putter I ever purchased was a centre shafted Seemore, see below.
                    A face balanced putter as opposed to a toe hang putter design, see golf.com article below.
                    For me that was the difference between night and day, but of course we are all different and love and some hate that's the way it is, so you may want to factor this in to your final decision.

https://www.golftown.com/en-CA/clubs...oaApQ9EALw_wcB

https://golf.com/gear/putters/toe-ha...utters-how-to/
                    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

If you can still find one new, the Ping Vault 2.0 putters are a great choice, as well.

Comment

I have been playing an Axis1 putter for 3 years now. I think Justin Rose is still playing this but I cannot afford the model he uses.

I have about 6 other putters that have sat in the basement since then. Even ones I paid 4x the price for. I bought my Axis1 Eagle used for $100. It just feels right. So right that I never think about any other putter anymore.

IMO that is the feeling you have to have. Complete confidence in the stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryBadrinath View Post
                          say my putters at home are split down the middle between blades and mid mallets.

Granted, I’m not the best golfer or putter in the world, but I do appreciate when my clubs feel and perform a certain way.
                          You just answered your own question.
                          IMO....I think you should redirect your $500 towards putting lessons.
                          Putters are personal preference....what works for one...won't work for others.
                          Heck...there are some golfers who can putt well with used putters worth $50.

I suggest creating a thread asking the TGN community who might be the best/better putting coaches in the GTA.
                          I'd also make sure this instructor can demonstrate to you that they are a superior putter before you hire them.

Comment

Originally posted by outthere View Post
                            Cleveland putters great value and feel very nice
                            Pre-Covid....Xmas 2019....50% off sale at Golf Avenue...I bought a mint Huntington Beach #1 for $55.

I had been using my dad's 1970 Ping Anser since 1978.....many putter tried to permanently knock the Anser out...w/o much success.
                            It took a while of back and forth in 2020...but in the fall....I've stuck with the HB #1.
                            I now prefer it's softer face/feel, solid feel and less clank vs. the Anser.

I had read some great reviews on the HB #1....many said for $99 US...it was one on the best valued performing milled faced putters.

Another good value milled face putter were/are the Wilson Infinite Series putters.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Why does the putter have to be NEW? Buying new is no more guarantee that the putter will be suited to your game/stroke than buying used. And, buying new may unnecessarily limit your options (in terms of price and/or availability).

So, focus on the style of putter that suits you, regardless of where/how you acquire it.

As for my putter, I've been using it (faithfully) for 20+ years, and I would trade every club in the bag before parting with it.
                              Well for one, I’ve never bought a NEW putter.

Second, I feel that buying used clubs these days is pointless. Everything in used condition is over priced and the stuff that is almost “new” is roughly the same price as buying new.

Third, you can’t really test a used club unless it’s from a store with that kind of facility.

Fourth... you didn’t mention what putter you’re gaming...

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X