Golf shoes, do we need them?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nomullies
    replied
    Our club is selling FJ spikeless for $69 that seem super comfortable and look like they can be worn anywhere. No size 11 for me sadly. Not the heavy duty kind but my buddies are raving about the comfort. I bought my first Skechers spikeless last year and also my first Echo Biom spiked. While both are ok I'm still on the search for something more comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• duffer_mcmulligan
    replied
    I picked up two pairs of last year's Ecco Biom shoes at SilverTip golf course three weeks ago. Super comfortable, decent traction. Waterproof, proven in spades yesterday, got them half price. Ecco's fit different tho. So need to try them on. I normally take a 9.5, which these are, but my first pair of Ecco's were size 8 and also fit perfectly.

Look for stores with last years models to try. Mine were reg $270/pr, got them for $135/pr all in. (no PST in Alberta)

Leave a comment:

• dmcdam
    replied
    Originally posted by Baldwin View Post

Also agree with the New Balance comments. I sold running shoes for a long time and NB has always been a top brand for having a wide range of fitting options, both narrow and wide.
    And ridiculously large sizes too. I remember ordering NB running shoes up to size 20+.

Leave a comment:

• ping1-a
    replied
    I will wear gortex hiking shoes in poor weather and they work great.
    If you swing aggressive and use a lot of ground force spikes make a difference.

Leave a comment:

• Rammad
    replied
    No question in my mind that a good golf shoe (spiked or unspiked) is essential on the course. I will never forget the embarrassment I felt when I was once in LA on holiday and decided to play a round of gold in my regular running shoes. Took an almighty tumble on the first tee swinging my rented driver. Never again.

Leave a comment:

• Baldwin
    replied
    If you're stuck on running shoes, perhaps try a trail running version. Someone mentioned Salomon, which are great. Asics make some nice ones too. The only issue with a true running shoe is that they are designed for propelling you forward, whereas a golf shoe is designed for lateral stability. Just look for something with a bit more material along the sides and a flatter sole and it should help.

Also agree with the New Balance comments. I sold running shoes for a long time and NB has always been a top brand for having a wide range of fitting options, both narrow and wide.

Leave a comment:

• Risky84
    replied
    I think as long as play in dry conditions ( even morning dew can cause issues ) and don’t swing out your A** I’m sure a decent pair of running shoes or maybe even cross trainers Although runners would be more comfortable , cross trainers will provide more stability

Leave a comment:

• Pingnut
    replied
    FWIW - I play in flip flops as long as the temp is 10*+, regardless of the weather. I find the key to good grip is a soft flexible sole whether it's shoes or sandals.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur Dailey
    replied
    Thanks for all the advice, recommendations and reflections on your own experience. Please keep them coming.

At one point I was worried that I would be restricted to wearing Skechers for the rest of my life.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur Dailey
    replied
    Originally posted by veryold View Post
    THANKS for the nice words and thoughts !
    But IIANM you had some "life challenges" thrown at you recently so maybe the admiration should go the other way around.
    All best and cheers
    Thanks.

Those 'challenges' have certainly changed much of my life.

I just kept referencing what Churchill allegedly said "If you're going through hell, keep going."

Leave a comment:

• petvan
    replied
    I got some spikeless Addidas golf shoes (tour 360 I think) which are pretty and water proof. However, finding a bunch of slipping in my first few rounds, especially with driver. Looking to go back to my soft spikes.

P

Leave a comment:

• mpare
    replied
    AD, obtaining golf shoes for my wide feet (6E) had been a challenge once Footjoy discontinued the double wide old style Contours. I thought that I'd be relegated to playing in sneakers. Fortunately, I found what I needed in from New Balance Breeze Spikeless Golf Shoes 2020 in their 4E wide NBG1801. They're light weight, roomy and provide plenty of support. New Balance had sold out its stock, so I bought them from Carl's Golfland. Surprisingly, the following Footjoy Contours (ordered one-half size larger than I'd normally take) are equallty great, though not quite as roomy, but still ample: FootJoy Extra Wide Contour Casual Golf Shoes - 54057, SKU number - FTJ54057.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
    My feet are hard to fit being about a 3 to 4 E width.
    Had 2 pairs of golf shoes, but one seems to have gone missing while I was out of action. And the other pair is reaching its expiry date.

Thought of buying some on-line but many retailers do not list widths on their site. And the sizing between brands is random.
    And as mentioned I am pathologically opposed to paying 'full retail' price.

I bought a number of pairs of hiking boots back in late November on-line and had to return them all due to sizing issues.
    One pair of Columbia shoes I could not even get my feet into. And my experience with Columbia's customer service was abysmal.

One of my playing partners has foot/heel problems and has stopped wearing his golf shoes, instead wearing some Skechers walkers.

Yesterday, rather than switching into my golf shoes, I kept on a pair of trainers that I wear for walking the dog.

They were/are more comfortable, 'softer' than my golf shoes, I was not quite as tired, they were much better for the walks between some holes on 'pavement', they are generally less expensive than golf shoes. The only drawbacks being getting a pair that are waterproof and perhaps traction when the ground is wet or on steep hills.

What are your experiences and/or recommendations.

Leave a comment:

• AdiosAmigo
    replied
    On a nice dry day there's very little difference. I always wear them when it's a bit moist out. I had my back foot slide out last year and damn near twisted my knee.

Leave a comment:

• golfingtime
    replied
    On vacation, I play golf in running shoes. Notice very little difference. I hate packing shoes.

Leave a comment:

• Wideright
    replied
    New balance golf shoes in their wide widths are pretty wide, my dad has triple E and thought they were so comfortable he bought a bunch of other wide new balance shoes after

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X