• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veryold
    replied
    Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Congrats you have earned my admiration.
    Hope to be able to do the same in the future. Seems like you have just over a decade on me.

That is what I am sort of leaning towards, waterproof 'hiking' shoes.

And yes, as well as my feet, my knees and back felt less strain yesterday.
    THANKS for the nice words and thoughts !
    But IIANM you had some "life challenges" thrown at you recently so maybe the admiration should go the other way around.
    All best and cheers
    Last edited by veryold; Jun 14, 2021, 09:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dmcdam
    replied
    Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
    My feet are hard to fit being about a 3 to 4 E width.
    If you decide you do want to wear golf shoes, I'd try New Balance. They're one of the only companies that regularly produce exceptionally wide widths and oddball sizes.

Leave a comment:

• threeputt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
    Yes, the BOOST system is like walking on air.
    I recently bought the new Adidas code chaos 21 spikeless shoes with boost technology. Wore them today and they are very comfortable right out of the box.

Leave a comment:

• Mr22putt
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post
    My favorite pair of golf shoes are the Adidas 360 XT. They’re full grain leather and waterproof, but have full Boost cushioning and are very comfortable. They come in wide sizes, as well.
    Yes, the BOOST system is like walking on air.

Leave a comment:

• Mr22putt
    replied
    I play in the winter SLOP here.
    I have been using Goretex Ecco & Saucony low rise trail shoes without issues.
    If you're patient and know how to look for a deal....they can be found on Amazon and Sport Chek for $100-$130.
    I found mine for $75-$90 a few years ago.

There are times in dry summer conditions when I'll wear my Saucony running shoes to play golf without issues in traction or scoring.

I feel golf shoes are a bit overhyped and many spikeless golf shoes are basically running shoes.

Leave a comment:

• wlorcb
    replied
    SWMBO put me in a tiff the other day and I forgot to pack my golf shoes(locker room not open yet). So I played in my normal 'running' shoes(I don't run anywhere in them).
    Course conditions were dry and there was no difference in my game at all. I did not slip or slide once.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur Dailey
    replied
    Originally posted by veryold View Post
    I completely abandoned golf shoes years ago, except on rainy/wet days. For dry conditions, it's my favorite Merrell Ankle Hiking Boots, a size larger and with additional sole inserts - just like walking on a cloud. As for lack of spikes, it actually makes is easier on my joints when my feet DO NOT DIG FIRM into the turf, but are allowed to "rotate/glide".
    BTW, I "walk and carry" and am closer to 80 than 70 in my age, LOL.
    Congrats you have earned my admiration.
    Hope to be able to do the same in the future. Seems like you have just over a decade on me.

That is what I am sort of leaning towards, waterproof 'hiking' shoes.

And yes, as well as my feet, my knees and back felt less strain yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• veryold
    replied
    I completely abandoned golf shoes years ago, except on rainy/wet days. For dry conditions, it's my favorite Merrell Ankle Hiking Boots, a size larger and with additional sole inserts - just like walking on a cloud. As for lack of spikes, it actually makes is easier on my joints when my feet DO NOT DIG FIRM into the turf, but are allowed to "rotate/glide".
    BTW, I "walk and carry" and am closer to 80 than 70 in my age, LOL.
    Last edited by veryold; Jun 13, 2021, 01:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Benz
    replied
    I have played wearing running shoes a number of times, but only when walking and because my feet were already sore before I teed off.

What I lost in traction, I made up for in comfort.

Leave a comment:

• Ignatius Reilly
    replied
    Recco number one is "get over your cheapness, this is important". There are better places to go cheap.

I have 2 friends who refuse to pay full retail for anything, and have had a number of unnecessary disappointments and product failures as a result.

Having said that.... I think you'll miss the traction if you try to go with non-golf shoes.

As for wet feet/waterproof, I think you can learn to live with that. I've become a huge fan of "Darn Tough" socks out of Vermont. A blend of Merino wool, nylon and spandex. Guaranteed for life! A big range of sizes, heights and thicknesses/cushioning. They are surprisingly comfy even when wet.

Leave a comment:

• nearace
    replied
    I definitely need spikes of some kind .

Leave a comment:

• TheBaconator
    replied
    Wearing golf shoes isn’t a requirement, especially if you play in dry conditions all the time. Any running shoe with decently sized lugs will do. Many modern golf shoes are built this way.

The issue is when you play early in the morning or when it rains. It doesn’t take long for the dew to soak through a regular running shoe, but waterproof golf shoes will handle it with no issues.

My favorite pair of golf shoes are the Adidas 360 XT. They’re full grain leather and waterproof, but have full Boost cushioning and are very comfortable. They come in wide sizes, as well.

If you have a pair of running shoes that you like playing in, but want to play in the mornings, you may want to try applying a spray that provides some protection from water.

Leave a comment:

• cgasucks
    replied
    For me, a shoe that is perfect for golf is one that is waterproof, has a lot of traction so my feet won't slip on my downswing, and is comfortable since I have to walk 9 or 18 holes.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur Dailey
    started a topic Golf shoes, do we need them?

Golf shoes, do we need them?

My feet are hard to fit being about a 3 to 4 E width.
    Had 2 pairs of golf shoes, but one seems to have gone missing while I was out of action. And the other pair is reaching its expiry date.

Thought of buying some on-line but many retailers do not list widths on their site. And the sizing between brands is random.
    And as mentioned I am pathologically opposed to paying 'full retail' price.

I bought a number of pairs of hiking boots back in late November on-line and had to return them all due to sizing issues.
    One pair of Columbia shoes I could not even get my feet into. And my experience with Columbia's customer service was abysmal.

One of my playing partners has foot/heel problems and has stopped wearing his golf shoes, instead wearing some Skechers walkers.

Yesterday, rather than switching into my golf shoes, I kept on a pair of trainers that I wear for walking the dog.

They were/are more comfortable, 'softer' than my golf shoes, I was not quite as tired, they were much better for the walks between some holes on 'pavement', they are generally less expensive than golf shoes. The only drawbacks being getting a pair that are waterproof and perhaps traction when the ground is wet or on steep hills.

What are your experiences and/or recommendations.
Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
X