Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Who's had success with a golf training aid? Which one actually works?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's had success with a golf training aid? Which one actually works?

Hi nuts,

(Hopefully its okay to post this here, instead of golf lessons/instructions section). Was curious to know if anyone here's used a golf training aid that's actually worked for them and has improved their golf swing as a result of it?

The ones I've been seeing A LOT on social media that have piqued my interest were the Lag Shot one (blue whippy shaft: https://lagshotgolf.com/special?gc_i...SAAEgI-MfD_BwE) and the one that's supposed to correct wrist positions throughout the golf swing, whereby correcting all these other swing issues/positions, apparently (there's a whole bunch out there manufactured by different companies but they all kinda look like this: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Golf-Sw...RD23M426NTJEDT).

Perhaps these tools aren't a substitute for golf lessons but at the same time, maybe they are? Reason being is in the MANY years I've been golfing for (probably over 10 now), I've taken 3 Golf Town lessons ($100 ish bucks), done 4 with someone recommended from here (probably $500 ish) and spent another one lesson with someone also recommended on here ($150) and from all of these lessons, there's maybe only a couple that I felt actually 'really helped'. But now, if these (or any other) swing aids actually do work, it might be something I'd consider buying!

Cheers,

TMAzn

Not a swing aid, but I've really enjoyed my Putt-Out trainer and mat for offseason putting training. Focusing on getting the ball to stop in the indentation is frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. The mat is good quality, and has demarcations for different lengths and a spot for the ramp so distances are consistent each time.

Comment

http://www.medicusgolf.ca/
      and the orange whip

Comment

I’ve found that the Tour Striker Planemate has helped my short game a lot ! Haven’t really gone past that as far as the protocols for Full Swing are concerned but definitely benefited from it !

Comment

Orange Whip or Skilz Weighted trainer (Yellow ball on whippy shaft) works wonders for transition and tempo. Great for stretching out before a round as well.

Comment

Originally posted by agesym View Post
            Orange Whip or Skilz Weighted trainer (Yellow ball on whippy shaft) works wonders for transition and tempo. Great for stretching out before a round as well.
            Same here. I have the 40 inch Skilz version. I've always had problems with tempo (swinging too quickly from the top) and too tight a grip (death grip). I soon as I started using this training aid I saw immediate results with both my tempo and grip pressure. Now I'm hitting the ball a lot more solid and consistently.

I use it a lot at home just practicing slowing down my take away and transition and speeding up at impact and beyond.

Comment

Hey Frank,

Hope all is well...

So what are you trying to fix? Anything in particular or just looking for a general training aid?

Comment

Originally posted by agesym View Post
                This above... great for transition and tempo but I use it more for pre round muscle stretching and warmup.
                It works great and not a lot of money.

Cheers!
                -- Bill --

Comment

Sholls

https://www.golfwrx.com/231655/how-a...longer-drives/
                  things change

Comment

Originally posted by spas1 View Post
                    Hey Frank,

Hope all is well...

So what are you trying to fix? Anything in particular or just looking for a general training aid?
                    Hey Siva,

All's okay and well... I don't really golf as much I used to these days, ever since having my first kid 4 mths ago. But now in the rare, off-chance I am able to golf, I guess I just don't wanna suck, hence my inquiry into a training aid.

So in that sense, I think I'm just kind of considering looking into a general training aid that'll help my overall swing, if that makes any sense. Especially when you consider that I don't have the same of range/practice time these days either. So basically a training aid that I can practice with whenever I can so that when I play, the hope is the mechanics ingrained from using the training aid will hopefully kick in.

I've only used/owned three golf training aids ever; a Medicus, hinged driver and 7 iron (which I don't think I found overly helpful), and one of those weighted clubs with a grip that purposely positions ones hands to hold a golf club correctly (this I kinda found helpful for sure).

Comment

For me it’s a trio of the puttout trainer, a good putting carpet off Amazon and a Pelz putting tour. Game changing to be honest. My ball rolls over end to end so nicely now and I am making a ton of 4-6 footers that frequently I missed before. I have all this set up in my office and roll putts while on conference calls. Now I just need something to help me read greens better on those longer putts.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post
                        Not a swing aid, but I've really enjoyed my Putt-Out trainer and mat for offseason putting training. Focusing on getting the ball to stop in the indentation is frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. The mat is good quality, and has demarcations for different lengths and a spot for the ramp so distances are consistent each time.
                        Would any decent putting mat work, the only rug in our house runs about 3 on the stimpmeter ​​​​​​.

I was in a Winners and they were clearing out the Puttout trainers so I impulsively grabbed one.

PING G410 Plus 10.5*
                        PING G25 4 wood 16.5*
                        PING G400 7 wood 20.5*
                        PING G400 3 & 4 hybrid 19* & 22*
                        PING G400 5 - UW

PING Anser 1966 TR
                        Titleist Tour Soft yellow
                        Hooferlite Mr. Ping edition
                        Bag Boy Nitron cart

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Would any decent putting mat work, the only rug in our house runs about 3 on the stimpmeter ​​​​​​.

I was in a Winners and they were clearing out the Puttout trainers so I impulsively grabbed one.

Yes, you don’t need the Putt Out mat, but I like how it has a spot to place the Putt Out on it for consistency.

Any mat will work. The Putt Out has small plastic spikes in the bottom of it to keep it in place.

Comment

Too many to list and they probably all work if I stuck with them. I will say my favourites are the Medicus iron for tempo and the strap thing with holes to keep your arms together. The whip trainer and sand bag are ok but now gathering dust. The yellow plastic one that wraps around your club and sets your arms was a waste. The heavy club with grip is still around.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                            X