No announcement yet.
Collapse

Question...Re: How is your bag set up?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question...Re: How is your bag set up?

Just pondered a question now after what all the posts I read from swaain's thread (Re: How is your bag set up) that maybe one of the equipment guru's can answer or enlighten with their thoughts.

Since it seems that the trend now that more and more golfers are putting hybrids in their bag and that most of the golfer's iron sets are now starting from 5-PW or 6-PW, will the OEM companies in the near future start selling iron sets starting from 5i or start selling combo sets? Or will they stick to continue to sell 3i-PW?

It just doesn't make much sense as a purchaser to have to buy the extra two long-irons when they're gonna be shelled up in the garage. I'm not even high on getting a combo set, because it limits you to have to purchase their hybrids when there's so much choice out there to purchase individual ones.
    Feherty: " 270 to carry the water, you might want to lay up SnowFlake "

Re: Question...Re: How is your bag set up?

You would think they would, but then they want you to buy the irons 3-pw, then buy the additional hybrids.....

Comment

If in the new year, Callaway (or any other OEM) sold a 5iron-PW 2006 model-line set for the same MSRP as this year's 3iron-PW model-line set do you think there would be any -ve affect on sales?

as consumers, we would expect that they cater to our habits, ie. offer the reduced set at a reduced price.

more likely is they'll have option upgrades for the 3 and 4 irons in the form of a hybrid.
      PING G2 10°... Callaway Steelhead 3W ... Mizuno Fli-Hi 21° ... Callaway X-14 PS ... Cleveland 588 RTG 53° & 57° ... PING Anser3 ... Maxfli Noodle ... Sun Mountain C-130

Comment

I'd love to see some stats on how many players are carrying hybrids instead of long irons and which irons have been replaced.

For a manufacturer to take out the long irons for hybrids may lower sales stats show that more players carry long irons than hybrids. They would probably won't switch until a mucher higher majority are playing those hybrids instead of long irons.

Also I suspect that not all players replace both 3 and 4 irons with hybrids. Therefore a 5-pw set presents the fact that they have to purchase a 4 iron or go and buy a 4 hybrid to complete the set.
        Tour Edge Exotics w/Accra T60 M4
        Cleveland Launcher Ti 3W w/Accra HF

TaylorMade Rescue Dual 19* w/UST IRod

Nakashima NP-1 w/Project X

Titliest
        Spin Mill 56* & 60* w/Rifle Spinners
        Yes! Tracy Goosen Edition
        Maxfli Rev Tour

Comment

Unfortunately the reality is that providing choice for iron sets might hurt the bottom line of OEM sales, but as a consumer it'd be nice to feel that you didn't get ripped off paying for one or two more clubs that you might not need.
          Feherty: " 270 to carry the water, you might want to lay up SnowFlake "

Comment

Yeah and who is in the market for a 3 and 4 iron?

Comment

I'd like to take the 3 or 4 out of my bag but I'd also like to have it in there to be able to get the ball out of the grass. So many choices argggggggggh.
              Tour Edge Exotics w/Accra T60 M4
              Cleveland Launcher Ti 3W w/Accra HF

TaylorMade Rescue Dual 19* w/UST IRod

Nakashima NP-1 w/Project X

Titliest
              Spin Mill 56* & 60* w/Rifle Spinners
              Yes! Tracy Goosen Edition
              Maxfli Rev Tour

Comment

I can answer that question. If you purchase a set of fitted clubs, most OEM's will allow you to order your set however you wish. Be it 4-pw or 6-pw, sw,lw, etc. Also, some companies do have the hybrid set now available, it is just that not many of the retailers promote it. Taylormade has a set available, as does, Adams, Nike, ben Hogan and many others.

Most sets still come set up as the traditional of 3-pw or now even as 4-sw.

Do not let a sales person ever tell you otherwise. 90% of all OEM's will allow a custom set to go out however the client wishes.

Jeff
                WITB:

Stage 2 Tour / Accra CB 55 M4
                Stage 2 Tour 16.5 / Accra Tour Z LS 65 M4
                Adams A12 Tour 3,4 / Accra Dymatch RT S3 M4
                Miura 501 CB / Accra Hybrex M4
                Titleist TVD Wedgeworks
                Scotty Cameron Tour Rat
                Scotty Cameron Knuckelhead
                Ball: Lethal

Comment

I know it was a promotion at the time, but I got a rescue mid 3 along with 4-sw in irons when I bought my TM rac HTs. They also offered a 3-4-5 hybrid, 6-pw iron combo set with the rac OS. You could drop the 5h for a 5i if you wanted too. This set was a bit of a premium over the normal iron set price, but not nearly as expensive as getting a 3-pw set plus 3 TM hybrids. I think like Swaaain said, the OEMs are getting into it.

Comment

Originally posted by spackler
                    I know it was a promotion at the time, but I got a rescue mid 3 along with 4-sw in irons when I bought my TM rac HTs. They also offered a 3-4-5 hybrid, 6-pw iron combo set with the rac OS. You could drop the 5h for a 5i if you wanted too. This set was a bit of a premium over the normal iron set price, but not nearly as expensive as getting a 3-pw set plus 3 TM hybrids. I think like Swaaain said, the OEMs are getting into it.
                    Not surprising at all. I should have done this when I bought my G2 irons, but I thought the G2HLs would work for me. They didn't, and now carry 3h & 4H Hogan Edge CFT hybrids.
                    When I play golf, I always hit the ball really good, but then it always goes someplace really bad.

Comment

When I got my TM CGBs this year (4-SW) TM also had a promotional free rescue mid on. So I got a rescue 2 with it. (I already had the rescue 3-4 from last year). But if it was a new set you could get a 3 rescue and 4-SW if you wanted. nothing like a set of irons and a free hybrid !

Which reminds me I have the 4 iron floating around here somewhere.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X