No announcement yet.
Collapse

Who make the most forgiving long irons?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who make the most forgiving long irons?

I wanted to get everyone's feedback on what manufacturer makes the most forgiving long irons. I am a 50 year old golfer that has been steadily losing distance on irons (6 to 4 irons). I currently use TM P790's and love them from 7 iron up. I will be getting a fitting next month and would love to hear some feedback on what game improvement long irons you would recommend. I kind of have my eye on a couple - Mizuno JPX921 hot metal and Titleist T300's. Let me hear your thoughts!

With P790 you already have a very strong lofted set, and quite larger head. Not sure what a Hot Metal or T300 would offer, and T300 also have a lot of offset which may be visually off-putting to some. Maybe a lighter or softer shaft in the long irons could help. Any hybrids in your bag ?

Are you making centred contact with your long irons ? My guess is not, hence your post.
    Consider possibly going a bit shorter in length, and also check out Dan's TLT build method.
    Contact is King IMO, and distance is about 80% attributed to head loft, and 20% shaft length

I always say the reason I hit my 9i much better than my 5i is merely because it is shorter.
    A millisecond before impact, the ball does not know what club is coming into it -> it only prefers to me hit by the center of the face of whatever is coming in. Yes the added back-spin of a 9i will keep it straighter than that of a 5i. And Yes you will have a minor max-potential-distance loss in the longer irons, but your average will most likely be up to a more consistent repeatable distance.

Lessons are also an option to help identify flaws that get magnified with longer irons..

Cheers ~ Andy
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
    Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
    Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Where are you doing the fitting?

I would be really interested what they recommend. A really good fitter will give you a much better answer than a random guy that has next seen you swing.

But here is the random guy's thoughts..... It sure sounds like an extra hybrid should replace your 4 iron. Maybe the 5 as well. Could also have one hybrid replace the two of them and add an extra wedge?

Random thoughts to consider but nothing replaces a really good fitter.... if your swing the day you go is similar to normal.

Comment

Since you can hit a 7 iron, perhaps consider Cobra One Length longer irons and even hybrid.

If you watch the YT golf club testers who test clubs, they like to knock One Length clubs especially in the short iron/wedges. This area of testing is the wrong area to test though because the better players can already hit those and the adjustment to longer short irons takes a lot longer to feel comfortable [FYI One Length Wedges flight a lot higher]..

The long irons are the hardest clubs to hit in almost everyone's bag and this is where reviewers should focus most of their attention on when testing One Length clubs. Many of them really find the long irons in One Length much easier to hit. The "problem" most have is the clubs look/feel and they do not flight as high but IMO that's not as important as confidence/ability to hit the ball where you want. With One Length you're supposed to swing the same for every club, do not change your setup, do not try and swing harder even though you're swinging a long iron...psychologically you think shorter long iron club you have to swing harder to get the distance but that's wrong thinking.

ONE LENGTH 4 IRON TESTED and compared to a regular length 4 iron with Dan Hendriksen from Torquay golf club. Dan hits his new One Length 4 iron up and compar...

13:50 mark
        COBRA F8 HYBRID AND ONE LENGTH HYBRIDMark Crossfield and Dan do some real testing on course and with dry ball data to show what these two hybrids could do fo...

Comment

You should check out the Titleist T300s and T400s, if you want "long irons".

If your speed has dropped off, you would be better served with FW woods or hybrids.

If you want to play an iron and don't want to break the bank... look for some Ping GMax longer irons, they are older and can be found on ebay and such, they are very forgiving.

Comment

Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal. Super easy to hit.

Comment

53 years old. I also recommend Hot metal. It is really easy to hit 4 iron and long distance . Mine is hot metal pro which with less offset.

Comment

Callaway Diablo edge

Relics from the past but very forgiving.

Currently I'd say ping

Comment

TaylorMade makes the most forgiving irons available.

Comment

Originally posted by Mizer View Post
                    TaylorMade makes the most forgiving irons available.
                    Based on what criteria?
                    In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                    Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                    TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                    TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                    PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                    TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                    Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                    TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

Based on what criteria?
                      All tests conducted by independent testers all over Youtube.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                      X