Collapse

Getting New Gear Based on My TXG Fitting

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting New Gear Based on My TXG Fitting

I did a driver-through-irons clubfitting with TXG a few weeks ago, and it was a great experience. I really enjoyed the the methodical and data-driver process of testing out different head/shaft profiles and really optimizing performance. My fitter, Alex, took the time to explain what/why we were doing throughout the process and was patient to answer all of my questions during and after the session as well.

Here's a small summary of the numbers, for reference, my driver SS is in the high 80s:

New Setup
    Club Carry Total Yds Ball Speed Spin Avg Dispersion
    G425 Max 9* w/Accra TZ6 55 M3 202 222 127.7 2715 15.05 yds
    Sim2 Max 5w w/Accra TZ6 65 M3 177 194 118 4290 8.15
    G425 3h w/ Tensei Orange 60 166 183 112 3542 7.7
    P790 6i w/Modus 105 regular 148 160 105 4426 9.77
    Old Setup:
    Club Carry Total Yds Ball Speed Spin Avg Dispersion
    G30 10.5* w/stock Alta stiff 193 213 124.28 2959 25.9 yds
    VRPro 4w w/PX6.0 170 183 115.54 4235 9.88
    G25 6i w/CFS regular 142 153 103.35 5000 8.18
    A few observations:
    - I gained approximately 0.5-1 club lengths across my bag and ball speed was up as well.
    - The G425 w/Accra gave me a lot of confidence that I could just swing and let it rip. The key focus was reducing spin and reducing height (~2-3 yards). The average spin numbers for the G30 above are a bit skewed as I hit a couple big hooks. My typical miss is right, and on those ones, spin was well over 3000 for those ones.
    - The P790 was set at 2* weak compared to stock, so both 6i's were approximately the same loft.
    - The P790 shot pattern was all to the right, but it was extremely consistent. My shots were all approximately 1* toe up, so my actual irons will be adjusted flatter to move the ball flight back left. This should help with reducing the dispersion.

My final bag will be the following:

G425 Max 9* driver w/Accra TZ6 55 M3
    Sim2 Ti 13.5* 3w w/Accra TZ6 65 M3
    Sim2 Max 18* 5w w/Accra TZ6 65 M3
    G425 19* 3h w/Tensei Orange 60R
    P790 5-GW w/Modus 105R (lofts weakened by 2*)

I ordered the P790 irons through TXG, and the other components are being assembled through demo sales and the BST.

I didn't do an actual ball fitting, but my fitter recommended that I play a high-spin ball like the Pro V1X. Any suggestions on other balls that would work similarly? I typically play whatever ball I find, but I guess I should start playing a consistent ball to really optimize things.
    Last edited by SW20 MR2; Nov 29, 2021, 03:57 PM.
    Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
    TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
    TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
    Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
    TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
    Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
    Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
    LAB Mezz, Accra
    Current hcp ~ 14

My brother did the same and was very happy with the service and attention to detail. His only complaint was he hit so many balls he was fried at the end.
    WITB
    9.5 Nike Covert
    15 TM Rocketballz
    3-P Nike Pro Vr Combo
    52,56,60 Nike X3X Wedges
    TM White Smoke

Comment

LOL, I was definitely getting tired. I hit 171 shots in 3 hours.
      LAB Mezz, Accra
      Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Originally posted by SW20 MR2 View Post
        Sounds like my typical front 9

Comment

Fair enough, but did you find it tougher walking uphill or downhill?

Comment

Hahahaha, who needs hills to get tired? I'm the type of guy who gets tired playing hockey before the puck even drops.
            LAB Mezz, Accra
            Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

"My shots were all approximately 1* toe up, so my actual irons will be adjusted flatter to move the ball flight back left."

That doesn't really make sense. If anything, unless you're left-handed, going flatter is going to promote the ball going more to the right. Were the modus 105 no upcharge?

Comment

Originally posted by BorLorBao View Post
                "My shots were all approximately 1* toe up, so my actual irons will be adjusted flatter to move the ball flight back left."

That doesn't really make sense. If anything, unless you're left-handed, going flatter is going to promote the ball going more to the right. Were the modus 105 no upcharge?
                Doh, I meant going more upright. The Modus were no upcharge.
                LAB Mezz, Accra
                Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Solid fitting.

If you are going to go to that effort to dial things in, yeah.... it's time to stop playing whatever ball you find.

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post
                    Solid fitting.

If you are going to go to that effort to dial things in, yeah.... it's time to stop playing whatever ball you find.
                    This ^^^^

First of all, great post by the way SW20 MR2...

With everything they threw at you, I’m surprised they didn’t preach consistency with your ball choice - Afterall, the ball is the most important piece of equipment in your bag...

Hopefully, you go consistent for the upcoming season, but was also interested in the ball choice they provided you. The Pro V1X is a 'low spin' ball with 'high' compression. It doesn't appear your numbers would justify this ball, and it would likely hurt your game. Did they reall say this ball is for you?

If your swing speed is in the 80's, a school of thought is your ball choice should be one that has a compression rating of around 80, etc. (Pro V1X has a compression rating of around 100, one of the hardest balls you can play)...

The chart linked below is a good guide:

https://golftoolspro.com/golf-ball-compression-chart/

PS: I'm going for a fitting my wife won for me at an auction, at a place in Kitchener called 'Golf Vault', not sure if anyone has heard of them:
                    https://golfvault.com/pages/club-fittings

Looking forward to it regardless, if it's worth posting anything afterwards I will.

Cheers,

- Ian
                    Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
                    Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
                    Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
                    Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
                    Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
                    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
                    SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
                    Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
                    Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                    SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

We talked about the ball for a few minutes, but not in a lot of detail. The general guidance was that I needed a higher spin ball like the Pro v1x, Chrome Soft, etc.

Is the Pro v1x low spin though? When I look at this page (see the table in the Data section before the reader comments), it lists the Pro v1x as one of the higher spinning balls:

https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/

I'm still trying to make heads or tails about golf balls and the various factors such as spin, compression, impact of swing speed, etc. I understand why a low/mid compression ball would make sense for my swing speed, but in my case, why would I need a high spin ball?
                      Last edited by SW20 MR2; Dec 5, 2021, 05:42 PM.
                      LAB Mezz, Accra
                      Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

We talked about the ball for a few minutes, but not in a lot of detail. The general guidance was that I needed a higher spin ball like the Pro v1x, Chrome Soft, etc.

Is the Pro v1x low spin though? When I look at this page (see the table in the Data section before the reader comments), it lists the Pro v1x as one of the higher spinning balls:

https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/

I'm still trying to make heads or tails about golf balls and the various factors such as spin, compression, impact of swing speed, etc. I understand why a low/mid compression ball would make sense for my swing speed, but in my case, why would I need a high spin ball?
                        You are correct. The Pro V1X is a high spin ball.
                        TXG Custom King Cobra F9 9,5* , Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                        TXG Custom King Cobra F9 14.5*,Accra FX 140 2.0 M3
                        TXG Custom Cobra King Ltd. 5-wood 18*, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                        TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                        T. Made R7 CGB Max 4-iron, REAX 55S
                        TXG Custom Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2"
                        TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/06, 60/06, Nippon 950H Neo
                        Cleveland RTX4 Raw, 56*, Tour Issue DG S400
                        TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, Garsen non-taper grip

Comment

Was just looking at this vid:

https://youtu.be/xXEf7ZQP9k8

They compared the B-RXS to the Pro v1x, and the guy’s SS is similar to mine. It looks like the v1x came out ahead for him as well. I suppose this is just an example of the need to get fit and not necessarily apply generalities.
                          LAB Mezz, Accra
                          Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post
                            Solid fitting.

This... 10000%

I've been on a mission lately to get rid of some of my more meagre golf balls, or even those that I've found out there.

After seeing some data from the mygolfspy ball test, I've limited my choices down to a handful, plus some other ones that I am curious about - all of which I am now testing at simulators w/ GCquad equipment.

Only way to know which ball will behave for you is to TEST them out yourself.

Strange how Taylormade balls have not been behaving for me. It's a toss up for me between:
                            1. Srixon Z Star XV
                            2. Left dash prov1x
                            3. Left DOT prov1 - the softer feel of this ball is nice, but ball speed isn't as hot for me as the left dash.

This ball journey is intriguing to me.....

Comment

Originally posted by NovaRaven View Post

This... 10000%

I've been on a mission lately to get rid of some of my more meagre golf balls, or even those that I've found out there.

After seeing some data from the mygolfspy ball test, I've limited my choices down to a handful, plus some other ones that I am curious about - all of which I am now testing at simulators w/ GCquad equipment.

Only way to know which ball will behave for you is to TEST them out yourself.

Strange how Taylormade balls have not been behaving for me. It's a toss up for me between:
                              1. Srixon Z Star XV
                              2. Left dash prov1x
                              3. Left DOT prov1 - the softer feel of this ball is nice, but ball speed isn't as hot for me as the left dash.

This ball journey is intriguing to me.....
                              It is intriguing.

For the average guy that is just playing for fun any decent ball might be ok, but for the guy investing in dialing in his equipment at a place like TXG you should likely play the ball you tested with, otherwise the fitting could be completely off.

If you want to try other balls, make sure you test them properly and maybe bring the stats back to your fitter for some input. I'm sure TXG would take a few minutes to review the numbers with you if you emailed them.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X