/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Draw biased, low spin, low launch driver?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have similar numbers as you I have tested the sim 2 max D and Callaway Sub zero. Both I found like I was swinging a club with extra weight in the head distance was nothing more and slice was more then my Ping G410 LST that I game now.
    like others said pay for a fitting and find what works for you in the long run will cost you less then trying this and that. Good luck

Comment

Last month I purchased a demo Callaway Big Bertha 21 for my son who's just getting back into the game.
      It's designed for what you're looking for. He's hitting very well in the sims so far. Has excellent reviews online.

Best in 22!
      Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV blue 55 s
      Ping G425 5 wood
      Ping G425 4 Hybrid
      Srixon U85 Utility 5

Srixon Z 785 irons - Nippon Modus 120 s
      Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
      Bettinardi Queen B6

Prov1x ball
      hcp-6

Comment

Here’s a video of someone’s son using an anti-slice driver vs lessons.

https://youtu.be/XDj3oAafqqk

Comment

Thanks everyone. wish there was a like button I could hit for you all.

Re: Big Bertha 21, I have a B21 4 hybrid...its a nice club, but cant say it feels any different from my 3 Hybrid Mavrik Max, other than the difference in club loft, so Im not sure I'd get a lot of bang for my buck for it. Might be too close in model iterations.

I reached out to a guy I play hockey with who used to be a PGA instructor (he's in a different business now) he recommended a guy named David Fritz for lessons, so I'll try to book an indoor session with him this month. I'll also try to get a fitting at TXG- I presume, for my needs any of the staff there should be able to help (ie I prob dont need a master-fitter)?

Comment

Originally posted by Lars and the girl View Post
            I reached out to a guy I play hockey with who used to be a PGA instructor (he's in a different business now) he recommended a guy named David Fritz for lessons, so I'll try to book an indoor session with him this month. I'll also try to get a fitting at TXG- I presume, for my needs any of the staff there should be able to help (ie I prob dont need a master-fitter)?
            Your friend gave you really good advice. If you see David Fritz, he will be using a launch monitor and would inform you if your current equipment was holding you back.

Comment

Originally posted by RutgersKev View Post

I do believe that for higher cap players....lessons are more helpful vs getting new sticks to help lower scores
              BUT
              The video would have more creditability if we saw 10-12 drives from Jason after Shiels gave him some new golf tips....especially after he had him change his grip.
              Heck....that one good result shown might have been the only good strike of several inconsistent drives....even with the new grip.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                The video would have more creditability if we saw 10-12 drives from Jason after Shiels gave him some new golf tips....especially after he had him change his grip.
                Heck....that one good result shown might have been the only good strike of several inconsistent drives....even with the new grip.
                Rick Shiels has been a PGA pro for a long time, you question his ability to fix a slice? That first swing was not changing with any driver shaft. The swing he had after the lesson looked better, but it’s just a YouTube video, not a documentary.

Comment

Rick Shiels has been a PGA pro for a long time, you question his ability to fix a slice? That first swing was not changing with any driver shaft. The swing he had after the lesson looked better, but it’s just a YouTube video, not a documentary.
                  No, I'm not questioning Shiel's ability to instruct.
                  I'm commenting that the video gives the impression to the na´ve that 10 minutes of golf tips can make one hit straight 270 yard drives.
                  I would have liked to see a few more swings and their results....kinda believe they'd be a far cry from the 270 yard drive.

Comment

Interesting. Agreed the swing makes by far the biggest impact as opposed to equipment. But I swapped drivers with a buddy for indoor sim hitting. He got my TM Stage 2 and I his Cally BB Alpha 815. He had it set to +2, or 12.5 degrees, and D for draw. It is one inch shorter. I hit it a good 20-25 times. Only two crappy ones. The rest were high, soft fades, which I can live with. Plenty of distance. Normally a lot of pulls and slices. I'll try +1 next time out. I'm really hoping he decides he wants my TM and we can permamently swap. Otherwise I'm on the lookout for a similar Cally. I do use Cally 3-5-7 woods and love them as well.

Another video comparing three "slice stoppers" was interesting.

https://youtu.be/MVwTpJvC0JM

Last edited by nomullies; Jan 2, 2022, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Proven results > anecdotal musings

Comment

The easiest and best quick method for slice correction is using an offset driver head.

The best long term method is to correct the setup, grip and swing plane flaws that lead to the golfer's slice. It is often a simple fix so not difficult once the contributing factor(s) are identified.

Comment

For the truly serious who scrounge for a low spin driver that runs forever on mid summer turf, look for the rare Bridgestone J33R.
                          https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-u...s/j33r-drivers
                          It sounded like the classic deep face Titleist 975J, another animal if you can find it.
                          things change

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                            For the truly serious who scrounge for a low spin driver that runs forever on mid summer turf, look for the rare Bridgestone J33R.
                            https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-u...s/j33r-drivers
                            It sounded like the classic deep face Titleist 975J, another animal if you can find it.
                            j33R is one of my all time favs. Such a great feel as well

agree these tall faced drivers are the bomb for low spin.

Comment

I thought I'd update the thread since everyone was so kind to have contributed to it. I like to always give others the opportunity to say "I told you so" as well.

Tried to book a lesson, but you know....mini lockdown again.
                              Managed to get a fitting though.
                              it ended up being more of a lesson than a fitting though as obviously I have a lot of swing issues. Recommendation was, my club is probably fine (a mavrik Max is a good club for me) at this time, or at least isnt my biggest problem although a lower loft model ie 9deg, turned down all the way would be better. We tried a different shaft (lighter, less torquey) and it felt slightly better. So the RX for me is lowest loft possible, low spin, most forgiving, and most of all, lessons.

Part of the problem was, with all of the new stuff in my head i had just been shown to improve in my swing, i was swinging worse than ever....it takes some time to digest all that and put it into practice. But I respect that the fitter was doing the best with what he had to work with. I wish I had come in with better skills to have gotten more out of it.
                              I did get to try a G425, which was something I had always wanted to try, but again, my confused swing wouldnt strike it properly to get much of an impression of it.

I hope this doesnt sound like buyers remorse, it truly isnt. I got a lot of good info out of it, and some good time to take some swing on a cold winter day anyway. And I was told I can come back at another point to try it again and see if we can get more out of it.

That said, gear ho's gotta ho....so, my cousin tipped me off yesterday on the callaway pre-owned 30% off sale, so Ive got an epic Max LS in 9deg coming my way to address the loft and spin recommendations from the fitting lol.
                              Dont worry, lessons are still on the agenda but seems my hands are tied for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars and the girl View Post
                                I thought I'd update the thread since everyone was so kind to have contributed to it. I like to always give others the opportunity to say "I told you so" as well.

Tried to book a lesson, but you know....mini lockdown again.
                                Managed to get a fitting though.
                                it ended up being more of a lesson than a fitting though as obviously I have a lot of swing issues. Recommendation was, my club is probably fine (a mavrik Max is a good club for me) at this time, or at least isnt my biggest problem although a lower loft model ie 9deg, turned down all the way would be better. We tried a different shaft (lighter, less torquey) and it felt slightly better. So the RX for me is lowest loft possible, low spin, most forgiving, and most of all, lessons.

Part of the problem was, with all of the new stuff in my head i had just been shown to improve in my swing, i was swinging worse than ever....it takes some time to digest all that and put it into practice. But I respect that the fitter was doing the best with what he had to work with. I wish I had come in with better skills to have gotten more out of it.
                                I did get to try a G425, which was something I had always wanted to try, but again, my confused swing wouldnt strike it properly to get much of an impression of it.

I hope this doesnt sound like buyers remorse, it truly isnt. I got a lot of good info out of it, and some good time to take some swing on a cold winter day anyway. And I was told I can come back at another point to try it again and see if we can get more out of it.

That said, gear ho's gotta ho....so, my cousin tipped me off yesterday on the callaway pre-owned 30% off sale, so Ive got an epic Max LS in 9deg coming my way to address the loft and spin recommendations from the fitting lol.
                                Dont worry, lessons are still on the agenda but seems my hands are tied for now.

Sounds like a good result. Good luck with it.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X