/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Draw biased, low spin, low launch driver?

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Draw biased, low spin, low launch driver?

    Seasons greetings, friends!
    Can I get some recommendations for a draw biased, low spin, low launch driver?

    Im currently using a Mavrik Max (with a TM RBZ Black 10.5 as a “backup” lol), swing speed 85-90, Reg shafts. Spin is about 2800. Not getting great distance, 180-210 ish…when I feel like I’m striking it well, I hit big moon shots that get lost in the clouds lol…look like home runs…but it seems I’d be better off with more of a line drive shape to lose less distance. Both drivers have similar results. Strangely, I hit my old RBZ 5 wood almost as far…low 200s.
    im still working on consistency…I hit some push slices and fades.

    I know I need more lessons and a fitting would be ideal, but trying to solve what I can under the current environment with some practice time in a simulator.
    Last edited by Lars and the girl; Dec 30, 2021, 09:05 AM.

  • #2
    I know this might not be the answer you want to hear, but for your swing speed, 210 isn’t a terrible carry. You likely hit your 5 wood as far because of the higher launch angle it offers.

    You could try popping in a low spin shaft into the driver. I’m a big believer in getting people into the stiffest driver shaft they can handle. Even just a stock X flex will help to knock some spin off. The trick being, you need to maintain enough launch angle to get the ball airborne.

    Instead of spending a bunch of money on various heads and shafts, it would be worthwhile to just spend $100 on a driver fitting. Then take the results and find the shaft they recommend on the used market.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you. I really appreciate the advice.
      I should mention, the yards mentioned were total yards, not carry...and the 210+ isnt as frequent as I wish it were lol. More commonly just under 200 total.
      Im wondering if the "Max" type clubs I use might be too high launch oriented vs the standard heads? Id like to at least go into a fitting with a more suitable head.

      Comment


      • #4
        See if you can find a used SIM, Callaway Sub zero, Ping 410 LST on the rack at Golftown and push the sliding weight into the draw position. Then ask real nicely if they could put a low spin shaft into the driver (they should have stock HZDRS Smokes or even the Ventus on the fitting racks). If you have only used regular flex shafts, give something stiffer a try.

        Give this a go and see if you like the results better. At least this will let you know if it's an idea worth pursuing, or if it's just your technique that's causing the issues. I find that shafts make more of a difference in killing spin and getting the flight down.

        Comment


        • #5
          Awesome, thanks so much!

          Comment


          • #6
            I would suggest sticking with the lessons to learn to hit the ball better rather (assuming it's an OTT, descending blow currently) than go down the rabbit hole of trying to find something that works, unless of course going for a good fitting as you will learn your delivery numbers there.

            At that SS number, even in prime numbers you will only be carrying it 190ish anyway, and then roll out is dependant on other things.

            Just changing your path (not an instant fix) and hitting more up will change everything.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TheBananaSlice View Post
              I know this might not be the answer you want to hear, but for your swing speed, 210 isn’t a terrible carry. You likely hit your 5 wood as far because of the higher launch angle it offers.

              You could try popping in a low spin shaft into the driver. I’m a big believer in getting people into the stiffest driver shaft they can handle. Even just a stock X flex will help to knock some spin off. The trick being, you need to maintain enough launch angle to get the ball airborne.

              Instead of spending a bunch of money on various heads and shafts, it would be worthwhile to just spend $100 on a driver fitting. Then take the results and find the shaft they recommend on the used market.
              Shafts don't spin. Sorry, but this is really, really bad advice. How many people have you fit over the years with evidence to back this up? What controls spin is how you present dynamic loft to the golf ball along with strike point on the head. A good player can make a ladies flex shaft have the exact same launch and spin as a XX tipped all the way. Of course, the shaft that best matches their delivery and speed is the one they will hit most consistently, but they will still find the middle often with a very ill-fit club. The OP would be much better off getting some lessons first to figure out why they are spinning the ball too much on what is perceived centre contact. It very well could be that what feels like middle is actually slightly low and to the heel, which coincidentally, would explain exactly why spin is in excess of 2800 (not bad for someone of their swing speed but stand to be a bit lower), and why they are looking for something draw biased.

              I would suggest finding out what the root cause of the problem is first Lars and the girl and then going from there to a fitting. It very well might be the head/shaft (as Mavrik Maxs are very head heavy, when something is head heavy it tends to promote strikes low on the head, thus upticking spin). However, it equally could be your delivery to the ball and your impact location. Or it could be the shaft. Any are all valid variables but always remember this first: strike point is THE most important aspect of anything relating to a golf shot. If you aren't hitting the middle (and verified by either a launch monitor or some basic foot powder spray), then anything you do in terms trying to find a shaft to improve on this is likely going to be akin to spinning one's tires. A shaft can definitely help you find the middle more often, but for that you definitely need a trained eye and doing that on your own in an indoor range is not the answer.
              Taylormade SIM
              Cobra Speedzone Tour Big 12*
              Ping G425 Fairway 16.5* and 22*
              Callaway Apex Pro 2021 26*
              Cobra RadSpeed OneLength 7-AW
              Vokey SM8 52/55/59
              Bettinardi Prototype

              Comment


              • #8
                Your numbers are fine. At that low swing speed 2800 spin is almost too low.

                Going to lower spin with low ballspeed is a recipe for knuckleballs.

                Your issue is consistency which requires lessons.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DriveItHome View Post

                  Shafts don't spin. Sorry, but this is really, really bad advice. How many people have you fit over the years with evidence to back this up? What controls spin is how you present dynamic loft to the golf ball along with strike point on the head. A good player can make a ladies flex shaft have the exact same launch and spin as a XX tipped all the way. Of course, the shaft that best matches their delivery and speed is the one they will hit most consistently, but they will still find the middle often with a very ill-fit club. The OP would be much better off getting some lessons first to figure out why they are spinning the ball too much on what is perceived centre contact. It very well could be that what feels like middle is actually slightly low and to the heel, which coincidentally, would explain exactly why spin is in excess of 2800 (not bad for someone of their swing speed but stand to be a bit lower), and why they are looking for something draw biased.

                  I would suggest finding out what the root cause of the problem is first Lars and the girl and then going from there to a fitting. It very well might be the head/shaft (as Mavrik Maxs are very head heavy, when something is head heavy it tends to promote strikes low on the head, thus upticking spin). However, it equally could be your delivery to the ball and your impact location. Or it could be the shaft. Any are all valid variables but always remember this first: strike point is THE most important aspect of anything relating to a golf shot. If you aren't hitting the middle (and verified by either a launch monitor or some basic foot powder spray), then anything you do in terms trying to find a shaft to improve on this is likely going to be akin to spinning one's tires. A shaft can definitely help you find the middle more often, but for that you definitely need a trained eye and doing that on your own in an indoor range is not the answer.
                  Fair enough man. Just talking from personal experience helping mid to low handicaps get more distance. Honestly haven't helped that many high handicappers over the years.

                  I played mid spin stiff shafts for a long time, assuming that my swing speed couldn't handle anything more. I switched to tip stiff 2x4s and picked up 40 yards carry as it knocked all the spin off my drives (I launch the ball really high to begin with). It changed my game entirely. I went from hitting spinny powder puffs on a Tuesday, to low spin bombs on a Wednesday. After the transformation, I helped a few other people (who noticed the overnight difference in my drives) and everyone ended up moving into stiffer flexing shafts and saw, mostly, improved results.

                  I get the sense that the OP just wants to go and try a few things at a place like GT. Never hurts to tinker in the winter, as it helps to fill the golf void.

                  Lessons are expensive, tough to book and could result in nothing but an empty wallet. If he can fiddle with some stuff at GT and pick up 20 yards, I’d argue that the money could be well spent.
                  Last edited by TheBananaSlice; Dec 30, 2021, 11:47 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Lars and the girl View Post
                    I know I need more lessons and a fitting would be ideal…
                    You already know what you need to do for proven results. Anyone trying to help based on the info you provided is doing you a disservice. Good intentions, sure, but unqualified.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have very similar SS to OP, and I spoke to some of my numbers from a recent fitting at TXG:

                      https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...my-txg-fitting

                      I ended up with the G425 Max after trying a number of different head/shaft combos, including the G425LS. As this was my first comprehensive fitting on a modern launch monitor (did a much simpler one over 10 years ago), it was fascinating to see the fitter make sense of the numbers. After going through it, I will no longer buy clubs without seeing the results on a LM first. It's not like the other options I tried were obscure brands/models. I tried Sim2, TSI2, Epic Max, etc with shaft options such as Visa Pro, C6, Ventus, etc.

                      Bottom line is, what works for me may not work for you, so remove the doubt and go get fitted. With the current prices of clubs, you can easily go out and spend $500 on a driver that still doesn't work for you. Then you need to get another one. Spend the $100 on a fitting.
                      Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
                      TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                      TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                      Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
                      TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
                      Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
                      Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
                      LAB Mezz, Accra
                      Current hcp ~ 14

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SW20 MR2 View Post
                        Spend the $100 on a fitting.
                        This ^^^^.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks everyone.
                          admittedly, I was hoping my story would result in something quick and obvious jumping out “OMG, you shouldn’t be using a Mavrik Max/reg flex/Gatorade orange/premium gas/etc”
                          but I guess it’s never that easy.
                          hopefully the case numbers settle down and I’ll be able to get some time in over the winter with a fitter and some lessons.

                          someone hinted at why I may be using/looking for a draw biased club….it’s to help manage the dreaded slice, which I used to do quite badly, but seem to be getting some grip on (or the club is )…which in my case, still ballooned up into the stratosphere….so I think there’s definitely something I need to do to bring the height down.
                          Last edited by Lars and the girl; Dec 30, 2021, 04:04 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Truth be told, I’m a little disappointed with the community. Aren’t we here to help enable reckless golf club spending. The kind of spending that has you rushing to the mailbox everyday so you can hide the credit card bill from the wife (or husband). I thought we were here to support one another through the addiction. The OP turned to us in his time of need and all he got was sage advice about lessons. Shame on all of you.

                            The opening poster wasn’t so much looking for prudent wisdom, but a license to go to Golftown armed with “really really bad advice” from the internet in an effort to find that elusive golf Utopia.

                            So little gives hope or happiness at the moment. Didn’t we deny the OP those precious moments when you purchase a new club, exit the store and, standing with it in hand in the parking lot, think “this is finally it. I’ve beat this ****ing game. I’ve got Excalibur and no one can stop me now.” It’s December…he could have floated on those hopes until the season starts in July after we deal with the Epsilon variant.

                            He just wanted a hit…a little taste and we came down on him like an intervention. And he still seems so new to the world of golf club heroin….the crippling lows and self hatred won’t have set in yet. Still in the nothing but bliss phase.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Lololol

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Latest TGN Reviews


                              Collapse

                              PGA Leaderboard


                              Collapse

                              Today's Birthdays


                              Working...
                              X