Collapse

Historic Club Lofts

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historic Club Lofts

This has been discussed a lot in the past, but just saw this table and thought it was interesting. From 60's to 2000's, on average 5 degrees stronger.

Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

I think the manufacturers got involved in distance wars but it was just screwing with lofts and lengths to some degree.

Would be interesting to see how lengths may have changed over that time period.

FYI, the new TM Stealth PW is 43*.
    G410 Plus 10.5*
    G25 4W 16.5*
    G400 7W 20.5*
    G400 3H & 4H 19* & 22*
    G400 5 - UW
    Glide 3.0 54/14 WS, 58/10 SS
    SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)
    Anser TR 1966

Mr. Ping Hooferlite bag

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
      Nice that they at least kept it "traditional". The Cally Rogue ST Max and OS "PW" is 41*... "4 iron" is 18.5*.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
        I think the manufacturers got involved in distance wars but it was just screwing with lofts and lengths to some degree.

Would be interesting to see how lengths may have changed over that time period.

I think their gaming of lofts and shaft lengths is going to eventually bite them in the arse as the boom bust cycle will continue.

The ridiculous and needless expense of " keeping up" got its perverse start when people were leaving the game and manufacturers were trying to hang on .
        They have now perfected the New/Improved scam that makes us into new/improved babes into the woods. LOL
        things change

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

I think their gaming of lofts and shaft lengths is going to eventually bite them in the arse as the boom bust cycle will continue.

The ridiculous and needless expense of " keeping up" got its perverse start when people were leaving the game and manufacturers were trying to hang on .
          They have now perfected the New/Improved scam that makes us into new/improved babes into the woods. LOL
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2EA33114-1B9F-4237-96D5-3BFBA50B5818.png
Views:	207
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	3487869
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

As 4 & 5 irons began to resemble 3 & 4 irons, so began the era of hybrids.

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

I think the next big push and maybe it's started already, will be accuracy. They will start saying things like, "yeah we could make an iron go further but golf is about accuracy". "Our new iron will be the straightest you've ever hit, if you don't like shooting low scores then don't play our new irons".
              G410 Plus 10.5*
              G25 4W 16.5*
              G400 7W 20.5*
              G400 3H & 4H 19* & 22*
              G400 5 - UW
              Anser TR 1966

Mr. Ping Hooferlite bag

Comment

If anyone wants to have some fun, just go to this website: https://www.golfclubspec.com/

It lists the specs of most classic-era clubs. You can see that loft creep is not a new thing and was seen in the Cobra I-Oversize from 1994. It had a 43* PW.
                Taylormade SIM
                Cobra Speedzone Tour Big 12*
                Ping G425 Fairway 16.5* and 22*
                Callaway Apex Pro 2021 26*
                Cobra RadSpeed OneLength 7-AW
                Vokey SM8 52/55/59
                Bettinardi Prototype

Comment

Now take a look at typical lofts from the 1920's and before you dismiss this post, think about just how great these players must have been to shoot in the 60's back then with these clubs and totally non-standard balls. Ted Ray commonly hit his driver 300 yards. I still think it's the archer, not the arrows !

Comment

Originally posted by NiblickJeff View Post
                    Now take a look at typical lofts from the 1920's and before you dismiss this post, think about just how great these players must have been to shoot in the 60's back then with these clubs and totally non-standard balls. Ted Ray commonly hit his driver 300 yards. I still think it's the archer, not the arrows !

What stands out to me on this list is no club lengths over 40".
                    G410 Plus 10.5*
                    G25 4W 16.5*
                    G400 7W 20.5*
                    G400 3H & 4H 19* & 22*
                    G400 5 - UW
                    Anser TR 1966

Mr. Ping Hooferlite bag

Comment

Drivers and Brassies (2 woods) did get up to 42 inches or so and occasionally a club Professional would have to add an extension to the butt end of a club for an extremely tall member (!) but that's the norm! Remember that back then the game was meant to be played pretty much along the ground and the lines you see on the faces of forged irons (post 1915) were more like shallow scored lines as opposed to grooves. Pretty hard to realize backspin with any of those clubs. And I guess, back in the day people might not have generally been as tall as they are today?

Comment

There isn't a more apt term than gap wedge.

Comment

It appears that from the 1980's to now, that clubs are about 2 clubs shorter, meaning a 7 iron today is equal to a 5 iron back then. For guys like me, it helps as I get older and obviously don't swing as fast as I did back then, but it also helps to reminds us how much the equipment helps everyone, pros and amateurs alike hit the ball farther. Just about everyone wants more distance (chicks dig the long ball).
                          I've often wondered what the lofts were for the tour pros' clubs.

Comment

I now need to memorize the old terminology for the clubs so when my buddies ask what I hit I can tell them "Spade Mashie" or " "I went with Push because I didn't think a Mashie would get there"

yaay! More fun coming up this year!

Sorry for semi-hijacking, I too have noticed buddies stronger lofts but it has not helped them except for bragging rights.

Comment

Originally posted by NiblickJeff View Post
                              Drivers and Brassies (2 woods) did get up to 42 inches or so and occasionally a club Professional would have to add an extension to the butt end of a club for an extremely tall member (!) but that's the norm! Remember that back then the game was meant to be played pretty much along the ground and the lines you see on the faces of forged irons (post 1915) were more like shallow scored lines as opposed to grooves. Pretty hard to realize backspin with any of those clubs. And I guess, back in the day people might not have generally been as tall as they are today?
                              average male height in the hickory era was 5'6" or 167cm for you metric nuts.
                              things change

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X