/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS WITH TAYLORMADE SIM2??

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS WITH TAYLORMADE SIM2??

A key reason I would consider Stealth is the front moveable weight giving a distinctive forward centre of gravity, low spin profile. My experience is I tend to hit the sweet spot more often than not (as confirmed by a recent fitting), so forgiveness is not a significant selling point for me - However, low spin/ball flight is...

I've hit my SIM2 very well since I started with it last spring, but similarly to previous testings of TM's more 'forgiving' options of SIM2 Max, SIM, M6, M4, etc. the forgiveness is nice, but spin and higher ball flight tends to rob me of distance. I have to say, my Fairways Hit % has been my best ever w/SIM2 as an aside.

My question is, would reducing weight on the back end of the SIM2, while reducing forgiveness, decrease spin and lower my ball flight??

I purchased an aftermarket 8g weight vs. the 'stock' 16g, and went to my local Golftown to get them to switch it out (You need a L20 torque wrench to loosen the stock weight, and they had one with a proper handle that despite the 'blue lock tight' screw, the stock weight was removed w/ease).

I won't be able to test out until the People's Republic of Ontario comes out of our latest lockdown the week of Jan. 31, but I assume this change should assist and have the desired effect? Anyone else try this??

Thanks,

- Ian
    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
    TM TP5 Golf Ball
    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Sounds like you need a fitting

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
      A key reason I would consider Stealth is the front moveable weight giving a distinctive forward centre of gravity, low spin profile. My experience is I tend to hit the sweet spot more often than not (as confirmed by a recent fitting), so forgiveness is not a significant selling point for me - However, low spin/ball flight is...

I've hit my SIM2 very well since I started with it last spring, but similarly to previous testings of TM's more 'forgiving' options of SIM2 Max, SIM, M6, M4, etc. the forgiveness is nice, but spin and higher ball flight tends to rob me of distance. I have to say, my Fairways Hit % has been my best ever w/SIM2 as an aside.

My question is, would reducing weight on the back end of the SIM2, while reducing forgiveness, decrease spin and lower my ball flight??

I purchased an aftermarket 8g weight vs. the 'stock' 16g, and went to my local Golftown to get them to switch it out (You need a L20 torque wrench to loosen the stock weight, and they had one with a proper handle that despite the 'blue lock tight' screw, the stock weight was removed w/ease).

I won't be able to test out until the People's Republic of Ontario comes out of our latest lockdown the week of Jan. 31, but I assume this change should assist and have the desired effect? Anyone else try this??

Thanks,

- Ian
      Ian, we have some TaylorMade experts on site in Vaughan on Jan 28th, you could always come in and get them to adjust the club for you. $49.99 for the fit, which is about as low cost as you can find and you get to work directly with a TaylorMade fitter so you can work through previous models as well.

Full calendar of Modern Golf Fit Days in Vaughan from PXG, TaylorMade, PING, Titleist, Mizuno, Cobra and all the leading golf brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Geeve1008 View Post
        Sounds like you need a fitting
        Always agree with fittings Geeves, but that said I'm not far off from my optimal numbers based on the below (unless you disagree with this assessment)...

If the weight change gets me 200 RPM's 'relief', I'm at the high end but within the range assuming the correlated launch angle comes with the adjustment of course. This would once again put my at the optimal numbers if I indeed the adjustment works...

Regardless, I guess I'll find out once I get back into the sims in just over a week hopefully.

Appreciate the response!
        Attached Files
        TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
        TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
        TM TP5 Golf Ball
        Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
        SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Originally posted by ModernGolf View Post

Ian, we have some TaylorMade experts on site in Vaughan on Jan 28th, you could always come in and get them to adjust the club for you. $49.99 for the fit, which is about as low cost as you can find and you get to work directly with a TaylorMade fitter so you can work through previous models as well.

https://moderngolf.ca/modern-golf-fit-days-vaughan/
          Thank you!

Just got back from Mexico and my schedule is crazy next week but if I can make it I will. Appreciate it, if not this week I'll PM with some other dates if that works...

They're not going to try to sell me a Stealth are they? I'm very vulnerable and may say yes LOL!!

Thank you again!!

TM TP5 Golf Ball
          Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
          SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

The Sim 2 drivers each have 2 weights. A front and a rear weight. If you want to lower spin you can lower or remove the rear weight and likewise increase the front weight. The weights needed to do this are readily available for cheap on ebay.

I would also mention loft has a huge impact on spin and lowering loft lowers spin. 1 degree is typically 300 rpm

Comment

Originally posted by ctv1 View Post
              The Sim 2 drivers each have 2 weights. A front and a rear weight. If you want to lower spin you can lower or remove the rear weight and likewise increase the front weight. The weights needed to do this are readily available for cheap on ebay.

I would also mention loft has a huge impact on spin and lowering loft lowers spin. 1 degree is typically 300 rpm
              Yes, I'm aware of this (Sorry if my orginal post was too long)...

I purchased the back weight off Amazon (aftermarket), it's 8g vs. the stock 16g. Also, I have my SIM2 at the lowest loft setting as an aside.

We'll see what happens!
              TM TP5 Golf Ball
              Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
              SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Of more significance is the swingweight change. 8g of head weight change is a LOT at the end of 45” +/- driver length.

A lower lofted base head is a better starting point for launch and spin reduction, as is a ball change.

Anyway, experimentation is always fun and a learning experience.
                🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post

Thank you!

Just got back from Mexico and my schedule is crazy next week but if I can make it I will. Appreciate it, if not this week I'll PM with some other dates if that works...

They're not going to try to sell me a Stealth are they? I'm very vulnerable and may say yes LOL!!

Thank you again!!

lol we'll warn them in advance to keep them hidden! Here anytime you need us, looking forward to having you in.

Comment

Originally posted by ModernGolf View Post

lol we'll warn them in advance to keep them hidden! Here anytime you need us, looking forward to having you in.
                    Appreciate it!!
                    TM TP5 Golf Ball
                    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                      Of more significance is the swingweight change. 8g of head weight change is a LOT at the end of 45” +/- driver length.

A lower lofted base head is a better starting point for launch and spin reduction, as is a ball change.

Anyway, experimentation is always fun and a learning experience.
                      Agreed, it may be too much - I won't know for sure for a week or so Andy. I'll be sure to post once I've given it a shot.
                      TM TP5 Golf Ball
                      Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                      SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Originally posted by ctv1 View Post

just to expand on this point, I was under the impression it was the other way around, but the suggestion here is heavier weight at front, and lower at back to reduce spin?

Comment

Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post

just to expand on this point, I was under the impression it was the other way around, but the suggestion here is heavier weight at front, and lower at back to reduce spin?
                          Yes, that's how it works - The more weight is at the back, the more forgiveness. Inversely, the more weight at the front impacts launch and spin reduction.
                          TM TP5 Golf Ball
                          Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                          SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X