Ventus Black Shaft Alternatives

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventus Black Shaft Alternatives

Hi everyone,

I attended a (free) PXG driver fitting and their recommendation was a Gen5 0311 XF 9* with heel weighting in a Ventus Black Velocore 6s 45" (AoA 2-3 up, path 2 in-out, dynamic loft 19*, swing speed 108mph, peak height around 120ft).

This is a drastic shaft difference than when I was fit 2 years ago at TXG (before lessons and taking the game a little more seriously). Diamana TB 60s 45" with Sim Max 2 9* at standard (then swing speed then was 98mph, AoA 3-4 up). Ball height at the PXG fitting was upward of 150ft.

My questions are:

Which shafts/heads should I consider keeping or selling/trading that I have laying around the house:
    • Ventus Red Velocore 6x
    • GD Tour AD DI 6x
    • GD Tour AD IZ 6x; and
    • GD Tour AD IZ 6s
    • Ping 410 Max 9*
    • Stealth HD 9*
    • Stealth Plus 10.5* (possibly trading for standard Stealth 9*)

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I wanted to see if any of the combinations above would be good as a back up/second travel driver.
    Last edited by dblgarcia; Feb 20, 2023, 06:47 PM.

I don't know a lot about the GD shafts but the Ventus Red is their high launching model. With your peak height hitting 120 ft with the Ventus Black, I don't think you need the higher launching version, so you could probably sell that. Tough to say on all the rest of the gear unless you got on a launch monitor and tried them out.
    We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
    Srixon Star XV
    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

If you are happy with the fit/results of the PXG with Ventus Black, why not sell all of your extra gear and get that.
      What's in the bag?
      Ping G400Max 10.5°
      Titleist TS2 16.5°
      Titleist 816H1 21°
      Callaway X-Forged '18 UT 24°
      Callaway X-Forged '18 5-PW
      Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52°,57°,62°
      Odyssey O Works 1W

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. I wanted to see if any of the combinations above would be good as a back up/second travel driver.

Comment

The AD DI and IZ are considerably different profiles than Ventus Black. The Red would obviously be a little closer in profile. It isn’t the typical “red” profile offered by other companies.

Remember that in Canada we have several different golf seasons. What works in the summer when you get to swing 100% in short sleeves (or in an indoor fitting bay) might not work in April when it’s 8 degrees and you’re wearing several layers. Might be worth keeping the Red around when you need a bit more help.

What I love about the black is that whatever you put into it is exactly what you get out. But, that said, it also doesn’t really help you out (with getting the ball up) like some weaker shafts might. The Red might be a nice spring shaft that will allow you to work into the black as you knock the rust off.

Also, did you do a head to head between the Ping/Stealth vs the PXG. I found the Gen 5 just lacked pop when I hit it…like 10 yard less carry than the Stealth. Could be just me…but I still don’t feel like PXG has made a driver that can compete with the big boys on ball speed.

Comment

Maybe use either the Ping 410 Max 9* or Stealth HD 9* head (Stealth HD is anti-right similar to the PXG head set-up).

None of those shafts are similar to Ventus Black. All of those shafts will feel softer than the black. For me the Ventus red felt significantly softer than the black.

Ditto

"If you are happy with the fit/results of the PXG with Ventus Black, why not sell all of your extra gear and get that."
            ​​

Comment

I go for a TXG long game fitting tomorrow. I'll post my fitting results if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by dblgarcia View Post
                I go for a TXG long game fitting tomorrow. I'll post my fitting results if anyone is interested.
                How'd the fitting go ?

Comment

Brett at the Toronto location fit me into Stealth 2 9 degree head at standard setting.

He was happy with the HZDRUS Black (Gen 2) 60 6.0 purchased from Golf Town (something similar to the Ventus Black 6S to use until the fitting).

I managed to trade my Stealth HD for the standard Stealth and will use that for the season while I work on swing changes and need another fitting.

I included a screenshot of my data from the fitting. The upper rows are for the Stealth 2 and the bottoms rows are for the original
                  Stealth.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Suprised youre not in X flsx shafts. You arent high spin. Your pretty low considering your speed and using a stiff.

But your ventus red x may be the closest to the black s.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X