No announcement yet.
Collapse

Changes coming to golf balls for elite tours

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't agree with all this. But if they are finally going to do different rules for players.....

... let's have it open for amateurs to have no limits on equipment let's see what manufacturers can do with no rules on distance for us....😉
    PING CAMO BAG...
    WEAPONS...
    SRIXON ZX5 10.5
    3W TM M2
    HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
    5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
    LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
    3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

• Originally posted by sharkhark View Post
      I don't agree with all this. But if they are finally going to do different rules for players.....

... let's have it open for amateurs to have no limits on equipment let's see what manufacturers can do with no rules on distance for us....😉
      Interesting idea. So few amateur golfers carry a handicap ( < 10%) for competition purposes so why don't the manufacturers start building more clubs , balls that exceed the limits of performance in order to make the game easier and more fun.

Casual golfers cheat( dont follow the rules) all the time, so what's wrong with it

there are some "illegal" balls out there and also a few Hi COR drivers over the years,...but why not push this idea ?
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Interesting idea. So few amateur golfers carry a handicap ( < 10%) for competition purposes so why don't the manufacturers start building more clubs , balls that exceed the limits of performance in order to make the game easier and more fun.

Casual golfers cheat( dont follow the rules) all the time, so what's wrong with it

there are some "illegal" balls out there and also a few Hi COR drivers over the years,...but why not push this idea ?
        So, without Rules, what is a club? Ever hit a golf ball with a baseball bat. hockey stick or a tennis racquet? There needs to be some standards for a game to exist as such.

Comment

• This may seem counterintuitive but I believe that one of the attractions of the game is that it is difficult and challenging. I am against bifurcation because only when I use the same equipment as the pros can I appreciate and admire their skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by rulie View Post

So, without Rules, what is a club? Ever hit a golf ball with a baseball bat. hockey stick or a tennis racquet? There needs to be some standards for a game to exist as such.
            The standard is the ball must be hit with a golf club. Don't get stuck in the weeds over what constitutes a golf club for casual play. Think of it like basketball. Not every single ball in use at the courts will be completely regulation, but we can all agree they look and act like a basketball. No one is using a tennis ball or a racquetball. The majority of pick up games won't be played perfectly by the rules, but they're still playing basketball.
            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
            Srixon Star XV
            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Taylormade survey on bifucation

https://twitter.com/TaylorMadeGolf/s...bifurcation%2F

Comment

• Thinking a little moron this.....

One of the joys of playing golf and watching the pros is we are all playing the same equipment on the same courses and under the same rules.

Sure, the rough may be up and the fairways narrowed and the greens faster for them, but it's the same course.

I like that.

I've run a bunch of marathons, some small and local and some of which have had world class fields and we all ran the exact same route and started at the same time. There's something special about doing that.

I marvel at the pros game because we're playing the same game. Just a little better, or worse - but I can compare my game to theirs because the equipment is the same.
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
                  Thinking a little moron this.....

One of the joys of playing golf and watching the pros is we are all playing the same equipment on the same courses and under the same rules.

Sure, the rough may be up and the fairways narrowed and the greens faster for them, but it's the same course.

I like that.

I've run a bunch of marathons, some small and local and some of which have had world class fields and we all ran the exact same route and started at the same time. There's something special about doing that.

I marvel at the pros game because we're playing the same game. Just a little better, or worse - but I can compare my game to theirs because the equipment is the same.
                  This thinking is exactly why ProV1's are the best selling golf balls in the world. It certainly isn't because they're best suited for everyone's game.

Srixon Star XV
                  Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

This thinking is exactly why ProV1's are the best selling golf balls in the world. It certainly isn't because they're best suited for everyone's game.
                    Well, I'm smart enough not to play pro-v's but I'm up for all the rest of it.

And just to be clear, if I'm against bifurcation and feel the equipment is leading to problems, that's why I endorse the idea of a new shorter ball for all. Longer hitters are still rewarded with longer hits, but they would once again have hazards where the designer intended and have to play shots the architect intended.

If you remove a lot of the old architecture/design elements from play, then.... why bother flying anywhere or paying a small fortune to play a Ross or Tillinghast or Coore/Crenshaw or Dye or McKenzie or Holt or Thompson or...., when Don Valley will do pretty much the same thing?
                    ...Iggy

Comment

Well, I'm smart enough not to play pro-v's but I'm up for all the rest of it.

And just to be clear, if I'm against bifurcation and feel the equipment is leading to problems, that's why I endorse the idea of a new shorter ball for all. Longer hitters are still rewarded with longer hits, but they would once again have hazards where the designer intended and have to play shots the architect intended.

If you remove a lot of the old architecture/design elements from play, then.... why bother flying anywhere or paying a small fortune to play a Ross or Tillinghast or Coore/Crenshaw or Dye or McKenzie or Holt or Thompson or...., when Don Valley will do pretty much the same thing?
                      I'm decidedly split so far. While I appreciate the architecture argument, I also like to watch guys hit ridiculous bombs off the tee. I guess I have 3 years to figure out which side I'm on

Srixon Star XV
                      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• McIlroy says he has "evolved".

Taylomade says "WTF Rory"?

Two years after branding research into golf equipment changes "a waste of money," Rory McIlroy has given enthusiastic support for proposals to limit golf ball distances for top players.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

I'm decidedly split so far. While I appreciate the architecture argument, I also like to watch guys hit ridiculous bombs off the tee. I guess I have 3 years to figure out which side I'm on
                          I enjoy seeing crazy bombs as well. Even if it's BDC and he's driving the green on a par 5 .

I can also live without it, or go to a long drive event for that.

It's probably been 20 years since I first saw a 400 yd drive (Els at Kapalua?) which was cool enough if that's more or less what we went back to.

Fun factoids: Casey Martin (of all players!) was the first to record a 400+ drive (on PGAT) in 2001. The longest drive is 787 (cart path assisted) by Carl Cooper in 1992. Another big one is by Mike Austin, 64 years old at the time, who hit a 515-yard drive on Sept. 25, 1974 in the National Seniors Open Championship in Vegas.

...Iggy

Comment

I enjoy seeing crazy bombs as well. Even if it's BDC and he's driving the green on a par 5 .

I can also live without it, or go to a long drive event for that.

It's probably been 20 years since I first saw a 400 yd drive (Els at Kapalua?) which was cool enough if that's more or less what we went back to.

Fun factoids: Casey Martin (of all players!) was the first to record a 400+ drive (on PGAT) in 2001. The longest drive is 787 (cart path assisted) by Carl Cooper in 1992. Another big one is by Mike Austin, 64 years old at the time, who hit a 515-yard drive on Sept. 25, 1974 in the National Seniors Open Championship in Vegas.
                            The way the commentators gush about the driving distance, there must be a sizeable audience wanting to see it. I can't watch long drive when 75% of the shots don't even count. At least with PGA, missing the fairway should penalize them in some way (in theory at least).

Srixon Star XV
                            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Golf Digest is reporting that the anticipated golf ball rollback will apply to ALL golfers. How will they determine that a golf ball exceeds their distance limit of 317 yards? That's easy. They'll hit the ball with a clubhead speed of 125 mph, 5 mph faster than their prior benchmark of 120. What'll this mean in loss of distance? According to GD, assuming a 5% loss of distance, that'll cost a pro who hits it 300 yards, 15 yards. The amateurs are the ones who'll get screwed here. For one thing, they'd be ecstatic to get their clubhead speed even marginally over 100 mph, so they're not threatening courses with their short drives. Worse, if they're hitting it 220 now, in a short while they'll be 11 yards shorter at 209. You would think that after consulting and studying this issue to death in the last few years, it would have occurred to the USGA and the R&A that screwing the amateur golfer isn't the way to do it.

USGA, R&A to announce universal golf ball rollback next week | Golf News and Tour Information | GolfDigest.com​
                              This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpare View Post
                                Golf Digest is reporting that the anticipated golf ball rollback will apply to ALL golfers. How will they determine that a golf ball exceeds their distance limit of 317 yards? That's easy. They'll hit the ball with a clubhead speed of 125 mph, 5 mph faster than their prior benchmark of 120. What'll this mean in loss of distance? According to GD, assuming a 5% loss of distance, that'll cost a pro who hits it 300 yards, 15 yards. The amateurs are the ones who'll get screwed here. For one thing, they'd be ecstatic to get their clubhead speed even marginally over 100 mph, so they're not threatening courses with their short drives. Worse, if they're hitting it 220 now, in a short while they'll be 11 yards shorter at 209. You would think that after consulting and studying this issue to death in the last few years, it would have occurred to the USGA and the R&A that screwing the amateur golfer isn't the way to do it.

USGA, R&A to announce universal golf ball rollback next week | Golf News and Tour Information | GolfDigest.com​
                                I would expect/hope that this plays out like it has with previous equipment changes. For example, they banned square grooves but clubs with those are still used by ams.. same for anchored putters etc.

I can't see recreational golfers worrying about this rule change and expect the majority to continue to use what they do now, except the ball would be nonconforming. I still use a square grooved wedge which is non conforming for years now. I wont be switching to a reduced flight ball when this rule takes effect when I'm 70

Ball Change to be implemented for pros in 2028 and ams in 2030.

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X