My Campbell's

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Campbell's

Originally posted by campbell hunter View Post
    I just purchased a set of the tru-matics. To be honest, I can barely tell the difference between them and the Campbell. There are several different versions, but there is one that looks exactly like the campbells. They weigh a ton AND ARE TOTALLY UNFORGIVING ON A MISSED SWEET SPOT.

In the late '60 era Arnold Palmer had his own line of Irons and woods -First Flight, in which the single or double cut Tru-matic was an excellent small compact blade. The clubs back then were pro-line meaning you could purchase them only thru your pro-shop
    To increase the market share for his club company, which in spite his fame and reputation did not do well, he opened his line of clubs to major merchandisers like Sears.He was accused of selling out.

The Tru-matics were an excellent performing blade, so were the Peerless Persimmon line of woods. Unfortunately for him, MacGregor was King of the Hill then.
    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

The RCGA or GolfCanada used to own and have many Campbell of Canada catalogues as well as Golf Club manufacturers catalogues of other Canadian golf clubs...ProMades and Royal Scots from Vancouver, British Columbia are just 2 examples. I have a couple of sets of Campbell of Canada woods. One set with Shakespear FibreGlass shafts and laminated Maple club heads(early 60's) and the other persimmon wood club heads with True Temper chromed steel shafts(late 50's). I even have a Moe Norman "General Line" set of woods and irons. MacGregor(USA) manufactured woods and irons here in Canada. I'm not positive about this but I believe there was a manufacturing plant and offices in Kitchener/Waterloo. I have a pair of what appears to be MacGregor ,"General Line" Men's R/H persimmon woods from the late 30's with,"ADANAC" stamped in the toe on the sole of the clubs. The RCGA has allowed members to view requested material if they have it,"in the past". The GolfCanada group has not been so honest or co-operative. Just because you pay for a membership to GolfCanada doesn't mean a thing. I was told the if I had a membership I would be granted access privileges to golf catalogues and other related documents not deemed rare. They got my money but did not come through with my request. Maybe you will have better luck than I did - Max
      " One Day At A Time"

Comment

They seem good enough....to stir some soup :-)

Comment

it's not the soup spoon, but the Chef.
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by VintageGuy56 View Post
            I see that this thread is several years old but maybe someone within the TGN community can provide some assistance with a missing club. I have a Campbell set that is missing the 5 iron. it is the Campbell Arnold Palmer Personal set. If any one sees a 5 iron in a bin somewhere - or has one kicking around kindly let me know. I can provide a pic if someone needs to see what the head looks like. In advance - Thanks for any assistance that may be provided.
            Why not just post the photo here? Just go to "Manage Attachments" and put it up.
            My local "Play it again Sports" store has a ton of used single clubs and I'll be in there sometime this week.
            Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

I'm looking for a Campbell 5 iron. The model is Arnold Palmer Personal The shaft sticker is Arnold Palmer Personal by True Temper. If any of the Campbell golf club guys has one let me know.
              Swing Smooth and Hit Hard...!

Comment

‘Lo everyone. I found this thread some time ago while looking for pics and thought I’d show my own. I have 2 sets of Campbells. A used 7-piece “Moe Norman” I bought in ~1982 from a seller. The second set is my working set I bought in 1987, Campbell ‘Signature’ 11 piece set from Can-Tire. I’ve not seen these anywhere else but I like em and keep using them. Tiny headed metal driver but it goes. I keep it in the bag for low shots, it’s hittable off the deck.

Original set:Full Original 11 Piece Set

7 iron:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	47601223621_5e56ea8719_z_d.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2951851

‘Sure-tac’ Grip and True-Temper shaft.
                Original Lamkin ‘Sure Tac’ grip, True-Temper Techno-Flex tour-light shaft.

New and old.
                A tale of two drivers. Current TM Aeroburner driver, Campbell #1 metal wood.

I’ll get some of the Moe Normans at some point. Cleaning the clubs today in the sunshine. Cheer’s everyone!

Comment

I bought a set of Campbells (3-Px) from Canadian Tire --- probably going into the summer of 1984 if memory serves me correctly.

Iirc, the irons looked just like those in the pic above --- in hindsight copies of Ping irons. Lol. I could hit a slight, consistent draw with them.

My set didn't come with metal woods though, just standard persimmon driver, 3 and 5 woods.

Comment

When I started to play (1959), Campbell was a very well respected name in golf clubs. Our club pro was a Campbell representative. They made very high quality irons and may have been the first to have different weight distribution in irons - nearer the toe in long irons and nearer the hosel in short irons. I also had a set of Campbell woods (1, 3, 4) that had some of the first aluminum shafts (1968 or 1969). As with several known companies at the time, they "migrated" to store-bought clubs (Sears, CT). But at one point, they were top notch (Wilson trade name) clubs.
                    I also recall their Polydine golf balls - two or three compressions of same.

Comment

I realize that this thread was started years ago, but I thought I would contribute to it. Today, I bought a brand new, 7 piece set of Ladies Left Handed Campbell's "The Teacher + One".
                      It was purchased at Collegiate Sports on Warden Avenue for the princely sum of $59.98 (price tag still on the shipping box). These clubs have never been used! Hard to believe that such a set have no value.
                      Discuss the latest and greatest in golf equipment and technology.

Comment

MY FATHER BOUGHT ME A SET OF HIGHER END CAMPBELL IRONS IN 1974 AT A PRIVATE CLUB NORTH OF TORONTO...THEY WERE CAMPBELL , DYNAMAX AND WERE AN AMAZING SET OF CLUBS WITH STIFF STEEL SHAFTS...THE PROBLEM I HAD WITH THEM WAS I HIT THE PW APPROX. 150 YARDS EVERY TIME AND HAD A VERY HARD TIME JUDGING DISTANCES FOR ALL THE IRONS...AT THAT TIME I WAS AROUND 15 YRS. OLD AND WAS APPROX. A 2 HANDICAP...NEVER SINCE AS I DO NOT PRACTICE EVERY DAY...ULTIMATELY I WENT TO A PRO SHOP AND WHEN I RE GRIPPED THEM I HAD THEM ALL CUT DOWN AROUND .75"...ULTIMATELY THIS RUINED THE CLUBS AND I TRADED THEM IN ON SOME OLDER COBRA IRONS...EVER SINCE I HAVE PATIENTLY LOOKED FOR ANOTHER SET OF CAMPBELL IRONS OF HIGHER QUALITY...NEVER YET TO BE FOUND...THIS IS ALL I KNOW OF CAMPBELL...BUT IF I MAY YOUR SET LOOKS HIGHER END OVER ALL I'VE SEEN...THERE IS NO WAY THE "S" ON THE HEAD IS FOR STIFF...THAT IS ALWAYS FOUND ON THE SHAFT AS THEY ARE SEPERATE COMPONENTS AND ALMOST ALWAYS DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS...I WOUULD SUGGEST IT PROBABLY STANDS FOR SPECIAL ORDER AS THEY MADE SOME GREAT CUSTOM HIGHER END CLUBS.....KEEP THEM OR I'LL BUY THEM FROM YOU TO FILL MY VOID...GOLF ON...KHD.

Comment

My first set of irons were Campbell Pin-Hi's. They came with a wooden Driver and 3 wood.
                          And a wood shafted putter with a 'wrapped' leather grip.

These were given to me by a neighbour when they got a new set.

I wish that I had kept that putter. It had a name and a number etched into it that I unfortunately cannot remember.

Comment

Just purchased a bag of clubs and in the bag was a handful of late 40's? Men's R/H Campbell of Canada irons AND a persimmon wood driver . The iron heads are chromed but using the older method of chroming...same as the steel shafts. Lots of flaking. The previous owners, " had also" painted the shafts and heads a silver grey. What I liked about these irons was the paint filled stamping on the toe of the irons....when new or restored. The thistle head is purple with red spikes with green leaves around the thistle. It looks sharp. The irons are also stamped," Off-Set" with the model # 742 stamped in each club head. The face has face lines but not a traditional lines. Very wide and only 8 of them. Haven't even touched the driver. Hope everyone at Toronto Golf Forum is healthy and staying safe. If anyone chat's with Northern Pro or Dekker , please say hello
                            from ," Max " .
                            https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1099663974
                            " One Day At A Time"

Comment

^^^ love these posts of your rebuilding / refinishing efforts !
                              🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
                              Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
                              Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
                              Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
                              Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
                              Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
                              Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...