Collapse

Hooking

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking

And I don't mean lady of the night type. I am a naturally gifted slicer and have recently modified my grip to be more strong. With this new set up I get around 30%-40% of my shots that just veer so left it looks like I'm watching my slice in the mirror. The other 60-70% and I'm being these beautiful little fade shots that start off on the target line and ever so slightly come aroundjust to the right of the target. I can pull these shots off with my 6-9 irons and my pw and sw are these picturesque high shots that land damn near close the the intended target.

Now the downsides. I am a constant hooker with my 3 wood, which used to be straight down the line. Can't hit anything above a 6 iron with solid contact when before I would manage to be able to get them going decent. And finally my driver is now a hooking machine. 80-90% of my shots just fly left no matter what. I can really choke down in my driver and 3 wood to get them to fly somewhat straight but I go from 260/275 yard drives down to 225 yards. My old set up was the reverse problem broods would fly straight and far but irons wouldn't get off the ground. And wedges were a nightmare.

I've read that you shouldn't have two different grips for woods and irons but right now that seems to be the route I'm gonna have to take to correct this

Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Every thing else from my swing hasn't changed. Just the grip from neutral to strong. Maybe there needs to be another adjustment with the string grip but I'm at a loss

Re: Hooking

Originally posted by razkaz248 View Post
    And I don't mean lady of the night type. I am a naturally gifted slicer and have recently modified my grip to be more strong. With this new set up I get around 30%-40% of my shots that just veer so left it looks like I'm watching my slice in the mirror. The other 60-70% and I'm being these beautiful little fade shots that start off on the target line and ever so slightly come aroundjust to the right of the target. I can pull these shots off with my 6-9 irons and my pw and sw are these picturesque high shots that land damn near close the the intended target.

Now the downsides. I am a constant hooker with my 3 wood, which used to be straight down the line. Can't hit anything above a 6 iron with solid contact when before I would manage to be able to get them going decent. And finally my driver is now a hooking machine. 80-90% of my shots just fly left no matter what. I can really choke down in my driver and 3 wood to get them to fly somewhat straight but I go from 260/275 yard drives down to 225 yards. My old set up was the reverse problem broods would fly straight and far but irons wouldn't get off the ground. And wedges were a nightmare.

I've read that you shouldn't have two different grips for woods and irons but right now that seems to be the route I'm gonna have to take to correct this

Would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Every thing else from my swing hasn't changed. Just the grip from neutral to strong. Maybe there needs to be another adjustment with the string grip but I'm at a loss
    if you were hitting fades before.. and switched to a stronger grip, and now hit hooks. Maybe you were hitting fades before due to a weak grip. So try to find something more neutral.

Also check your grip size. Im around a scratch handicap, so no way am i bad player, but i stuggled all last year with snap hooks as my miss.. I went from standard size grip up to midsize, and it has natural moved my grip to a more neutral position, and i hit a much straighter ball
    WITB :

Driver - Nike Covert
    3 Wood - Cobra amp cell 14*
    Hybrid - Nike cover 18*
    Irons - Taylormade tour preferred 4-GW
    Wedges - Cleveland 54/60 CG15-?
    Putter - Cleveland VP5

Comment

Sorry if I was confusing but before the switch over to a stronger grip I was hitting slices at just about every shot. Basically the neutral grip wasn't working for me. With the strong grip I'm hitting fades a majority of the time but the misses are hooking bad. That's with my irons though. My woods used to fly somewhat straight an further than I can hit now, by at least 30-50 yards. Basically with my woods I'm hitting hooks consistently and I have to really back off and sacrifice q good amount of yardage to get it a little straight. My mid to short irons ate a drastic improvement but still miss to the left. Long irons are still an issue just as in the past.

To recap. Neutral grip: slicing pretty well all my iron shots but woods would be somewhat straight with decent distance

Strong grip: mid to short irons fly straight to a little fade a majority of the time but miss hits fly left. Woods will always fly huge hooks no matter what and have to sacrifice a significant amount of distance to get it to go a little straight.

So that's my dilemma. With my neutral grip I would be hitting well off te tee but every subsequent shot to the hole would be a disaster. With the strong grip I can't get a good shot off the tee but my approach shots have improved drastically. Either case is getting me the high score of the bunch so can't say one grip is an improvement over the other lol

Comment

Sorry if I was confusing but before the switch over to a stronger grip I was hitting slices at just about every shot. Basically the neutral grip wasn't working for me. With the strong grip I'm hitting fades a majority of the time but the misses are hooking bad. That's with my irons though. My woods used to fly somewhat straight an further than I can hit now, by at least 30-50 yards. Basically with my woods I'm hitting hooks consistently and I have to really back off and sacrifice q good amount of yardage to get it a little straight. My mid to short irons ate a drastic improvement but still miss to the left. Long irons are still an issue just as in the past.

To recap. Neutral grip: slicing pretty well all my iron shots but woods would be somewhat straight with decent distance

Strong grip: mid to short irons fly straight to a little fade a majority of the time but miss hits fly left. Woods will always fly huge hooks no matter what and have to sacrifice a significant amount of distance to get it to go a little straight.

So that's my dilemma. With my neutral grip I would be hitting well off te tee but every subsequent shot to the hole would be a disaster. With the strong grip I can't get a good shot off the tee but my approach shots have improved drastically. Either case is getting me the high score of the bunch so can't say one grip is an improvement over the other lol
        what i was trying to point out. Was maybe what you thought was a neutral grip, was actually a weak grip? try just making the strong grip you have now, maybe just a bit weaker. It Can be a strenuous and crappy process to go through, but your grip is one of the most important things. Once you find the correct grip, to correlate with your swing. Dont change it
        WITB :

Driver - Nike Covert
        3 Wood - Cobra amp cell 14*
        Hybrid - Nike cover 18*
        Irons - Taylormade tour preferred 4-GW
        Wedges - Cleveland 54/60 CG15-?
        Putter - Cleveland VP5

Comment

Without seeing your swing, there's a lot that causes swing. I know for myself whenever I hit the ball square and rotate my shoulders right away, that's a hook. I'm sure the regular pros here can chime in.
          Cobra King F7
          Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
          Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
          Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
          Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
          Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

Does your hook start right and then go left or does it start left and continue going left?
            What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.
            - Arnold Palmer

Comment

I find with the woods it starts slightly left of target and swings left and with miss hits with irons it starts left and continues left (almost like its a straight flight left)

Comment

It sounds like a pull. I would work on swing path rather than tinkering with your grip to be honest. The best thing is to get your swing looked at by a pro.

I find with the woods it starts slightly left of target and swings left and with miss hits with irons it starts left and continues left (almost like its a straight flight left)

Comment

You'll have to work on path and face. Best to do this under the guidance of a good pro.
                  What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.
                  - Arnold Palmer

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I have noticed that sometimes with my divots it looks like instead of the divot starting on front of the ball in a straight line it almost looks like it starts in front and te divot itself goes left too. Would this be caused by an outside-in swing path? If so what drills can I practice to try and correct it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I have noticed that sometimes with my divots it looks like instead of the divot starting on front of the ball in a straight line it almost looks like it starts in front and te divot itself goes left too. Would this be caused by an outside-in swing path? If so what drills can I practice to try and correct it.
                      If you keep your face as is (I am assuming it is closed) and develop an inside out swing path, you will see the most beautiful curved hooked shots.

You need to work on both path and face.
                      - Arnold Palmer

Comment

yup - Pro look time. Find someone who is smarter than you to look at your swing. I'm a little distressed that you would drop your "natural" fade and strengthen your grip. All things being equal I feel your grip is why your pulling and hooking. Just an opinion. I've got a terrible hook but hit my irons straight.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X