Collapse

"Modern Swing" Laid off

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Modern Swing" Laid off

Watching golf this weekend it seems to me that a great many of the players are really laying the club off-- way more than you used to see. Not just talking about when they are playing a fade either, or shoddy camera angles. It's definitely a trend.

It was working for DeLaet and Garcia this week, but im not so sure it looks as appealing to me as the swings of Stenson or Rose, both of whom have the shaft pretty well down the line everytime. And I always thought that laying it off causes way too many problems.

Just curious, why are teachers of the "modern" swing advocating laying the club off in the backswing?

Re: "Modern Swing" Laid off

what do you mean by laid off?

is it a position or a move?

Comment

The term laid off refers to the shaft pointing left of the target at the top of the backswing. The other two positions are square and across the line.

Seems like the tendency on tour is to have the shaft pointing left of the target. DELaet, Garcia are amongst many that have this move. Woods seems to as well, although i know Hank Haney would tell you that Hogan laid the club off and that's who Tiger is trying to emulate (personally, i have seen no evidence in any video that Hogan laid the club off.)

I'm thinking that it must be part of a modern approach.

Comment

You can obviously see this for the guys using the one plane swing but I do agree that it’s more prevalent with many more swings now.

Comment

Originally posted by low fade View Post
          The term laid off refers to the shaft pointing left of the target at the top of the backswing. The other two positions are square and across the line.

Seems like the tendency on tour is to have the shaft pointing left of the target. DELaet, Garcia are amongst many that have this move. Woods seems to as well, although i know Hank Haney would tell you that Hogan laid the club off and that's who Tiger is trying to emulate (personally, i have seen no evidence in any video that Hogan laid the club off.)

I'm thinking that it must be part of a modern approach.
          Tiger is not trying to emulate Hogan. the shaft pointing left of the target is more of a visual because the arm hasn't traveled so far as to be able to point this at the target. from face on, this look shows the shaft no where near parallel, which was coined by Leadbetter who said "because it looked good". this look is a result of golfers getting better information on how the body moves to create energy. most players in 3 piece suits had this look too.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStarchuk View Post
            Tiger is not trying to emulate Hogan. the shaft pointing left of the target is more of a visual because the arm hasn't traveled so far as to be able to point this at the target. from face on, this look shows the shaft no where near parallel, which was coined by Leadbetter who said "because it looked good". this look is a result of golfers getting better information on how the body moves to create energy. most players in 3 piece suits had this look too.
            Respectfully disagree, although I thank you for your opinion on the matter .

Graham DeLaet, Sergio, Chad Campbell et al. all lay the club off regardless of whether they reach parallel or not. Contrast that with Stricker or Gary Woodland, both of whom, like DeLaet, do not turn their arms all the way back and reach parallel, yet they do not lay the club off. Tiger used to have slight over the top move-- ever since he was 16 years old in fact, as my vintage Golf digest swing sequence depicts. But whether his swing is longer or shorter or one plane or two, he has never had the shaft pointing as far left as he does now, and he's never had as much of an over the top move as he does now.

Comment

Graham DeLaet, Sergio, Chad Campbell et al. all lay the club off regardless of whether they reach parallel or not. Contrast that with Stricker or Gary Woodland, both of whom, like DeLaet, do not turn their arms all the way back and reach parallel, yet they do not lay the club off. Tiger used to have slight over the top move-- ever since he was 16 years old in fact, as my vintage Golf digest swing sequence depicts. But whether his swing is longer or shorter or one plane or two, he has never had the shaft pointing as far left as he does now, and he's never had as much of an over the top move as he does now.
              Compensating for the downward attack angle and swinging more left. Thanks to trackman.
              TM M1 - Graphite DesignTour AD DI 7x- Tipped 1" - 44.5"
              TM M1 15*- Graphite DesignTour AD DI 8x- Tipped 1" - 43"
              Adams Super Proto 20 - Graphite DesignTour AD DI 105x-
              Miura MB001 - 4-PW - DG TI Onyx X100
              Yurruri Raw Gekku 52,56,60 - DG TI Onyx S400
              Bobby Grace Shiloh SS - TF - Accra Fx P200 - 35"
              Titleist PROV1X

EAGLE RIDGE G.C

Comment

all those players "lay the club off" in transition, making this a MOVEMENT and not a position. this MOVEMENT is called loading, and lagging the hands from the left shoulder. you will find that most players do this to some extent. The LOOK of laid off has everything to do with the length of backswing... or the distance the hands travel.

maybe I just don't understand what you mean.

Can you post those pictures of Tiger being over the top from Golf Digest?

Comment

This has always been my understanding as well.

The hands and arms don't have as much to do with power and distance as we may have thought years ago?
                  What's in my bag?

Driver: Titleist 910- ProforceV2
                  Irons: Titleist CB
                  Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled - 50, 54, 58
                  Putter: Scotty

~ 90% of putts left short of the hole won't go in ~

Comment

all those players "lay the club off" in transition, making this a MOVEMENT and not a position. this MOVEMENT is called loading, and lagging the hands from the left shoulder. you will find that most players do this to some extent. The LOOK of laid off has everything to do with the length of backswing... or the distance the hands travel.

maybe I just don't understand what you mean.

Can you post those pictures of Tiger being over the top from Golf Digest?
                    I will dig up the magazine and post. One of the best issues ever, circa 1993, featuring just swing sequences of jones, Snead, hogan, nicklaus, moe norman, Mac o'grady(both left and right), Watson, Trevino, Els, cant remember who else, and of course a young Tiger Woods.

Comment

Originally posted by On_Plane View Post
                      This has always been my understanding as well.

The hands and arms don't have as much to do with power and distance as we may have thought years ago?
                      IMO, the biggest advancement in golf outside of technology is the Terminology. I think the language is getting more precise and consistent so there is a stronger communication between the lesson and the golfer. I was always told that the arms and hands were the speed of the swing, and its true, but the power which provides the speed to the arms and hands is the body and pivot... maybe the "big muscles" idea but now we can measure with technology and use better words to get that pivot going.

I will dig up the magazine and post. One of the best issues ever, circa 1993, featuring just swing sequences of jones, Snead, hogan, nicklaus, moe norman, Mac o'grady(both left and right), Watson, Trevino, Els, cant remember who else, and of course a young Tiger Woods.
                      Thanks!

Here's some early TW.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X