Collapse

Takeaway? 1 or 2 piece?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takeaway? 1 or 2 piece?

So latley I have been practicing a one piece takeaway keeping my right arm straight as possible and hinging the wrists near the top. I seem to keep the club square more often this way. I was taught to hing the wrists early but just could not get used to it. I also have been working very hard on the Grip and proper setup and stance. Oh yeah I am a lefty.

What do you do and why?
    Taylor Made R7 Superquad 10.5*
    Taylor Made Rescue Dual 19* & 22*
    Taylor Made Burner Fairway 5 metal 18*
    Mizuno MX 25 5-PW
    Srixon Forged Gunmetal WG-504 52*
    Srixon Forged Gunmetal WG-504 56*
    Callaway X Tour Vintage MD 60*
    Yes! C-Groove Sofia 34"
    TM Penta 3

HC-14.4 - 2012 Goal 10.0

Re: Takeaway? 1 or 2 piece?

i've been taught to hinge as early as possible, because this tends to keep the wrists cocked as long as possible, instead of casting o nthe way down
    MEMBER OF THE 2008/2011/2014/2016TGN/OGF RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

The first two feet or so are deliberately one piece but after that all hell breaks loose and my instincts take over.

I tend to think that anything too-forced is not good for you, but it's a matter of degree and varies from person to person.

Comment

Personally, I like to get the club hinged early so the club itself is in a light position on the upswing. If the club is heavy it will pull your arms off path. Also, as to what Albatross said, if the hinge happens early, it will stay that way longer, where a late wrist hinge will want to release early.
        I know that when you see professionals swing the club in slow motion it looks as though they hinge it a little later but in order for the club to stay out in front of you and stay on the right path it should be hinged earlier than later. At the midway point, where the club is parallel to the ground, your hands should not outside your back leg - good reference point. If 1 piece, old school takeaway is done too much, you get the club behind you and will come over the top like a reverse Furyk swing.
        Birdie Bar
        "Golf's highest performing energy bar"

Comment

Originally posted by NICK S
          At the midway point, where the club is parallel to the ground, your hands should not outside your back leg - good reference point.
          Can you explain the point above? From which angle are you looking when you say "outside"?

Thanks,

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by BdaGolfer
            Can you explain the point above? From which angle are you looking when you say "outside"?

Thanks,

Alan
            "outside" refers to someone looking at you face on. If they see that your hands have moved outside your rear leg, then they are extended too far down the target line and therefore not enough angle in the wrists. From the player's perspective, the hands should be somewhere above the rear foot.
            Birdie Bar

Comment

"outside" refers to someone looking at you face on. If they see that your hands have moved outside your rear leg, then they are extended too far down the target line and therefore not enough angle in the wrists. From the player's perspective, the hands should be somewhere above the rear foot.
              Nick,
              You're talking about when the wrist hinges correct?

Does the same apply when you have Driver or fairway woods in your hand. I have a hard time convincing myself that the driver swing and iron swing are the same........they don't feel the same...at least for my swing.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Ryan
              WITB
              Driver:
              SMT 455 DB/Prolaunch Red
              Fairway wood
              Wishon 919 THI 3w/ GD pershing
              Hybrids:
              Wishon 331 hybrid 18/GI 335 tour
              Wishon 331 hybrid 21/GI 335 tour
              Irons:
              Bridgestone J33 4-PW CB/Accra toursteel
              Wedges:
              Wishon PCF micro tour 52,56,60
              Putter:
              Never compromise SC4

Comment

I think they are the same. The only difference - in my opinion - is that with the woods you are trying to hit it harder because its the club that goes the furthest and secondly, you are trying to pick the ball off the tee versus hitting down on it and taking a divot with the iron. As for the mechanics of the swing, it is the same regardless of the club. The ball position promotes the downward angle and therefore hitting down on irons.
                Birdie Bar

Comment

Thanks Nick.

I think they are the same. The only difference - in my opinion - is that with the woods you are trying to hit it harder because its the club that goes the furthest and secondly, you are trying to pick the ball off the tee versus hitting down on it and taking a divot with the iron. As for the mechanics of the swing, it is the same regardless of the club. The ball position promotes the downward angle and therefore hitting down on irons.
                  WITB
                  Driver:
                  SMT 455 DB/Prolaunch Red
                  Fairway wood
                  Hybrids:
                  Irons:
                  Wedges:
                  Wishon PCF micro tour 52,56,60
                  Putter:
                  Never compromise SC4

Comment

Same funadmentals just a wider arc with the driver. Back to the topic. My wrists start to hinge about half way up. Thats the most comfortable for myself. I have a tendency to not keep it inside enough at times so I am working on the shoulder and hip turn now. Man something that seems so easy is so hard at times
                    Last edited by milner_7; Feb 25, 2007, 08:21 PM.
                    Taylor Made R7 Superquad 10.5*
                    Taylor Made Rescue Dual 19* & 22*
                    Taylor Made Burner Fairway 5 metal 18*
                    Mizuno MX 25 5-PW
                    Srixon Forged Gunmetal WG-504 52*
                    Srixon Forged Gunmetal WG-504 56*
                    Callaway X Tour Vintage MD 60*
                    Yes! C-Groove Sofia 34"
                    TM Penta 3

HC-14.4 - 2012 Goal 10.0

Comment

Originally posted by Albatross
                      i've been taught to hinge as early as possible, because this tends to keep the wrists cocked as long as possible, instead of casting o nthe way down
                      The most positive benefit of an early set is that it gets you in your ideal top of the backswing position, (left wrist FLAT) before you get to the top and when the swing is being done more slowly.

IMO, one of the worst things golfers do is to exaggerate the "one piece takeaway" and hinge thier wrists at the top. They think this gives them a wide/big arc, which they believe is important. This accomplishes nothing but encourages a rebound affect, usually resulting in a over the top move.

The only arc that needs to be big is the downswing arc. This is the part of the swing where we actually hit the ball.

Comment

I think Nick did a great job explaining this. I think much is made of the take-a-way. When it comes right down to it, the purpose of the upswing is to achieve a good top-of-swing position.

Basically, its more important how and when you complete your wrist hinge, not when you start it. It just so happens to be that to complete it in time, you have to start it early in the stages of the swing. Almost all great players have a complete wrist hinge by the time the lead arm is parallel to the ground, sometimes referred to as the 'nine-o-clock' position.

Sean Casey
                        Last edited by abbeypro; Mar 16, 2007, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure how valid that comment is about having your hands not outside your rear leg when the club is parallel to the ground, or in toe up position. This is not the case with my swing - and just to solidify that - check out this swing vision video of Tiger's swing - his hands are a good foot outside of this rear leg at parallel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPJtK-DxnV4

Comment

Originally posted by Snipes5150
                            I'm not sure how valid that comment is about having your hands not outside your rear leg when the club is parallel to the ground, or in toe up position. This is not the case with my swing - and just to solidify that - check out this swing vision video of Tiger's swing - his hands are a good foot outside of this rear leg at parallel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPJtK-DxnV4
                            When you have the intent of hitting the golf ball, the hinge will delay compared to when you practice it. My advice on that "not outside" position is to ensure that when you practice it, it will get there sooner rather than later. I advise my students to practice by exagerating the move in the opposite direction, so to ensure that the club gets light, and thus an early hinge, you have to feel - DURING PRACTICE - that the wrists hinge immediately. If you try to get to this position that Tiger gets into by 'feeling' that the club and your lead arm are almost parallel, then your 'one piece takeway' has just gone inside, behind you, and most likely will result in an over the top move. Those players that I have seen practice this move and get it right also have that "look" in action that the hands are past the rear leg.
                            Birdie Bar

Comment

When you have the intent of hitting the golf ball, the hinge will delay compared to when you practice it. My advice on that "not outside" position is to ensure that when you practice it, it will get there sooner rather than later. I advise my students to practice by exagerating the move in the opposite direction, so to ensure that the club gets light, and thus an early hinge, you have to feel - DURING PRACTICE - that the wrists hinge immediately. If you try to get to this position that Tiger gets into by 'feeling' that the club and your lead arm are almost parallel, then your 'one piece takeway' has just gone inside, behind you, and most likely will result in an over the top move. Those players that I have seen practice this move and get it right also have that "look" in action that the hands are past the rear leg.
                              I agree here Nick, I practice the hinge right away move but when I watch my swing on video I move lateraly fist and then hinge.....It's improving though,thanks to you.

Ryan
                              WITB
                              Driver:
                              SMT 455 DB/Prolaunch Red
                              Fairway wood
                              Hybrids:
                              Irons:
                              Wedges: