/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

new driver.....and now i hook...whats going on?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new driver.....and now i hook...whats going on?

So here it is...my old driver had a 8* loft with a stiff shaft and i was a beginner (only started playing last summer)...i tended to slice the ball alot and had a hard time getting it up(because of the loft) so i decided to buy a new driver for this season.

The driver I bought was a callaway big berth 2 with a 10* loft with a regular shaft and today at the range was my first time using it.( i didn't have a choice with the shaft b/c i bought it used off ebay) The thing is i now tend to hook it right...and sometimes straight right.

My question is do u guys think it is the flex of my shaft that is affecting the ball direction.
    ---p.s i dont believe it is my swing machanics b/c i have been told i have a pretty decent swing and tend to shoot 90 or just above.

hope someone can help me out

thanks
    boagz

Re: new driver.....and now i hook...whats going on?

What range were you at? I'm assuming you're left handed. The mat may not have been level. If the ball was above your feet, you would probably hook it, even with the proper shaft. Maybe there was a left to right wind. Were you hooking your other clubs, like your irons?

Also, the word "stiff" when it comes to shaft flex can be misleading. There are many variations of "stiff", especially with graphite. In some cases, a good regular shaft is as stiff, or stiffer, than an inferior "stiff" shaft.
    Last edited by 962B; May 1, 2005, 09:27 PM. Reason: forgot something
    "Squad 51, KMG 365"

Comment

I suggest you give it a couple more tries. I would think that any club would take a bit of time to get used to. I just got a (hybrid 23 deg) and am not getting as much distance as my 4 iron. The club (my new one) can really get the ball in the air and is really easy to swing but i assume that a few more cracks at the range will get the ball to travel a few more yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Boagz
        So here it is...my old driver had a 8* loft with a stiff shaft and i was a beginner (only started playing last summer)...i tended to slice the ball alot and had a hard time getting it up(because of the loft) so i decided to buy a new driver for this season.

The driver I bought was a callaway big berth 2 with a 10* loft with a regular shaft and today at the range was my first time using it.( i didn't have a choice with the shaft b/c i bought it used off ebay) The thing is i now tend to hook it right...and sometimes straight right.

My question is do u guys think it is the flex of my shaft that is affecting the ball direction.
        ---p.s i dont believe it is my swing machanics b/c i have been told i have a pretty decent swing and tend to shoot 90 or just above.
        Taking you at your word, it makes sense that the too flexible shaft is the cause of your hook. The increase in loft should discourage a hook. If you have both drivers, lay them down on a flat surface in address position holding them between your fingers and check to see if the new one has more closed club face. Some of the higher lofted 450+cc drivers have their faces .5 to 1* closed.

Having checked the actual frequency of dozens of clubs, a scary pattern developed. Almost never, was the frequency of the club the same as what indicated on the shaft label.When you think you are buying a "Regular" flexed shaft, you are highly likely to be buying a "Senior" or "Ladies," flex shaft.

One particular set of irons had each club 40 cpm's softer than what is the charts on my FA said that they should be for "Regular." A close friend bought a set of Hogan's with Apex 3(regular) shafts and they turned out to be "Ladies," flex.

That is why the only clubs that I buy from a retail outlet, are putters.

Comment

Thanks for your input guys,

926B, I was at the docks driving range and yes i am left handed...and now that i think about it, the mats may not have been completely level and to answer your other question, no i dont hook my irons infact that is the most accurate part of my game.

qboss, I agree i should try it a few more times before considering anything such as switching shafts.

shadow, I already sold the other driver , so i cant really compare the two, but also thats not the first time i have heard about something being labeled something when it really isn't.

P.S how much do new shafts cost , plus installing them? and any suggestions if i was to decide to get a new shaft....brand/flex for my skill level?

thanks again
          boagz

Comment

Disagree with y'all. Many new clubs have "hooked" faces, meaning the clubhead already sets up for a hook because 90% of all golfers slice the ball.

A shaft that is too soft will only make you hit the ball higher. There is nothing about a soft shaft that makes you hit huge hooks. I think this is one of the most misunderstood aspects about shafts.
            I'll proove it. Take your wife's driver out for a spin on the range. I bet you hit it straight.

Unless your an ex-pro hockey player with crazy quick hands this should proove soft shafts DON"T cause hooks.

Comment

I have it on good authority from a club maker and club fitter that Calloway is notorious for having bad shafts in their clubs.

Go get fitted properly and it will be free as long as you let the fitter replace the shaft for you. A new shaft will cost you anywhere from $40 - $80.

I have a club fitter on the Golf Show this week. AM900, Thursday evening between 6-7pm.
              Take it one shot at a time

Comment

thanks duffer_devon..

i will try it a few more times then consider reshafting if the problem presists

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X