Collapse

how important is custom fitting?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how important is custom fitting?

So I receive these TM RAC OS as a gift last year. Took'em out of the box and started playing with them same day. Great clubs for a weekend golfer/range who consistently hits mid 90s and the odd 80s.

Now, I'm curious as to how important is custom fitting?
    Will it elevate my game?
    I dont believe RAC OS is a shot shaping club?
    And if not when do i know when to switch to blades?

If needed - Any recommendations on club fitting pro shop in the mississauga area?

Re: how important is custom fitting?

Very important and not all is created equal. The worst a club should play is the
    day you unwrap it as new out-of-the box. Lots of hacks and few masters.
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

So am I able to go back to the shop and have it re-adjusted for lie etc....

Recommendations?

Comment

Something to consider....new clubs out of the box generally have their lofts and lies pretty much dead on, but suppose you're not the average 5'10" male. If you're taller or shorter, you should have the lie adjusted to fit your stature. You may need to adjust your swing to compensate for a hook/slice generaged by that incorrect lie. Now you're swinging differently than you normally would, and that swing is going to be very inconsistent.
        U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

Originally posted by goshawk
          Something to consider....new clubs out of the box generally have their lofts and lies pretty much dead on.
          For some manufacturers this means +/- 1 deree on either loft or lie:
          Consider this for lie: 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43 [imagine the bad yardage gaps]
          Do you want to play: 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44 [very consistent yardage gaps]

Now consider swingweight: Wilson Golf per their web site says D0 to D4 ...
          Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
          Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
          Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Having you clubs tailored to you is extremely important. Would you buy a suit off the rack?

You can have your clubs adjusted to you after purchase and it is not an issue. What Harry is refering to in his last post is that all OEM Maufactorers have a tolerance for varience in their Quality Control, this being typically +or- 1 Degree.
            WITB:

Stage 2 Tour / Accra CB 55 M4
            Stage 2 Tour 16.5 / Accra Tour Z LS 65 M4
            Adams A12 Tour 3,4 / Accra Dymatch RT S3 M4
            Miura 501 CB / Accra Hybrex M4
            Titleist TVD Wedgeworks
            Scotty Cameron Tour Rat
            Scotty Cameron Knuckelhead
            Ball: Lethal

Comment

Even a minor adjustment makes a huge difference. I bought a set of used Pings years ago....black dots, which is the std lie angle....went to Ping for a brief fitting, and they bent them 2* upright, and I was amazed at the change in ballflight...virtually no more balls out to the right....

Comment

Doesn't one's golfing ability come into play? Both of my sets of irons are probably standard (loft, length and lie). Based on my wrist to ground measurement, the standard length of the 5 iron suits me. However, since I cannot break 100 or until I get a handicap, I don't think that custom fitting should be on my high priority list....at least until my golf swing becomes much more consistent. Comments?

Dave

Comment

Even with a somewhat inconsistent swing, fitting can still make a difference. Fitting is not just lie angle adjustments, it also includes shaft flex, head type, grip size shaft lenght and shaft flex. All of these combined can and will definately affect your scoring ability, no matter your scoring ability.

Over time, your shaft flex needs may change as well as your lie angle but those can be adjusted again. My first set of lcubs that were fitted I was 3 deg upright and after swing changes I went down to Standard. I then hac my clubs readjusted to my new lie angle, nothing else needed to change.

And it all made a noticeable difference in my game.

Originally posted by DavidY
                  Doesn't one's golfing ability come into play? Both of my sets of irons are probably standard (loft, length and lie). Based on my wrist to ground measurement, the standard length of the 5 iron suits me. However, since I cannot break 100 or until I get a handicap, I don't think that custom fitting should be on my high priority list....at least until my golf swing becomes much more consistent. Comments?

Dave
                  WITB:

Stage 2 Tour / Accra CB 55 M4
                  Stage 2 Tour 16.5 / Accra Tour Z LS 65 M4
                  Adams A12 Tour 3,4 / Accra Dymatch RT S3 M4
                  Miura 501 CB / Accra Hybrex M4
                  Titleist TVD Wedgeworks
                  Scotty Cameron Tour Rat
                  Scotty Cameron Knuckelhead
                  Ball: Lethal

Comment

I agree that fitting is important. Also, when you buy used clubs don't assume that they haven't been altered. Picked up a set of black dot Ping eye 2's as a backup set....just loved the shallow divot....thought I was a perfect black dot fit....turns out they had been flattened a degree or two.

After hard work I finally shallowed out my driver swing which didn't add to my distance, which was already pretty good, but did make me very accurate with very little sidespin. Suddenly my short irons went haywire....a two degree flattening of my Bridgestones fixed that problem.
                    I like big putts and I cannot lie
                    You other putters can't deny
                    That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                    You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Fitting is very important. I've been hitting a lot better with my old set of irons after Swaaain measured me up and extended them 1/2" and ensured that the lie angles were proper for my height and arm length.

If you are not 5'8"~5'10", which I'm not, you should definitely get fitted. When you are spending hundreds~thousands on your golf equipment... I would think the small charge for a fitting is worth it to get the most out of your equipment.
                      In the bag:
                      -------------
                      Driver: TM R15 14* - Stock S
                      4W: TM RBZ 17* - Stock S
                      3H: Nike Slingshot 20* - Stock S
                      4H: Ping G15 23* - UST iRod S
                      5i~UW: Ping G25 - CFS R

SW: Cleveland RTX 54* - DG Wedge
                      LW: Cleveland RTX 58* - DG Wedge

Putter: Oydssey Sabertooth

Comment

Im totally sold...thanks for all the input. Off to the get my set fitted.

But where?

Any recommendations in the mississauga/oakville/brampton/milton area?

Comment

Originally posted by buying_my_toys
                          So am I able to go back to the shop and have it re-adjusted for lie etc....

Recommendations?
                          get'em blue-printed for u and shave half-a-dozen strokes off right oft the top.
                          PING G2 10°... Callaway Steelhead 3W ... Mizuno Fli-Hi 21° ... Callaway X-14 PS ... Cleveland 588 RTG 53° & 57° ... PING Anser3 ... Maxfli Noodle ... Sun Mountain C-130

Comment

Oakville Custom Club Fitting,
                            Joe Lavery, phone 905-825-5757
                            is located at Trafalgar Road and Dundas.
                            He's next to the CAA.
                            Behind the Longo's Grocery store.

Clarke's Golf, 18 Thompson Road, Milton,
                            From Trafalgar Road, go west, then north on Thompson.
                            North west corner of Main and Thompson
                            phone: 905-878-1818
                            J.J. Gowland
                            Oakville, Ontario
                            Author of "Confessions of a Sandbagger"

Comment

I have never been fit before, so you guys are telling if I get fit my handicap will go down? That being said I have had my lies done twice the only thing I do is make sure my lofts are adjusted.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X