/*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked BEGIN*/ /*Scroll to top when arrow up clicked END*/
Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Ben Hogan's five lessons.

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Sorry to dig this up but I have enjoyed reading this topic. I know it's a bit old but I wanted to ask others on the Hogan grip. I tried it around 3 years ago and I think I might have got my grip wrong.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rfs1EGVYKs

    According to the YouTube video above he didn't bow his left wrist as much as I thought outwards? I think I might have been over-emphasizing this point too much - darn it, makes we want to go out and wack some balls!

    Anyone else has success with this grip?
     

    Comment


    • #47
      I use the grip as Hogan described in the book. I don't see pros using this grip although Stenson comes close. For me , it produces crisper irons and more consistent shots. But I have to say, from my observation, I am definitely in the minority.

      Comment


      • #48
        I used it from 1989-1992. In 1991 I had my best scoring year averaging 71.6 over 100+ rounds played. I lost the feel for it in 1994 and have never got it back to that level of performance.
        King Cobra F9 10.5* , VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
        King Cobra F9 15.5*, UST Helium A Flex
        Mizuno CLK 20*, Speeder Evolution HB S
        Sonartec MD Transition 23*, UST Irod A Flex
        TXG Custom, Mizuno Hot Metal "B" heads, 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2", Soft Stepped Once
        Mizuno S18 50/07, KBS Tour 110 R

        Ping Glide 1.0 ES 55*, Accra 90 wedge
        Callaway MD4 S Grind 58*, DG Tour Issue 115 S
        Ping Karsten TR Pal, 35"

        "Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Playthru View Post
          I use the grip as Hogan described in the book. I don't see pros using this grip although Stenson comes close. For me , it produces crisper irons and more consistent shots. But I have to say, from my observation, I am definitely in the minority.
          I bought the book this year and read it while in Florida for a week. The detail, in such a tiny book, was excruciating. To me the grip shown is neutral bordering on weak. Which is fine, but many golf "experts" are currently on the strong bandwagon. Especially when it comes to fixing the slice\OTT. And yet many "experts" suggest to use the theory in this book. I went from his grip when younger to something stronger
          later on. Every teacher I've had suggests even stronger.

          Comment


          • #50
            Everybody's body is slightly different than others. While it obviously worked very well for Mr. Hogan,his body and all the practicing he did, it may not produce the same results for everyone. Read it, watch it, learn a little bit from it and adapt what works to your personal swing/game. In golf, physically, we can't be a disciple to one teacher.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by nomullies View Post

              I bought the book this year and read it while in Florida for a week. The detail, in such a tiny book, was excruciating. To me the grip shown is neutral bordering on weak. Which is fine, but many golf "experts" are currently on the strong bandwagon. Especially when it comes to fixing the slice\OTT. And yet many "experts" suggest to use the theory in this book. I went from his grip when younger to something stronger
              later on. Every teacher I've had suggests even stronger.
              It is a weak grip and many suggest Hogan used it to correct for a bad hook he had. I have never had a hook or a slice. So it for me it was not to correct a fault. What it did for me was consistency and the shots feel more solid. As Rulie said it is not one size fits all. Greg Norman always said that you should play with the grip that feels best for you.

              RGK 5
              I used it from 1989-1992. In 1991 I had my best scoring year averaging 71.6 over 100+ rounds played.


              Wow, that is very impressive. I would have been dreaming about Q school!

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by rulie View Post
                Everybody's body is slightly different than others. While it obviously worked very well for Mr. Hogan,his body and all the practicing he did, it may not produce the same results for everyone. Read it, watch it, learn a little bit from it and adapt what works to your personal swing/game. In golf, physically, we can't be a disciple to one teacher.
                Agreed. I do find it interesting how trends develop. When I started it was left heel up off the ground on the backswing (RH). Then I converted to leaving it on the ground and now that's where it stays.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Playthru View Post
                  It is a weak grip and many suggest Hogan used it to correct for a bad hook he had. I have never had a hook or a slice. So it for me it was not to correct a fault. What it did for me was consistency and the shots feel more solid. As Rulie said it is not one size fits all. Greg Norman always said that you should play with the grip that feels best for you.

                  RGK 5
                  I used it from 1989-1992. In 1991 I had my best scoring year averaging 71.6 over 100+ rounds played.


                  Wow, that is very impressive. I would have been dreaming about Q school!
                  It was an odd year. I remember shooting 66 on a Sat. and 74 the next day which was the first round of the club championship. Bad timing.
                  King Cobra F9 10.5* , VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
                  King Cobra F9 15.5*, UST Helium A Flex
                  Mizuno CLK 20*, Speeder Evolution HB S
                  Sonartec MD Transition 23*, UST Irod A Flex
                  TXG Custom, Mizuno Hot Metal "B" heads, 6-pw, 1* up, Recoil E460 R + 1/2", Soft Stepped Once
                  Mizuno S18 50/07, KBS Tour 110 R

                  Ping Glide 1.0 ES 55*, Accra 90 wedge
                  Callaway MD4 S Grind 58*, DG Tour Issue 115 S
                  Ping Karsten TR Pal, 35"

                  "Some day the courage of men may fail, but it will not be this day!"

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Axcield View Post
                    Sorry to dig this up but I have enjoyed reading this topic. I know it's a bit old but I wanted to ask others on the Hogan grip. I tried it around 3 years ago and I think I might have got my grip wrong.

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rfs1EGVYKs

                    According to the YouTube video above he didn't bow his left wrist as much as I thought outwards? I think I might have been over-emphasizing this point too much - darn it, makes we want to go out and wack some balls!

                    Anyone else has success with this grip?
                    My plan, when we get back playing, is to go with a grip that is slightly on the stronger side, which is what Hogan used originally. He switched to more neutral grip to avoid hooking - or at least to eliminate the entire left side of every hole.

                    But quite apart from the grip, the video here, which demonstrates his swing, shows that his backswing was incredibly short. His hands barely get above his shoulders and his left arm barely goes above parallel to the ground. I found that surprising. Certainly much different from what most people are doing today.

                    I don't have his book, so I don't know if he addresses that in it.

                    Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post

                      My plan, when we get back playing, is to go with a grip that is slightly on the stronger side, which is what Hogan used originally. He switched to more neutral grip to avoid hooking - or at least to eliminate the entire left side of every hole.

                      But quite apart from the grip, the video here, which demonstrates his swing, shows that his backswing was incredibly short. His hands barely get above his shoulders and his left arm barely goes above parallel to the ground. I found that surprising. Certainly much different from what most people are doing today.

                      I don't have his book, so I don't know if he addresses that in it.
                      His backswing is quite flat and the only thing he emphasizes in the book is that the back must face the target at the top of the backswing. I would not call it a short backswing on a full driver, just not as upright as a modern player. Jason Dufner is a Hogan disciple and if you watch his backswing it is similar, although Dufner has a much stronger grip.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Playthru View Post

                        His backswing is quite flat and the only thing he emphasizes in the book is that the back must face the target at the top of the backswing. I would not call it a short backswing on a full driver, just not as upright as a modern player. Jason Dufner is a Hogan disciple and if you watch his backswing it is similar, although Dufner has a much stronger grip.
                        Thanks for this. Yes, going back to the video of him, it's all more turn than height of hands at the top of the backswing.

                        Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post

                          Thanks for this. Yes, going back to the video of him, it's all more turn than height of hands at the top of the backswing.
                          His shoulder turn was incredibly fast. I'm in super slow motion in comparison.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Playthru View Post
                            I use the grip as Hogan described in the book. I don't see pros using this grip although Stenson comes close. For me , it produces crisper irons and more consistent shots. But I have to say, from my observation, I am definitely in the minority.
                            I think this is the one instance where the artist's depiction of Hogan hands is poorly executed.
                            The wrist join up is far too high and would only be possible if the lead hand's thumb was in the "long thumb" position.
                            The "long" and "short" thumb variations were used in Hogan's time to increase the arc and make a difference in the swing timing.
                            things change

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by bl8d View Post

                              I think this is the one instance where the artist's depiction of Hogan hands is poorly executed.
                              The wrist join up is far too high and would only be possible if the lead hand's thumb was in the "long thumb" position.
                              The "long" and "short" thumb variations were used in Hogan's time to increase the arc and make a difference in the swing timing.
                              I think you are right. On my grip, my right hand is lower than shown on this drawing. I cannot get the base of my right thumb in line with the left index knuckle as depicted in this drawing. Interesting.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I've always looked at that pic for 10+ years and it always bothered me. Ravielli's drawings are otherwise superb !

                                here is a vid for those who don't know what we are talking about.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVx929w45e4
                                things change

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Latest TGN Reviews


                                Collapse

                                PGA Leaderboard


                                Collapse

                                Today's Birthdays


                                Working...
                                X