Collapse

Shawn Clement Review

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shawn Clement Review

I did a 5 lesson pack with Shawn last summer after watching an abundant amount of his YT videos. I liked his idea and method behind the swing (or at least I thought I did.) I thought I liked the premise of no position golf and just swing ideas.

Unfortunately for me, Shawn did not help my game, if anything I feel his advice really hurt my game. For starters, he never remembered who I was, its as if he was just to busy to remember his clients (either that or I'm really forgettable.) But every time we met was like meeting for the first time all over, he never remembered what we did last time, and what my issues were. Each lesson did not really support the last lesson, and it was kind of all over, which is disappointing since I prepaid for 5 lessons up front (I believe its in the realm of $500).

Now aside from him not remembering me or not having a structure to the lessons, the advice he gave, really hurt my game (in my opinion at least). The majority of his advice was to strengthen my grip (a LOT) and to get in this really awkward "behind the ball" stance that looks kind of goofy (anyone whose ever watched his videos will know what I mean). Now I think the premise of "swinging to a target" is a good idea, and has merit. Its just really hard to put into practice, and I think the other advice he gave was bandaids to other problems I had (have) in my swing.

My main miss was a straight push shot before seeing Shawn. After 5 lessons, I was hitting either dead straight pulls or wicked snap hooks. Mainly due to the incredibly strong grip and this weird idea of playing the ball back in my stance. He would have you setup with the ball well behind center, and "get behind it", which caused more problems than it fixed.

I stuck with his advice all last year, and it never improved my game. I mean I stopped hitting the ball right, but hitting them way left wasn't really helping either. I found the setup that he was putting me in was causing me to stay back on my trail leg and sometimes started hitting shots thin or fat as well.

Anyways, I thought I would review my 5 lessons with Shawn as Ive found another coach and significantly improved and undone a lot of what Shawn tried to implement. Im not sure I could recommend him, he really did seem just way to busy, he always had a lesson before and after me. Obviously people like his advice as he has to be one of the busiest golf coaches around. I think the advice he tries to give works incredibly well for himself, as he can really visualize the shot hes trying to hit, but if you cant match that visualization up yourself, all the other stuff just causes problems.

I will add that I do believe he is an incredibly talented golfer, He has to be one of the only people on the planet who can swing the club both left and right handed. Also when he demonstrates he can hit the bell incredibly well. For me the advice just didnt translate.

Sorry for the long read. Hope its a fair review.

Re: Shawn Clement Review

When I take lessons I think it's really important finding a coach who swings similar to how you "think" you swing. I've had a number of different coaches but only 2 have really made a difference in my scores in the fewest amount of lessons... Bill Bath and Steve Kostoff.
    Bag: PING Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Floral
    Driver: TM SIM2 MAX @ 10.5*
    Wood: TM SIM2 MAX @ 15*
    Hybrids: TM SIM2 22*
    Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW
    Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60*
    Putter: SGC WB Northwood
    Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Comment

I took some lessons at RHGC a few years ago, not with Shawn but with one of the other instructors there. He did help my game as I was having trouble just getting the ball off the ground but the other things you mentioned also happened to me - felt like the instructor didn't remember who I was or what we did each week, no plan just a bunch of drills they probably give to everyone. I was very disappointed in the process and I think my results may have been due as much to the fact that I started going to the range three times a week as they were to the actual lessons and drills.

I started going to Gord Burns, who is a sponsor here, a couple of summers ago. Great guy and instructor/coach who gets results quickly; really helped me a lot. Very friendly, remembers who you are even a year later, adapts his approach to suit the player - by that I mean if he sees a drill isn't working for you, he'll switch to a different one that accomplishes the same end. Thought I would give him a bit of a plug.

Comment

Originally posted by TJames View Post
        For starters, he never remembered who I was, its as if he was just to busy to remember his clients (either that or I'm really forgettable.) But every time we met was like meeting for the first time all over, he never remembered what we did last time, and what my issues were. Each lesson did not really support the last lesson, and it was kind of all over, which is disappointing
        I had an instructor like that once (not Shawn), when I first got started and found it frustrating as well. Never went back to him and have always looked for instructors that I connect more with and not someone just going through the motions (or at least as a better memory)

Comment

Here's my 2 cents worth - sorry for the long read ...

I have been taking lessons from Shawn for over 7 years. Obviously I have found a lot of value in them to continue for as long as I have. I have commented on him in the past in previous posts.

I have spent a lot of time with him in winter practice sessions where there are 4 people that he is overseeing at a time. What I have seen is that the people who get the most value from him are the ones who buy into his philosophy. Others struggle because they still prefer to take a couple of nuggets from his teaching and then incorporate in to their existing swing. Not saying that's what you did or indeed if that's wrong - just that those are the people that I have not seen to benefit as much.

As for him not remembering what you did last time - that is certainly a function of how busy he is. It has happened to me as well in the beginning. My solution to that was to simply go over what we covered in the last session and what we were working towards. That helped a lot.

In conclusion, I think he suits students who are willing to significantly change their existing swing thoughts and mechanics rather than tweaking existing setups.

Comment

Originally posted by torrentman View Post
            Here's my 2 cents worth - sorry for the long read ...

I have been taking lessons from Shawn for over 7 years. Obviously I have found a lot of value in them to continue for as long as I have. I have commented on him in the past in previous posts.

I have spent a lot of time with him in winter practice sessions where there are 4 people that he is overseeing at a time. What I have seen is that the people who get the most value from him are the ones who buy into his philosophy. Others struggle because they still prefer to take a couple of nuggets from his teaching and then incorporate in to their existing swing. Not saying that's what you did or indeed if that's wrong - just that those are the people that I have not seen to benefit as much.

As for him not remembering what you did last time - that is certainly a function of how busy he is. It has happened to me as well in the beginning. My solution to that was to simply go over what we covered in the last session and what we were working towards. That helped a lot.

In conclusion, I think he suits students who are willing to significantly change their existing swing thoughts and mechanics rather than tweaking existing setups.
            A coach should remember a paying client name, and remember what they did last time without being reminded.
            Give me $500 for 5 lessons and I'll remember your wife, and kids names too, to include the name of your dog.

Sounds like Shawn likes to change the swing to a particular image, instead of tweaking what you bring to the table.
            It's not always the optimal strategy to significantly change. Personally I'd stay away, even though he has a stable of higher profile golfers.

Proof is in the results, and even the top coaches are not always right with the Px they dispense. Like the OP did, if no benefit then move on.
            Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
            Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
            Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
              A coach should remember a paying client name, and remember what they did last time without being reminded.
              Give me $500 for 5 lessons and I'll remember your wife, and kids names too, to include the name of your dog.

Sounds like Shawn likes to change the swing to a particular image, instead of tweaking what you bring to the table.
              It's not always the optimal strategy to significantly change. Personally I'd stay away, even though he has a stable of higher profile golfers.

Proof is in the results, and even the top coaches are not always right with the Px they dispense. Like the OP did, if no benefit then move on.
              Couldn't have put it better.

I did not work directly with Shawn so can't speak to his lessons but I know that one of his assistants displayed the same traits the OP was talking about - didn't remember me or what we had done and no apparent lesson plan.

In a private lesson I expect an element of personalized service; if you are too busy or are just not good at remembering, write it down and take two minutes to refresh your memory before the next lesson. Not hard.

Comment

Did OP or any others with similar experiences share their thoughts with Shawn? That would be some valuable and constructive criticism for anyone running their own business.
                We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                Srixon Star XV
                Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
                  Did OP or any others with similar experiences share their thoughts with Shawn? That would be some valuable and constructive criticism for anyone running their own business.
                  Fair point and, to be honest, I did not. Like I said, the lessons helped so it wasn't all bad but when they were done I just moved on to another instructor. Your point is valid and is something I should have done instead of just criticizing on an internet forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
                    Fair point and, to be honest, I did not. Like I said, the lessons helped so it wasn't all bad but when they were done I just moved on to another instructor. Your point is valid and is something I should have done instead of just criticizing on an internet forum.
                    I hear ya - it's not in everyone's nature to give negative feedback because it can easily come off as confrontational. Maybe he'll google himself and read this thread.
                    We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                    Srixon Star XV
                    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

I would have dropped a "Hey Shane" or "See ya next time Sammy" on him. Take him down a peg or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Smittyman View Post
                        I took some lessons at RHGC a few years ago, not with Shawn but with one of the other instructors there. He did help my game as I was having trouble just getting the ball off the ground but the other things you mentioned also happened to me - felt like the instructor didn't remember who I was or what we did each week, no plan just a bunch of drills they probably give to everyone. I was very disappointed in the process and I think my results may have been due as much to the fact that I started going to the range three times a week as they were to the actual lessons and drills.

I started going to Gord Burns, who is a sponsor here, a couple of summers ago. Great guy and instructor/coach who gets results quickly; really helped me a lot. Very friendly, remembers who you are even a year later, adapts his approach to suit the player - by that I mean if he sees a drill isn't working for you, he'll switch to a different one that accomplishes the same end. Thought I would give him a bit of a plug.
                        Absolutely +1 to Gord - I've had a few lessons over the years from a few different people and no one has come close to Gord. He is quite versed in the mental process thru his playing experience and works with a wide variety from kids to us old guys.

Comment

Speaking generally, but a few years ago I did a 10 lesson package with a well regarded pro out west. Great guy, new the golf swing, we could have played together or had lunch/drinks and talked golf all day.

I really tried to communicate my thoughts and goals to him, and we just never clicked. I felt like each lesson was new - we didn't seem to be building.

I realized after not to commit to a package with someone unless I have done a couple of sessions with them first.

I went to another well regarded pro a couple of years later. We did a trackman session. His advice - "you do pretty well considering how you swing. We could do a rebuild but you will be a 12 before you get below 5, and you may never come back to 5. Save your money and stay sharp inside 100 yards."

Comment

Originally posted by Zebb View Post

I went to another well regarded pro a couple of years later. We did a trackman session. His advice - "you do pretty well considering how you swing. We could do a rebuild but you will be a 12 before you get below 5, and you may never come back to 5. Save your money and stay sharp inside 100 yards."
                            That sounds like a wise pro, and some great advice.

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
                              No, kind of harder to do than said I think. Plus he was really busy when I was seeing him, I had to book weeks out for lessons. I dont think he was overly concerned about that, since he was very busy.

He often started our lesson with "so what do you want to work on today". and usually somewhere in the middle of the lesson he would ask "so have we worked on "insert drill or technique" in the past?". Just kind of tough since he really had zero memory of anything we did.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X