Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aligning Puts - before or after taking stance ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Pin Seeker View Post

    What's not simple about it. You find your line you aim the putter You square yourself to the putter and then pull the trigger
    It's not simple to do it properly and get it right.

    Most people don't actually line up to the point where they believe they're aiming.
    So, they may be 'square' to a line, but not the line that they think they're on.
    Sage of the GTA...

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by DCBABY View Post
      I sometimes imaging how a river would flow to get to the hole.
      A river? How big are the greens at your course?
      Sage of the GTA...

      Comment


      • #18
        I'm in the group that doesn't use the line on the ball. I tried it, was taught to do it at a short-game weekend at Deer Creek Academy, but I hated it. I never felt I had the line set up right. It was either slightly off target, or slightly off centre or.... wrong.

        So I ignore the ball, read my line from behind, try to find a spot in the grass that my ball needs to pass over and set up for that. Then just try to get the speed right while stroking the ball over that point. Then watch and see if it works out.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

        Comment


        • #19
          random internet search on topic reveals the following good quote:
          "In a number of sports, such as basketball and tennis, you face the target and have the benefit of binocular vision. When you putt you are alongside the ball, and from this angle your vision can be skewed. Where you think you are aiming your putterface is not where the target really is. Faulty visual perception is more often the cause of missed putts than faulty stroke mechanics. "

          That is why the only reliable way to aim your putt is from behind the ball, using your binocular vision.

          After that it doesn't matter if you use a line on the ball or a spot on the ground. Personally, I don't see any problem with using the line on the ball, and don't think it slows the game at all. The people who are slow using the line on the ball would have been even slower without the line as they search for a spot on the ground to aim at. Using the line is ultra quick. Stand behind the ball, hold the ball up with the line, aim the line, put the ball down and you have your target line.

          Then you can putt looking at where you want the ball to go, or putt looking at the ball, or putt looking in front of the ball. Doesn't matter. But the line on the ball, or the spot on the ground will help you line up square to your intended target. If you aim from your stance using your sideways vision, you are highly unlikely to be aiming where you think you are (as the monocular side vision skews your sense of line.

          Comment


          • #20
            This is also a good process:
            https://www.golftipsmag.com/instruct...tting-routine/

            1) Aim from behind the ball. Go ahead and use the line on the ball.
            2) Take stance (based on the line), but then look at the hole and judge effort and speed.
            3) Then trust the line, but forget the line. i.e. the line just ensure you are aligned, but no need to focus on it.
            4) Make the putt. concentrate on the feel you had when looking at the hole.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by multimut View Post
              random internet search on topic reveals the following good quote:
              "In a number of sports, such as basketball and tennis, you face the target and have the benefit of binocular vision. When you putt you are alongside the ball, and from this angle your vision can be skewed. Where you think you are aiming your putterface is not where the target really is. Faulty visual perception is more often the cause of missed putts than faulty stroke mechanics. "

              That is why the only reliable way to aim your putt is from behind the ball, using your binocular vision.

              After that it doesn't matter if you use a line on the ball or a spot on the ground. Personally, I don't see any problem with using the line on the ball, and don't think it slows the game at all. The people who are slow using the line on the ball would have been even slower without the line as they search for a spot on the ground to aim at. Using the line is ultra quick. Stand behind the ball, hold the ball up with the line, aim the line, put the ball down and you have your target line.

              Then you can putt looking at where you want the ball to go, or putt looking at the ball, or putt looking in front of the ball. Doesn't matter. But the line on the ball, or the spot on the ground will help you line up square to your intended target. If you aim from your stance using your sideways vision, you are highly unlikely to be aiming where you think you are (as the monocular side vision skews your sense of line.
              I use the line, like the line and set it up while others are putting. If this is slowing down play you are doing it wrong
              MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Benz View Post

                It's not simple to do it properly and get it right.

                Most people don't actually line up to the point where they believe they're aiming.
                So, they may be 'square' to a line, but not the line that they think they're on.
                Actually being square to the line is not that important. What is important is that the putter head travel down the line. Being square helps in knowing if you pulled or pushed your putts. Nicklaus, Trevino open stance. . I believe Player was a closed stance for a longtime.
                "The Older I Get...
                The Longer My Drives Used To Be."
                Relationships are a lot like algebra. Have you ever looked at your X and wondered Y

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Pin Seeker View Post

                  Actually being square to the line is not that important. What is important is that the putter head travel down the line. Being square helps in knowing if you pulled or pushed your putts. Nicklaus, Trevino open stance. . I believe Player was a closed stance for a longtime.
                  Agreed.

                  My point was that many players are square to a line, and may have their putter head travel down that line, but that line is not oriented to the same point that they believe it is.
                  Sage of the GTA...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Benz View Post

                    Agreed.

                    My point was that many players are square to a line, and may have their putter head travel down that line, but that line is not oriented to the same point that they believe it is.
                    The alignment of the shoulders in a pendulum stroke has more influence on the path of the club head than the alignment of the feet.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Benz View Post

                      A river? How big are the greens at your course?
                      Just an analogy, and flow would be the key word of the statement. It might not click with you, but might with others. Just like the other suggestions offered to VO. Some ways are more efficient to align, but if the brain doesn't buy it, it won't do a lick of good with executing the task.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

                        I use the line, like the line and set it up while others are putting. If this is slowing down play you are doing it wrong
                        Does that not bother some of your playing partners? on the golf course not much if anything can bother me, ( outside of my own stupidity) However, i do find it distracting on a green when I am puttung and people between me and the hole and in my field of view are moving around.
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by DCBABY View Post

                          Just an analogy, and flow would be the key word of the statement. It might not click with you, but might with others. Just like the other suggestions offered to VO. Some ways are more efficient to align, but if the brain doesn't buy it, it won't do a lick of good with executing the task.
                          That's a great line!

                          It describes perfectly why I couldn't use the line on the ball. My brain just never bought into it. I've watched a thousand pros use it a million times, so I'm sure it's a good technique. If only I could convince my brain of that....
                          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                          ...Iggy

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

                            That's a great line!

                            It describes perfectly why I couldn't use the line on the ball. My brain just never bought into it. I've watched a thousand pros use it a million times, so I'm sure it's a good technique. If only I could convince my brain of that....
                            touche
                            "The Older I Get...
                            The Longer My Drives Used To Be."
                            Relationships are a lot like algebra. Have you ever looked at your X and wondered Y

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Further to my statement, there's a point when technique consumes the process, and one is lost with the original intent.
                              Concentrate on hitting towards the target and not the ball at your feet. And target is not the hole but the point where the ball gets to the hole.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                from what I see on the course, and on screen, is that the putting challenge for the different player levels are these.
                                amateur- off line and short.
                                low cap-mostly off line and seldom short.
                                Pro- on line but short
                                Things change.

                                Ping i25, PWR75 s
                                Ping i25 3w Accra Tour Z LS M4
                                Ping i25 5w PWR75s
                                Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
                                Ping ISI W2, W3
                                Cal i-Trax

                                Comment

                                Advanced Search

                                Join The TGN Email List

                                Collapse

                                Recently Joined

                                Collapse

                                Topics: 160,868   Posts: 1,689,857   Members: 45,308   Active Members: 267
                                Welcome to our newest member, Epic Pro.

                                Today's Birthdays

                                Collapse

                                PGA Leaderboard

                                Collapse


                                TGN Sponsors




                                TGN Sponsors

                                Working...
                                X