Collapse

Ball First Sand Shots

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball First Sand Shots

Just watched a Moe Norman hitting sand shots vid. IIANM, it looked to me that he did not use the usual, "blast the ball out with the sand" method, but basically chipped the ball out of sand bunker, with his famous precision, 3' from the pin every time
    Is this, "ball first" method possible as an alternative sand play ?
    Anybody tried this and/or would care to comment on it.

Thanks and cheers !

Not sure what video u watched...but hes definetly hitting sand first. He even says it.

Comment

OP-VO, I do this often when I have a great lie.. I simply use the bounce of the club to get up and out with spin.. and as mentioned it's still sand first but not 2-4 inches behind. (you actually hear the ball making contact with the face)

Comment

@iSlice
        THANKS for your input, much appreciated. I think you described exactly how Moe hit his sand shots. He also used a special SW, with a very pronounced bounce.

@Jasonp
        Here is the screen just after Moe hit the ball. The ball he hit was in line with the ball remaining in the sand, right of it. To me (and my 75 year old eyes ) it looks that sand divot DID NOT START BEFORE THE BALL ?

BUT REGARDLESS OF MOE, ANY COMMENTS ON "BALL FIRST" out of sand ?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by veryold; Jun 28, 2018, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Watch the video and listen tho...he is still hitting sand first you can hear it. Again he says it himself that he hits sand first. Hes just not hitting 1 to 3" before the ball...maybe .5"

As for your picture camera angles can be deceiving. There was a recent video on WRX explaining why. Regardless if he was hitting ball first with a full proper divot as Moe did his divot would be about .5" past the ball as hed strike ball first then ground.

This bunker is also very firm meaning you need a nice smoother swing like moe is doing and less sand. If you have super fluffy sand you need a bigger more aggressice swing and more sand.

Comment

Mo was special ball striker and had the precision to play a cleaner pick. It's a bit more risky for us average Joes. Read or was told a story ( not sure how true but I can believe it) but he apparently used the same tee for like a year or longer and was asked how/why to which he replied "I hit the ball not the tee."

For me = average Joe, I like to play fairway bunker shots with the ball back and depending on the lie , proximity of the lip and the hardness/softness either pick it clean or hit it with a descending blow ball first as if taking a divot. For greenside shots it really depends on the level of the bunker to the green, lip and lie....will either blast or chip
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
              For me = average Joe, I like to play fairway bunker shots with the ball back and depending on the lie , proximity of the lip and the hardness/softness either pick it clean or hit it with a descending blow ball first as if taking a divot. For greenside shots it really depends on the level of the bunker to the green, lip and lie....will either blast or chip
              Agreed. I take as much sand as I can in a greenside bunker depending on the depth of the sand and the requirement to get the ball up in the air (either to clear a lip, or to land softly).

In a fairway bunker, i usually aim to hit it a little thin if it's soft dry sand, or hit ball first then a bit of sand if it's a shallower bunker with harder or slightly wet sand.
              What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
              TM Rescue 17*
              TM M2 4-AW
              TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
              Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                Just watched a Moe Norman hitting sand shots vid. IIANM, it looked to me that he did not use the usual, "blast the ball out with the sand" method, but basically chipped the ball out of sand bunker, with his famous precision, 3' from the pin every time
                Is this, "ball first" method possible as an alternative sand play ?
                Anybody tried this and/or would care to comment on it.

Thanks and cheers !
                the wedge he is using in that video is very wide soled, not that different from the Alien type and other iterations of its kind.
                according to this link info Moe wasn't very good out of a bunker until he came across this wedge that let him swing (square on) his way.

things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post

the wedge he is using in that video is very wide soled, not that different from the Alien type and other iterations of its kind.
                  according to this link info Moe wasn't very good out of a bunker until he came across this wedge that let him swing (square on) his way.

just another reason Moe was ahead of his time
                  "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

For me if the ball is sitting up and the sand is fairly hard i'll hit ball first with an open face. If its cratered you have no choice and have to use the blast out the sand method.

I'd say use whatever method makes you feel most comfortable and give you the most control.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                      Mo was special ball striker and had the precision to play a cleaner pick. It's a bit more risky for us average Joes. Read or was told a story ( not sure how true but I can believe it) but he apparently used the same tee for like a year or longer and was asked how/why to which he replied "I hit the ball not the tee."

Regarding your comment about Moe using the same tee for a year or longer, I believe it was probably true. I had the pleasure of seeing Moe putting on a clinic on two occasions. What amazed me was the fact that the tee never moved, no matter how many shots he hit. When I hit a driver the tee could wind up anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post

Regarding your comment about Moe using the same tee for a year or longer, I believe it was probably true. I had the pleasure of seeing Moe putting on a clinic on two occasions. What amazed me was the fact that the tee never moved, no matter how many shots he hit. When I hit a driver the tee could wind up anywhere.
                        I may be wrong here, but if Moe used the modern, 460 cc driver, especially those with the deeper faces, there is no way the tee wouldn't be clipped. Only way to not touch the tee would be a totally THIN SHOT at the very bottom of the face, no ?

Comment

This was LONG LONG before 460 cc drivers.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X