Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alignment!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment!

With longer clubs, I tend to aim right. With shorter clubs I tend to aim left. I find that I have to really focus on clubface and shoulder, hip, and feet alignment or my alignment is way off. Sometimes the club and body go in opposite directions, resulting in the most gorgeous snap hooks you will ever see.

I'm trying to develop a quick preshot routine to help me get into good starting positions. Any suggestions on what to do at the range and then at the course to ensure my club face and body are aligned properly, would be greatly appreciated.
    What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.
    - Arnold Palmer

Hey Vijay. For me it is all about getting out the alignment sticks. You can then see what you think is proper alignment vs what really is correct. The feedback is immediate. Then it is just a matter of practicing/refining your routine to get into your setup. You don't even have to hit a shot each time. If you have your phone handy you can take a quick video to see how it looks from down your toe line.

Comment

Practice alignment, and as per Gridiron, use alignment sticks to see if you are really lined up where you think you are lined up. Even the pros practice this before the round starts.

Here's a good summary of steps and tips to work on alignment.
      https://golfstateofmind.com/alignmen...ery-golf-shot/

PS: you can get alignment sticks for much less if you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy some driveway marker sticks.

Comment

Nick Starchuk helped me with this a few years back. Had me do 95% of my pre shot setup looking at the pin. I really only looked at the ball right before I swung. After a few hours of this, I hit 4-5 kick ins from all over the place the next time I played - one of my most accurate rounds ever. Go back to it every time I struggle with line.

Comment

With my irons, I struggle with lining up too closed to the target.
          As such, the only way back to the pin is a draw swing, which often gets over-cooked.

Over the winter I hit plenty of balls in a Sim. The problem with that is there are always lines to give stance guidance, such as carpet/turf seams. I'm sure I got really lazy taking my stance as no thought was involved. I've became a driving range hero who can't bring it to the course.
          Last edited by ARL67; Jul 11, 2018, 08:37 PM.
          WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
          Cobra F8+ with Attas 5 GoGo 60 Stiff
          Callaway 816 16* with Rogue Black 70 Stiff
          Titleist 915HD 17.5* with Rogue Black 80 Stiff

Callaway X Forged UT 22* with Accra i110
          Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Modus3 120 Stiff ( SL & TLT )
          Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Accra i110
          Nike VR Pro 54* & 60* with Accra i110
          Edel E-2 Putter with Pure grip
          Nike Platinum/Black

Comment

Originally posted by multimut View Post
            Practice alignment, and as per Gridiron, use alignment sticks to see if you are really lined up where you think you are lined up. Even the pros practice this before the round starts.

Here's a good summary of steps and tips to work on alignment.
            https://golfstateofmind.com/alignmen...ery-golf-shot/

PS: you can get alignment sticks for much less if you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy some driveway marker sticks.
            I like the technique outlined in that article. I'm going to put that into practice this weekend.

I always start from behind the ball and look at my target line but it's the details after that step that make the most sense. Trace a small element in front of the ball, line up with that, find a parallel line and line my feet up to that.

Simple, genius.

Here's to more GIRs this season!

Comment

Originally posted by multimut View Post

Um, wat? or just use two clubs ????

Comment

Alignment has been very frustrating for me this season. More so on the tee boxes especially when tee blocks are facing slightly off centre. I just find that I feel like I'm aligned correctly, but in fact I'm not. I've had some rounds where I'm either pushing it with an open club face or a nice pull draw. Grrr!!!
                What's in the bag?
                TM M2
                Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                PING Sigma G Putter
                Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Originally posted by Giller31 View Post
                  Alignment has been very frustrating for me this season. More so on the tee boxes especially when tee blocks are facing slightly off centre. I just find that I feel like I'm aligned correctly, but in fact I'm not. I've had some rounds where I'm either pushing it with an open club face or a nice pull draw. Grrr!!!
                  I tend to pick spot slightly ahead of the ball,works most times.

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post

Really? Wow, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post

Clubs are tapered whereas alignment sticks and driveway markers (seriously, they're like $3 each) are straight.

When they talk about alignment and say things like "even 1 degree out of alignment can cause your shot to be 15 yards off line" and you consider how much taper there is from hosel to the end of the grip that's a big difference.

Considering how much we spend on balls and other equipment I'd say $5-15 for alignment sticks is a pretty decent investment overall. They can also be stuck in the ground at varying angles to help with swing plane, takeaway, etc. or set up in front of you a-la football field goal posts so you can align your ball flight / target line right off the club face.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                        I tend to pick spot slightly ahead of the ball,works most times.
                        I do the same, but if I'm careless and not making sure my feet (and subsequently shoulders and hips) are aligned with my club, I will come way outside-in and push the ball right. It's one of those things where I realize I really need to focus.
                        What's in the bag?
                        TM M2
                        Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                        PING Sigma G Putter
                        Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

I need to practice some of the things posted here. Thanks. Yes, need to retrain the mind. When I am aligned it looks like my target is left of where I think it should be.

I found a temporary solution at least when I'm an on the tee block. I use the line on the ball. Made a huge difference today.

​​​​​​

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.
                          - Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by vijay View Post
                            I found a temporary solution at least when I'm an on the tee block. I use the line on the ball. Made a huge difference today.
                            Great idea. Might as well use the line when teeing the ball. I do this as well.

I admit, I'm a golf geek. I not only use a line on the ball on the tee to help with alignment, but the line I use is marked with the check go spinner.

Here's a lnk my prior post on it, with link to a review by people who were sceptical of the benefits at first, but now swear by using a line (not just any line, but a spin balanced line).

https://www.torontogolfnuts.com/foru...et-spot-finder

and direct link to the review... http://clubmaker-online.com/golfclubreview.pdf

Comment

Advanced Search

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 160,835   Posts: 1,689,228   Members: 45,298   Active Members: 279
                            Welcome to our newest member, Murphy.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                            X