/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

I'm at a loss with distance control of a flop shot.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm at a loss with distance control of a flop shot.

I can execute a good flop shot reliably with my lob wedge. But I can't seem to find a way to control the distance. Any suggestions?

Thanks

M
    Member of Cedar Brae GC

Originally posted by SkyMark View Post
    I can execute a good flop shot reliably with my lob wedge. But I can't seem to find a way to control the distance. Any suggestions?

Thanks

M
    There are 2 approaches to this, doing it by feel and doing it based on a system. Dave Pelz has a system he has written about how to do it. I am really more a feel player in this regard. I find the lie can impact how far you have to bring the club back which breaks down when you use a system. In the end, it's practice and experience for me.
    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Dependent on a number of things, particularly the lie.....much tougher to control the spin out of rough versus a tighter lie. In the former count on more roll out and the latter less.

I will move the ball in my stance slightly to alter the trajectory, mid stance for normal, more forward for higher, more reward for lower...each of these inturn will have different roll out. I use the same swing but just adjust the length of that swing on back and on follow through. Also helps to eliminate any wrist hinge on these shots

these are all from instruction with Larry Cheung and have made a big improvement in my short game
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

If I recall correctly, Dave Peltz's system did not really apply to flop shots. It only applied to using different length of backswing for adjusting distances on each particular wedge, for standard chip and pitch shots.

I think what Dave said about flop shots is that more force put into a shot usually gave more height as opposed to distance. As with Jeffc, distance on a flop shot is more a function of the lie and a lot of practice is needed to sort out the finer points.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
        X