Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid-round breakdown help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-round breakdown help

Hoping to get some ideas about what to do here... Almost all of my rounds having been going well. Sort of. I'm averaging 45 on the front nine, but then by about hole #11 or 12, I have a complete breakdown and seem to lose my swing. Badly.

Played Copetown Woods yesterday and shot 46 on the front, but then 55 on the back. Spraying the driver, and my approach shots are going wildly OB, left and right. It's like I completely forget what to do over the ball.

Help!
    Greg

Maybe it's a mental thing, are you losing focus? What do you eat/drink between 9s if anything?

Comment

Same thing happens to me. Its usually i start to lose focus. My swing is decent if i remember a lot of little things. They havent become second nature yet. But halfway thru i stop thinking about them and old habits kick in. Swing slowly falls apart.

Also fatigue will set in.
      Driver---Taylormade M3 (8.5) Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 6X 45"
      3W------Taylormade M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
      5W------Taylormade M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
      3i-------Taylormade TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
      Irons------Maltby MMB-17 4-PW Modus 3 125X
      Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG) & Taylormade Hi-Toe (60) Modus 3 125X/Modus 3 125 Wedge
      Putter-----Taylormade Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR

Comment

Break the course down into 3 hole sections. After each 3 holes, flush the bad and continue the good. By compartmentalizing your round, you may be better able to deal with a few struggles. And not feel despondent with 7 or 8 holes left.
        In my case, my bad 9's are usualy due to lapses in focus. Not staying committed to a hole or a swing. Waving at the ball instead of properly staying on plane.
        No good deed goes unpunished.
        A birdie is usually followed by

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post
          Hoping to get some ideas about what to do here... Almost all of my rounds having been going well. Sort of. I'm averaging 45 on the front nine, but then by about hole #11 or 12, I have a complete breakdown and seem to lose my swing. Badly.

Played Copetown Woods yesterday and shot 46 on the front, but then 55 on the back. Spraying the driver, and my approach shots are going wildly OB, left and right. It's like I completely forget what to do over the ball.

Help!
          I seem to be having trouble finishing the last four holes, so I have to find a 12-hole course. Golf Pro asked if I was preparing my speech...

Comment

Staying well hydrated during the round and having something like a banana or unsalted almonds at the turn can make a difference to avoid "fatigue".
            Driver - Cobra F7
            Fwy Metals - TM M2 3+5
            Hybrids - TM SLDR 4+5
            Irons - TM M4 6-AW
            Wedges - King Cobra 54+58
            Putter - Scotty GoLo5r

PAEUNGOO NAEMSAE

Comment

Exactly how many beers are you drinking at the turn? :-)
              MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                Exactly how many beers are you drinking at the turn? :-)
                My game typically improves after a couple pops....2-3 .....i dont feel as tense over the ball and dont think as much. Perfect example was my last round played at Wyndance....shot 51 and 40. Ive shot some of my lowest scores when pretty lit on a boys weeknd away.....but also some pretty bad ones too
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

This problem I find happens when we go off feel by itself.

Does your swing feel different at the point when it breaks down then when you started?

My opinion is that the body actually warms up to the golf swing as we go along and your stronger muscles start to overpower the entire swing itself. At this point the swing will feel different.

I've had this problem in the past where my right side of the body starts to over power the swing. This is usually when people tell you to swing easy, thereby your dominate side eases off the trigger and allows your more passive muscles to activate again. Sometimes we believe it comes from lack of focus but I do not believe this is the case at all, we just cannot feel what we were feeling at the start of the round, no matter how much we try to get that feeling back.

The way I fixed the breaking down was to actually ignore feel. Like I obviously use feel for hitting measured shots and putts and short game, but for the swing itself you might need to be aware of what is changing when your dominate muscles start to take over.

You might want to video record your swing at the start of the round. Have your friend record it. Then when your swing starts to break down get another video. Then compare the two. You will probably see one side of your body gets warmed up and overpowers the other side.

If you can tame and even harness your dominate side when it does get warmed up (waking up the beast), then in actuality you won't have to swing easy and you should be generating more power and control as the round progresses rather than your dominate side overpowering and destroying your technique.

Hope this helps!
                  Last edited by Kiwe; Aug 2, 2018, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Are you walking or riding? Is there a consistent weather pattern - ie, is it really hot and humid?

Personally I walk and I've found the formula that works for me is calories and hydration. I make two wraps each with a small tortilla, 2TBSP or peanut butter and half a banana. I eat one after 6 holes and the next after 12. That helps bring up my protein, carbs and sugar levels and I get it in me before I get fully exhausted. Also hydration. I bring a lot of water and Gatorade G2 with me and drink a little bit every hole. Depending on how hot it is that may be anywhere from a few sips to half a bottle.

If your rounds are falling apart on the back nine it's either mental or physical. Eliminate the physical from the equation and then it's only mental. If that's the case, pick up "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella and give it a thorough read.

Comment

Gregoire, do you look at your score and let that get in your head? I've had 2 rounds lately where I've had 43 or 44 on the front and think "hey I'm playing OK, maybe I'll break 90 today" and then wind up with a 46 or 47 to foil that plan. It's hard as I use an app that automatically has the total going, but I try not to really focus on it.

Someone on here once referred to those rounds as a Ray-Ray. Front 9 like Ray Floyd, back 9 like Ray Charles
                      What's in the bag?
                      TM M2
                      Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
                      PING Sigma G Putter
                      Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Weve all been there. Your swing was fine and is fine. You want to fix something that doesnt need to be fixed. Your body motion is in response to your thought process. Go back to the one focus you had on the front. Stop chirping in your own ear.

Dont add up your score after 9. Regardless of what your score is, you know when you are swinging well. If I pure a shot and I miss long or short, Im good with that, its my club selection that is the issue.

lastly, is your back 9 strain level the same as the front? or are you expounding more effort to reach your distances...fatigue. If that is the case, play one more club on the back!

Comment

I should have had 10 rounds in the 70"s this yr.
                          But I have the same issue . 4 bad holes around 12-16 .
                          Yesterday, 38 on the front, back 9 , 3 doubles in a 4 hole stretch. Birdie 18 for a 43.
                          Its funny how things go sideways all of a sudden.

Comment

Some great tips here so far, thank you!!!

Weird, but I had exactly the same score this morning. 46 on the front, 55 on the back. The good news is a lot of those doubles and triples on the back were penalties. Yes, that's good news as I was striking the ball a bit better, some flying high and deep (into the water)... Damn you Royal Woodbine and your narrow fairways, ponds and creeks !!!!!

Great tips about staying hydrated and fed (have been doing that all along), so the good news is that based on some of these responses here, I believe it is indeed a focus problem. On the back nine today I took a bit more time over the ball, and even stepped back a couple of times, really trying to focus more on the practice swing ... and I really saw some results. I guess I have been playing too fast (too lazy) on the back nine, often walking up to the ball, doing a half-azzed practice swing and then firing away.

The extra club tip on the back nine is really good, thanks for that.
                            And will start drinking some beers too. If only the cart girl would come by at 10am.
                            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Giller31 View Post
                              Gregoire, do you look at your score and let that get in your head? I've had 2 rounds lately where I've had 43 or 44 on the front and think "hey I'm playing OK, maybe I'll break 90 today" and then wind up with a 46 or 47 to foil that plan. It's hard as I use an app that automatically has the total going, but I try not to really focus on it.

Someone on here once referred to those rounds as a Ray-Ray. Front 9 like Ray Floyd, back 9 like Ray Charles
                              Ha!! I stared using the Golf Logix app just today and saw the score (even though I didn't want too). But I still kinda knew I was around 45 at the turn. Making a lot of bogies and the odd par usually paints that picture. Yeah, just call me Ray-Ray from now on.

Man that app runs the battery low.
                              Greg

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 164,208   Posts: 1,718,195   Members: 45,688   Active Members: 190
                              Welcome to our newest member, Kdaw11.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X