Looking for more.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for more.

Hello

first post here. I’ve been a hack at golf off on for over ten years and have broken 100 a few time but I’m vary inconsistent. I’ve muscled through all this time teaching myself how to play but I think all the YouTube videos and books I’ve read I know I have hit the top of my game and I’m looking for more.

I dont play as much as I would like to as I don’t have many friends that play golf. I do have the odd stroke of brilliance but like I said I’m vary inconsistent. Good tee shot really bad approach or not a great tee shot then on the green and three putt... blah blah blah.

I live in the Halton region 50min west of Toronto and was wondering is anyone can recommend someone that can teach me how to have a more consistent swing. I’m a open book and like learning.

I guess I think I need someone to help me figure out what I’m doing wrong and get better. I love the game and want to get better.

Any advice is appreciated.

Firstly, welcome to the board.

Good for you for trying golf. It's a great game, but you probably have found that it's not as easy as it looks.

The most important thing for you to figure out is what you want out of playing golf. Some people like it for the exercise, others for the competition, others for the challenge of improving, others for the socializing. And many like it for some or all of those reasons.

If you want to improve your game, take lessons and practice a lot. However, when you're playing, don't try to make shots that you simply don't have. Keep the game as easy as possible and focus on consistency, then try to make more difficult shots as your game improves. Do NOT get obsessed with distance because it will eventually come as you get better. Instead, focus on hitting the ball straight and staying out of trouble. For example, see how long you can playing without losing a ball. Doing so will make the game more enjoyable and will make it easier to improve. Nothing takes the fun out of the game quite like losing a lot of balls and taking a lot of penalties.

Learn to putt. Every hole has a green, so making that a strength of your game will always serve you well.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

I agree, finding a pro and getting lessons would be one of the first things I'd recommend. You should set aside time to practice, working on things you are being taught. Distance is important, but not the most important thing, as Benz said, it will come. Keeping the ball in play is crucial to scoring, and of course your short game is where you will save the most strokes.

Comment

I would recommend Eddie Maunder out of Deerfield in Oakville.
        He has helped me so much, best instructor i've had by a long shot.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
        X