Collapse

Compression vs. Picking: Reverse Golf Swing Learning

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression vs. Picking: Reverse Golf Swing Learning

Hey guys, as you all know I'm obsessed with this game and learning it, and wanted to share with you guys an idea I've used when I learned Tennis, and Soccer (I played soccer professionally and for Canada, and Tennis at a semi-pro level, my current coach also coached Milos Raonic), and I might start implementing the way I learned my other sports with Golf, so wanted your thoughts on this, again I am putting my heart and soul into Golf and have put both my other sports on the sidelines for now so bare with me here. When I started Golf, like every amateur that picks up a golf club, my natural instincts were to generate a ton of power, take a very fast swing back and for the life of me swing that golf club as fast as possible, aimed directly at the golf ball and smash it into outer space, obviously this started off with me hitting balls and feeling great, being athletic and having really good hand eye coordination I was able to connect with the ball more often than not and "thought" I was doing it right, what this also led to is severe golfers elbow, pain in the joints, arms, hands, fingers, elbows, you name it - and a ton of fat shots, thin shots (I have naturally never sliced a ball, it's almost impossible for me to hit a ball anywhere else but dead straight, again this is simply hand eye coordination), now as time progressed and I started playing rounds of golf I realized how horrifically wrong my method was and that I was nothing more than a really good caster and picker of the golf ball, even though my 7 iron was going 180 yards and my club head speed on my 7 iron was excess of 105mph, this was nothing more than a really good casting and picking job, which we all know is completely incorrect. By the time I realized all of this and my coaches got involved and tried to fix my stubborn ways (and yes I'm very difficult to work with because I'm stubborn and am not a great listener), I had already caused severe pain to my body and was always sore, am still sore, and had created muscle memory around this awful swing of mine....now 3 months later and my coach is literally taking me back to square one because as we all know, a good solid shot consists of body rotation with very minimal use of the arms, and compression which means you are going through the ball and hitting the ground after, your angle of attack completely changes from picking and sweeping and you are coming down and covering and compressing the ball - so to get to my point, I am finding it very difficult to transition to the proper swing, A) because I am extremely sore and not allowing my body to recover because I love playing golf and B) my body is automatically trying to go back to what the muscle memory it has created already with 3 months of doing the wrong swing....this is similar to when I started learning tennis, I was all arms and no body and couldn't transition back, so what we did was work my forehand and backhand completely backwards and that's when it all clicked, essentially what I'm considering doing is working the entire golf swing backwards, basically getting into my address position, pushing my hips towards the target, bending my trail knee in, and applying forward shaft lean to the club which will give me the illusion of a perfect strike position on the ball and then while I'm in this strike position which I artificially put myself in, dragging the club head into the ball and ground and almost feel like I'm filleting the grass, and constantly doing this until my body and mind is programmed to compress the ball and forget it even exists, basically my goal would be to hit the grass in front of the ball, and from this position start learning the swing backwards, so once I have done 1000 reps of just artificially getting into the strike position and dragging the club through the ball, go to step 2 which is pull the club back to first parallel and so forth, essentially develop feelings that are all artificially created without actually swinging the club or exerting any energy - my goal is to start getting the feelings to associate with muscle memory. What's your thoughts on this? And ps. please don't comment saying "why don't you just ask your coach or listen to your coach", I'm a grown man that isn't just going to sit around and wait, I'm going to put whatever I have into this.

Would love to hear your input and ideas on what your method was to create the muscle memory needed to strike your irons pure.

Attached is a pic of my artificial strike position which I get myself into and then drag the club through.
    Attached Files

The concept may or may not work...but that is not the most ideal impact position. Your left hip has slid too far towards the target vs rotated around.

Comment

What Jason said, plus there are 1000s of pictures online of pro golfers at impact - if this is the approach you want to take, study those and mimic them in a mirror.

Also, are you the guy who is practicing 6 hours a day? No wonder you are sore. There are plenty of other ways to love golf and practice that don’t involve going 110% at every shot for 6 hours. While everyone here ultimately respects that you are a grown man and can do as you please, it might be beneficial to listen to your body and your instructor. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
        The concept may or may not work...but that is not the most ideal impact position. Your left hip has slid too far towards the target vs rotated around.
        Thanks Jason - yep I realize that, after I posted this I spent a couple hours watching the top pros at impact position....will be working on that today.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSaxemachine View Post
          What Jason said, plus there are 1000s of pictures online of pro golfers at impact - if this is the approach you want to take, study those and mimic them in a mirror.

Also, are you the guy who is practicing 6 hours a day? No wonder you are sore. There are plenty of other ways to love golf and practice that don’t involve going 110% at every shot for 6 hours. While everyone here ultimately respects that you are a grown man and can do as you please, it might be beneficial to listen to your body and your instructor. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
          lol I wake up taking Aleve, go to bed taking Aleve and my wrists and fingers are the worst in pain but as the day progresses they settle down. I figured I either get severe arthritis or become a pro golfer, one of them will come first hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalMachine View Post
            it's almost impossible for me to hit a ball anywhere else but dead straight, again this is simply hand eye coordination
            You lost me when you said this.

Also, your grip looks quite weak to me.

Worry about alignment, ball position, and grip first. A good deal follows from these things.

Comment

Originally posted by thekathrynorchard View Post

You lost me when you said this.

Also, your grip looks quite weak to me.

Worry about alignment, ball position, and grip first. A good deal follows from these things.
              Ummm I'm pretty sure I naturally favor a rather strong grip - not weak. Regardless I don't know why, I cannot find a proper follow through with a neutral grip, my hands naturally want to have that grip.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalMachine View Post

Ummm I'm pretty sure I naturally favor a rather strong grip - not weak. Regardless I don't know why, I cannot find a proper follow through with a neutral grip, my hands naturally want to have that grip.
                Your right hand looks to me to be weak. Your thumb is pointing straight down the shaft from the presented angle.

Comment

Also, i didn't know hitting the ball dead straight was simply hand eye coordination.

Comment

I hope this whole thing is an elaborate trolling mission. Good for you if it is. If it isn't, then help us all.

Comment

I hope this whole thing is an elaborate trolling mission. Good for you if it is. If it isn't, then help us all.
                      I’m thinking the same thing and getting a kick out of it

bladerunner

Comment

Ye whiny bunch of cry babies lol here ya go, just for you, I hit 65 out of 75 dead straight, 150+ carry, keep doubting me and I'll charge you to come watch me do it I put 6 hours a day into what I do, sure I been golfing for 3 months but I'd probably show a lot of you a thing or two about the sport, don't hate on people for no reason, just cuz ye can't do it doesn't mean I can't do it Cheers! Still love ya folks.

Ps. I ain't a perfect pretty swing, but if after 3 months my swing was to look like Rory's we would all be in trouble, it works for now and I sure as hell know that ain't no 3 month golfer hitting balls like I am or scoring low 90's, and I'll break into mid 80's before season is over....instead of doubting someone, support them!!!

Comment

PS. You are always welcome to play me a round of 18 holes Should be an easy win for you considering I'm a 3 month golfer and according to you a troll who has no clue how to hit a ball lmao And fyi, I am totally cool with respect to what you are saying about me, I never get offended and I'm a very good sport, I can take being trolled as well, so don't think I'm offended or anything, it's all in good fun and good sport I'm not one of those guys that gets bent out of shape, just going along with what you said So if you want to play 18 holes and kick my butt all over the course, let me know Maybe on that day I get lucky and shoot well

Comment

And fyi, my wife critiques me more than anyone else and generally helps me as well with respect to my swing and body movements in my downswing, so I love the critiquing and help She is the one that actually showed me today majorly what I was doing wrong hence why I got my swing back, she can compress the ball better than I can lol

Comment

People are insuating that youre a troll because in previous posts you say the following things (in no particular order, and all after a miracle breakthrough swing change thats been 3 days long at best)
                              1) you like to play blades because you like to work the ball and its easier to shape
                              2) then you post saying you cant get your long clubs in the air
                              3) then say your irons only want to go straight.
                              4) you were buying your own gc2 to practice with
                              5) youve found the greatest instructors ever and were going to work with Larry Cheung forever...then say hes to far of a drive...yet youre practicing 6hrs a day...if i was practicing 6hrs a day i dont think it would matter how far my instructor is
                              6) youve changed instructors and now hes also awesome (and im sure they both are...i know larry and have taken lessons from him) yet you still come online to ask for advice....if you have an awesome instructor just listen to them not others. Trust in them.
                              7) you were neck and neck with a cpga pro...

The list continues as to why people think youre just being a troll.... If not and if your irons only go straight and you shoot in the 90s dont change a thing.

No one is denying you practice a lot...but watching your swing it has many traits of a high hcp golfer. Its OTT, you sway, youre flippy. Have there been people who make those swings work...yes but theyre also tell tale signs of an inconsistent swing .Which makes it easy to shoot 90 one day and 110 the next day.

Also im guessing youre not playing by the rules if youre shooting in the low 90s with that swing. I.e taking proper stroke and distance penalties.
                              Last edited by Jasonp; Aug 19, 2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X