Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitching/Chipping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitching/Chipping

Because there is so many ways to chip and pitch
    I figure a easier way was to chip and putt by using my right hand as the dominant hand. For flops, sand shots and pitching , I try to relax my right hand and have my left hand as the control hand

Seems correct to me

Comment

for chipping and pitching, I think little of what my hands are actually doing
      MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

The trick to pitching and chipping is really not that difficult to teach or learn. Probably the biggest problems people have when using this technique is that they shift their weight like they are hitting with a full swing.

Comment

Personally take a light grip as per normal, unless i have to hack out of heavy rough.

club square to slightly open to utilize bounce
          very slightly open stance
          normal to slightly narrower width of stance
          some forward shaft lean and weight more towards front leg
          take club back and through with no wrist hinge
          length back and length through determines distance, loft determines height
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

The strike of a chip shot is slightly different than a pitch shot. Most chip shots are struck ball first, compared to pitch shots the ball and ground contacted at about the same time.

Comment

For me the big difference between the chip and the pitch is that I use all of the club's bounce in pitching.
              I'll chip with a square or slightly shut face, and pitch with a slightly open face to make use of the bounce.
              what I found to work best for me is to come into the ball from the inside rather than cut across outside-in.
              Things change.

Ping i25, PWR75 s
              Ping i25 3w Accra Tour Z LS M4
              Ping i25 5w PWR75s
              Ping ISI 3-pw Z-z65
              Ping ISI W2, W3
              Cal i-Trax

Comment

Since I've gone to a more upright stance, and with 9 iron only, my chipping has become very consistent. The pitch however remains one of golf's great mysteries for me. I'm awful from 10 to say 50 yards out. Try to avoid this whenever possible. Also have completely lost the ability to hit a sand wedge. No idea why.

Comment

For putting, chipping and pitching I tend to be right hand dominant and like to lead with that hand... Sand shots are the exception as I don't really think about think about my hands, and focus more on getting weight on my left side and hitting behind the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post
                    Since I've gone to a more upright stance, and with 9 iron only, my chipping has become very consistent. The pitch however remains one of golf's great mysteries for me. I'm awful from 10 to say 50 yards out. Try to avoid this whenever possible. Also have completely lost the ability to hit a sand wedge. No idea why.
                    I'm the same as you...yips come into play when I have to take out a wedge and pitch the ball. If I want to putt my next shot, chip and run is my first choice.

The problem with pitching in particular is you have to take a bigger swing (relative to distance) and you feel like you are supposed to get that ball into the air. There are just too many techniques out there (hinge and hold, don't hinge, take the club inside, keep the club outside, swing the head not the handle etc) which confuse the heck out of me. Funny thing is in practice, I've done all of these and at times they have all worked except when I get out onto the course.

I have been working on using the bounce more and it helps but it's still a 50/50 proposition in my head...just have to remove the "hit" feeling and just smooth tempo swing the club and don't think.

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 164,208   Posts: 1,718,195   Members: 45,688   Active Members: 190
                    Welcome to our newest member, Kdaw11.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                    X