Collapse

Driver- Coming too much over the top

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver- Coming too much over the top

During a recent swing eval, I was told that my take away is very good, but at the start of the down swing I start too much with my shoulders, coming in very over the top, causing a very steep attack angle, and a slice of the golf ball. I have looked through different videos and articles online, but nothing really seems to "click" in helping to resolve the issue. Any tricks or tips that anyone has used in the past?

Thanks,

When OTT creeps into my driver swing, I remind myself that golf is game of "sideways", and try to turn my back to the target. As a righty, I remind myself that at impact the right arm is under the left arm. If the left arm is under the right arm at impact, than the right shoulder as rolled over.

Also, an arms'y swing can lead to OTT too.
    🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
    Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
    Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x or UST LIN-Q White M40X 6F3
    Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
    Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
    Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
    Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

I got plenty of tips that I've tried over the years for the same problem. As a 17 handicapper, I've also seen lots of videos. Still working on my drives which have had moments of duck hooks, bad slices and sometimes having the tee ball just dribble off the tee box - all symptoms of coming over the top. Here's a list of what I've tried.

1. At address, have your clubhead face to the left. That forced me to acknowledge that my face is pointing in the wrong direction and when I swing down, it forced me to come more from the inside. Actually saw this in a web video as a pro recommendation. Works...sometimes...but can be quite erratic if you still come over the top.
      2. Tee the ball further ahead. This forced me to have more "in line" portion of my drive on target. Had some success with this over the years but can lead to major slices if over the top comes back. Also forced me to sway during my swing (as opposed to twist) - leads to inconsistent shots.
      3. Change grip. Although not specifically addressing over the top swing, you'll find that proper grip can help with slicing. Suggest stronger grip on the left hand (i.e. move thumb more to left to show more knuckles).
      4. Work on alignment. Look behind ball and mark a spot a foot or two behind ball which is in line with target. Then align feet parallel with this imaginary line. Part two of this tip (which I got from a golf lesson many years ago), is to try to hit the inside of the golf ball. That should help with the over the top and your alignment should help direct the ball in the right direction
      5. Tee ball not so far ahead. A contradiction of #2 above but I find that all videos recommend teeing ball off inside left heel. That might "force" you not to swing over the top if the ball is closer to your downswing. Also, in conjunction with this, try teeing the ball further away from you. if further away, might make it more difficult for you to swing out to in.
      6. Squat down in your stance. I've tried this years ago. It helped me cut down on the swaying ahead in conjunction with the over the top swing. Looks like a duck waddling but has had it's success.
      7. Beer cart. A beer or two can help you relax and you won't be gripping the club so tightly or swinging for a 300 yard drive.
      8. Acknowledge that it's better to hit the fairway than the parking lot. Ease up on the swing.
      Also, i'm suffering from ranger Rick syndrome. Drives on range are fine but mess up on course. The solution so far has been to watch your driver head hit the ball and not peek where the ball goes. If alignment is ok, you shouldn't have to peek up and mess up your alignment.

My current solution has been to slow my swing down significantly. A very slow back swing, a pause at the top to let the head of the club drop a bit then a gradually faster downswing. Being mindful to try to hit inside of ball. A bit stronger left hand grip also helps. So far, averaging 5 fairways hit per round - but still hoping to do better.

Hope this helps...good luck

Comment

Originally posted by luvtapar88 View Post
        During a recent swing eval, I was told that my take away is very good, but at the start of the down swing I start too much with my shoulders, coming in very over the top, causing a very steep attack angle, and a slice of the golf ball. I have looked through different videos and articles online, but nothing really seems to "click" in helping to resolve the issue. Any tricks or tips that anyone has used in the past?

Thanks,
        Too much shoulder turn is typical for an over the top swing, its what most amateurs struggle with, you can check every point foreright99 makes up top and still swing shoulders first. But knowing what you do clearly means slowing down the shoulders and letting the hands catch up. Start your downswing feeling hands only..

check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-r...wLzwwtLTFYouUg

Tony teaches this "hand first feel" technique all day. It works amazingly, so much I had to tame it back because I've been over hooking.

good luck, and remember to exaggerate the feeling at first cause what you feel isnt exactly what youre always going.
        In the bag:
        -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
        -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
        -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
        -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
        -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

I would also suggest knowing your ball flight...

You may fix your mistake in minutes not knowing it because your ball continues to go right, only it being a face issue.
          In the bag:
          -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
          -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
          -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
          -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
          -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

I've started this thread at least once before. No worries, I've been OTT for oh, about 40 years. One tip that has at least led to some control of the fade\slice is the X swing. Swing outside the line on takeaway and you will almost naturally counter with an inside out on the downswing.

Comment

I used to battle the pull hook drive, and it can still creep in a couple times a round if I'm not paying attention.

It tends to happen when I fail to make a good turn with my hips while keeping my legs firmly planted. It will be all shoulders which causes too long a backswing, and usually results in a quick transition, quick hands (trying to catch up), and a severe over the top move.

If I really focus on a nice controlled backswing, good full turn of the hips creating tension against my lower body, then the results are usually a good shot.
              We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
              Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
              Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
              Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
              Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
              Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
              Srixon Star XV
              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

I have battled the pull hook for most of my golfing life (over 40 years). I could hit it a mile, but way left.
                In the past month I have spent a lot of practice time focusing on keeping my right elbow tucked in throughout my swing. Early on I exaggerated the motion and tried to focus on hitting slight push, as that had me thinking of hitting from inside -out. I have had some success with this. While it is a work in progress, as the old habit was ingrained into my swing, but in the last several weeks for the most part my driving has improved quite a bit, the result being fewer pull/hooks and more fairways hit.

Comment

I've been plagued with OTT my whole life and this easy drill/feeling has helped this year.

1. line up to swing and place the driver on the ground behind your back foot
                  2. swing through a drive from that position X 5 (bring the club from off of the ground and swing through)
                  3. pull the driver all the way back, stop with the club on the ground behind your back foot, swing through X 5
                  4. pull the driver all the way back, skim the grass behind your back foot, swing through X 5
                  5. take a full swing with the club head hovering just over the ground behind your back foot in the middle of the swing X 5
                  6. hit the ball
                  Dans le BAG...
                  PING G30 LS 9*, PING G25 14.5*, PING G30 19*
                  PING I25 4-LW
                  Titleist Vokey SM6 62*
                  Scotty Cameron Classics Laguna

Comment

For more detail check out a recent thread on club path... same advice: THROW CLUBS. Over the top the club flies left, if you can release the club and have it go at target you will naturally have to have your back to target longer and swing in to out (feels like throwing to the right of target). Literally impossible to throw a club str8 while OTT with shoulders providing powre early

Comment

I've struggled with this my whole golf career. This year some of these have helped:

Pause or almost pause at the top.
                      Tuck in right elbow to body on downswing.
                      Swing out and away (second base analogy).
                      Swing outside on takeaway, leading to inside out on downswing.
                      Swing thought 1-2-3-1 (from a previous post and thread)

Problem is I think I have golf ADD and forget. Then comes the dreaded pull or slice. Kills me every time. Hoping for consistency next year.
                      Last edited by nomullies; Oct 27, 2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

https://www.superswingtrainer.com Try this.

Comment

Skip stones my friend

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X