Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best lesson learned this season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best lesson learned this season

What is the best lesson youíve learned playing through this season?

Iíve come up with two that Iím trying to get stuck in my head:
    distance is not as important as accuracy
    and
    donít be a hero; play the safe shot
    taylormade M2 10.5 driver
    dunlop resolve 3w
    wilson staff 3 hybrid
    titleist 716 mb 4-pw
    cleveland 50/54/60
    odyssey white hot rx9

Two lessons that have made a HUGE improvement:
    spas1 : donít death grip the club, so no more sqeezing the ***** out of the club.ndrpar : take a more narrow stance, allowing more rotation
    Ė Greg

Comment

Right angle with the right arm in the backswing, tuck that elbow, and soft hands while putting

Comment

Watched some Chris Ryan youtube's on approaches - really struggle inside 100. He demo'd a way to use a less lofted club, a more narrow stance and a slightly different swing plane which I seem to take to right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZxloti0uww
        Last edited by petvan; Oct 15, 2018, 10:41 AM. Reason: Added the link - seemed empty w.o it

Comment

On virtually every shot, make a full or near-full rotation so that the lead shoulder is under the chin at the top of the swing.
          From that position you can usually make a very good pass at the ball with any club.

I found that I was making some 'false swings' (mainly arms), and was losing power and accuracy. I think this was the result of a fear of over-swinging and trying to 'compact' the swing, but instead it just caused other problems.
          Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Taking the club back on plane. The old ďroll the ball straight backĒ drill is helpful but I have a long way to go to make it natural.
            Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD MT
            M1 w/ Diamana Thump
            H2 w/ Even Flow Black
            Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
            Vokey 46į 50į 54į
            Hi-Toe 58į
            Taylormade Mullen TP

Comment

Feel connected at set up. ie after setting up, for me, the ideal feeling is that arms are married to sides of body. Not forcibly so, but just naturally so after taking my stance. This usually requires the hands to be somewhat low. From there, swing on plane and everything seems to fall into place. If I set up too tall and don't feel that solid connection the result is a shot that is not as solid or consistent at impact.

Comment

Make sure you see the turf explode after impact.

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
                  Watched some Chris Ryan youtube's on approaches - really struggle inside 100. He demo'd a way to use a less lofted club, a more narrow stance and a slightly different swing plane which I seem to take to right away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZxloti0uww
                  Thatís a great lesson. Thanks for sharing. Canít wait to try that one

taylormade M2 10.5 driver
                  dunlop resolve 3w
                  wilson staff 3 hybrid
                  titleist 716 mb 4-pw
                  cleveland 50/54/60
                  odyssey white hot rx9

Comment

I really tried to live Hank Haney's statement:
                    • No penalty strokes
                    • No 2 chips
                    • No 3 putts
                    Amazingly helps you focus and by all means my scoring got better.

Also, course management was another lesson learned, stopped trying to get to Par 5 greens in 2 shots, strategically getting to the 110 yard mark or so and amazing how birdie production improved...

A great year so far, and hopefully we have a few weeks left!

- Ian
                    Taylormade M1 460 Driver 9.5D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (8.75D)
                    Taylormade M1 3 Metal 15.0D (Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 TS) (16.5D)
                    Taylormade PSI Irons (KBS C-Taper 105 S) (3-PW)
                    Taylormade TP EF Satin Chrome Wedges (KBS Tour Wedge) (52D/56D/60D)
                    Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals/Irons)
                    Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" (20G Weights)
                    SuperStroke CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
                    Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag
                    Clicgear 3.5+ Push Cart
                    SkyCaddie TOUCH

Comment

Confidence in putting... Learned how to hit a consistent straight putt by moving to an arc swing vs a straight back and through.

Comment

Upright chipping with my 9 iron has helped immensely. The other is I finally extended my irons .75" and I'm striking them way better. Not a lesson but huge help.

Comment

Swing to a target, rather than at the ball.

That and golf is a game of intention. The clearest intention is to execute a golf shot and have the ball end up at a certain target, and not swing thoughts.
                          WITB 2018

Driver: Ping G30 LS Tec (10.5į)
                          Shaft: Ping Tour 65 X
                          3 Wood: TaylorMade M2 2016 (15į)
                          Shaft: Fujikura Speeder 661 X
                          Driving Iron: Srixon Z U85 (20į)
                          Shaft: UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F5

Irons: Titleist 716 AP1 (4), 716 AP2 (5-PW)
                          Shafts: KBS Tour-V 120 X
                          Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design Spin Milled (52į, 60į), SM6 (56į S Grind)
                          Shafts: True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
                          Putter: Nike Method 003
                          Grip: SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Feherty Fan View Post
                            Confidence in putting... Learned how to hit a consistent straight putt by moving to an arc swing vs a straight back and through.
                            Do you mean inside to inside or pick it up on the way back and raise it after the hit?

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Do you mean inside to inside or pick it up on the way back and raise it after the hit?
                              Arcing around my body not up and down... Basically, the Stan Utley style of putting, instead of Dave Pelz.

I grabbed an old metal metre stick last winter and tried rolling putts along it, sounds simple but was not. It took me awhile playing different putting styles and different putters, but now I can roll straight along the metre stick on a very consistent basis. It gave me lots of confidence with my putter all season long

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 164,208   Posts: 1,718,195   Members: 45,688   Active Members: 190
                              Welcome to our newest member, Kdaw11.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                              X