Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great people, ideas and excitement. Please register if you would like to take part.

This is extra text with a test link..

Register Now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best lesson learned this season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This could be the best lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCouVHCy1go

I think for myself the less I try and think about what i'm doing and just swing easier, smoother etc. the better

Comment

Originally posted by Feherty Fan View Post

Arcing around my body not up and down... Basically, the Stan Utley style of putting, instead of Dave Pelz.

I grabbed an old metal metre stick last winter and tried rolling putts along it, sounds simple but was not. It took me awhile playing different putting styles and different putters, but now I can roll straight along the metre stick on a very consistent basis. It gave me lots of confidence with my putter all season long
      Nice. I picked up a spyder I like but haven't settled on the stroke. Will use your tip on the carpet this winter thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post
        This could be the best lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCouVHCy1go

I think for myself the less I try and think about what i'm doing and just swing easier, smoother etc. the better
        Have you actually tried this on the range? I'd love to give this a shot next time I hit the range. Looks simple enough. I would still be curious about distance and accuracy but I guess that would eliminate the natural aspect of this exercise
        taylormade M2 10.5 driver
        dunlop resolve 3w
        wilson staff 3 hybrid
        titleist 716 mb 4-pw
        cleveland 50/54/60
        odyssey white hot rx9

Comment

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
          I really tried to live Hank Haney's statement:
          • No penalty strokes
          • No 2 chips
          • No 3 putts
          Amazingly helps you focus and by all means my scoring got better.

Also, course management was another lesson learned, stopped trying to get to Par 5 greens in 2 shots, strategically getting to the 110 yard mark or so and amazing how birdie production improved...

A great year so far, and hopefully we have a few weeks left!

- Ian
          hope HANK isnt trying to sell these three 3 common sense things that all golfers attempt to do every round
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

eye on the ball
            Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=45021

Comment

Golf teaches me to have patiences, which is a virtue in life. You have to be patient and take one shot at a time. Golf has taught me that there is always room for improvement. We can always continue to work and grow to become the best version possible.

Comment

Originally posted by xXgunnrXx View Post

Have you actually tried this on the range? I'd love to give this a shot next time I hit the range. Looks simple enough. I would still be curious about distance and accuracy but I guess that would eliminate the natural aspect of this exercise
                I have done this before...with my horrible short game, there are times I look a couple of feet in front of the ball instead of at the ball and then I just try and smooth it. Lot of people say you can't hit it if you don't look at it but I might disagree in so far as I don't entirely focus on the ball only when I swing the club. I think I actually play better when I just swing the club like in practice and not realize the ball is there.

Comment

Originally posted by TeetoGrnr View Post

I have done this before...with my horrible short game, there are times I look a couple of feet in front of the ball instead of at the ball and then I just try and smooth it. Lot of people say you can't hit it if you don't look at it but I might disagree in so far as I don't entirely focus on the ball only when I swing the club. I think I actually play better when I just swing the club like in practice and not realize the ball is there.
                  If anything, I think I would use this as a warm up on the range pre round. Might help loosen up and with tension. I need to bring my focus to the result of the shot as opposed to swinging through.
                  taylormade M2 10.5 driver
                  dunlop resolve 3w
                  wilson staff 3 hybrid
                  titleist 716 mb 4-pw
                  cleveland 50/54/60
                  odyssey white hot rx9

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                    On virtually every shot, make a full or near-full rotation so that the lead shoulder is under the chin at the top of the swing.
                    From that position you can usually make a very good pass at the ball with any club.
                    I've seen you use this technique with your putter. I never thought it worked out that well for you.

Comment

Originally posted by bk51 View Post

I've seen you use this technique with your putter. I never thought it worked out that well for you.
                      Sometimes I forget to account for the wind....
                      Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Originally posted by jackblack View Post
                        Make sure you see the turf explode after impact.
                        This can be dangerous for your back shoulder as it can promote staying down too long which ends up stressing the outside of your back shoulder. My friend hurt himself this way by overdoing keep head down advice which has made many golf teachers worst advice from your golf buddies list. I personally do see contact occur but it is not a must as Jim Furyk and Anika Sorrenstam both say they dont even see impact occur and they are 2 all time greats with crazy accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by jackblack View Post
                          Make sure you see the turf explode after impact.
                          Not sure about this one.

Is the key that you keep looking at the spot where the ball was at rest after impact? Or, is it that you should make the turf explode?

The reason I ask is that a good buddy of mine received numerous lessons this summer emphasizing 'ball before turf' and taking divots. He has now become a little obsessed with taking a divot to the point where he will sometimes take multiple practice swings in the search for the perfect divot. The issue is not the extra time that this takes (we play early and relatively fast), but instead is his focus on the divot rather than the results.
                          Sage of the GTA...

Comment

Keep clubbing-up until you complain about going long.
                            WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
                            Titleist 917 D2 8.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65 Stiff
                            Ping G400 14.5 with Alta 65 Stiff
                            Titleist 915HD 20.5* with Accra FX300H

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW with Steelfiber i95 Regular HSx1
                            Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i125cw Stiff
                            Nike VR Pro 54* & 60* with Steelfiber i125cw Stiff
                            Edel E-3 Putter with Pure grip
                            Nike RZN Platinum/Black

Comment

1. Smart golf by using golf management. 2. Hand position while setting up specifically with the driver. (thank you Chris Rew) 3. Stepping back from the ball if it doesn't feel right. i.e. Foot in divot..

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post

Not sure about this one.

Is the key that you keep looking at the spot where the ball was at rest after impact? Or, is it that you should make the turf explode?

The reason I ask is that a good buddy of mine received numerous lessons this summer emphasizing 'ball before turf' and taking divots. He has now become a little obsessed with taking a divot to the point where he will sometimes take multiple practice swings in the search for the perfect divot. The issue is not the extra time that this takes (we play early and relatively fast), but instead is his focus on the divot rather than the results.
                                Taking divots with a practice swing is just wrong - on so many levels. Tell your buddy to stop - ever see a pro take a divot with a practice swing?

Comment

Join The TGN Email List

Collapse

Recently Joined

Collapse

Topics: 164,208   Posts: 1,718,195   Members: 45,688   Active Members: 190
                                Welcome to our newest member, Kdaw11.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

TGN Sponsors

TGN Sponsors

Working...
                                X