Collapse

Help with club path

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with club path

Would love some input regarding my club path. Tryied several videos, Articles…etc but I can’t seem to figure it out, I was on trackman earlier today and all my drivers were anywhere from -10 to -15 any tips, advice anything… lol on how to get this number a little more neutral?

Swing to your target and not at the ball. For your driver, set up with a driver head space between the teed ball and your driver. Chest facing the club head. Pick a cloud out in the sky that is above your target. Swing the club with the intent of clipping the tip of the tee on the way up with the swing direction to the cloud. That should keep you from coming over the top. The driver swing bottoms out behind the ball and hits the ball on the way up.

youtube Shawn clement driver

Comment

-10 -15 wow.. Thats crazy... Sounds like youre swinging with your shoulders cutting across the ball. Do you have access to a launch monitor? Next time try the feeling of swinging arms first next time and see the numbers. So at the top of your backswing feel like them arms go then make the turn.

Try a drill.. Take normal stance, then drop the back leg almost straight back almost behind your front leg, find balance and swing.
      In the bag:
      -TaylorMade R15 driver/ aldila nv 2kxv 65g x-stiff
      -Cleveland Classic 3 Wood strong 14*
      -TaylorMade Burner 2.0 5-PW irons
      -Nike Vr 58, 54, 52 deg. wedge
      -Custom milled putter from 303SS

Comment

>-10 -15 wow.. Thats crazy... Sounds like youre swinging with your shoulders cutting across the ball.

Ya, I was on a Trackman for the first time a few weeks ago, and when I deliberately set up for some big hooks and slices, I think I was only getting ~+/- 4-5 ??

@luvta : focus on swinging the clubhead along the ball-target line, keeping the club low on the take-away and follow through.

Posting a video of your swing would help

Comment

THROW CLUBS. This is by far the best instant feedback you will ever get and it has the added benefit of proper sequencing (if you know how to throw).

One thing that almost everyone does is throw left and high when thinking and feeling they are releasing down the line. So the feel of throwing straight goes way left, so in order to direct momentum of the clubhead to travel along the target line through the ball, you have to FEEL like you are trying to throw the club a bit to the right (i.e. if you want to throw at second base, feel like you are throwing at the second baseman.

just dont do this with new expensive clubs. grab a steel shafted old beater for $2 from value village and try your first throw in a baseball cage....you may be surprised at how high and left your first throw is.

Comment

>THROW CLUBS. This is by far the best instant feedback you will ever get and it has the added >benefit of proper sequencing (if you know how to throw)

I first read about the "Throw the club" drill in Fred Shoemaker's "Extraordinary Golf".

I've never thrown the actual club, but have used that throwing motion (along with "baseball swings") as drills to promote free motion.

I don't think it's necessary to actually let go (throw) the club, just doing the motion "forget golf swing" will produce the same result. I have a post here on the site where I described how I used that drill with a buddy who was an occasional golfer, and how it virtually instantly (10-15 minutes) transformed his swing.

I also use the thought of "throw the club from the top of the backswing down through the ball.

All promote a release of tension through the hitting area, which is the opposite of what many high handicappers do (increase their tension in anticipation of the "hit".

The "throw-the-club" motion is another way of reinforcing that the club needs to move down the target line.

Comment

Originally posted by mstram View Post
              >I don't think it's necessary to actually let go (throw) the club, just doing the motion "forget golf swing" will produce the same result. I have a post here on the site where I described how I used that drill with a buddy who was an occasional golfer, and how it virtually instantly (10-15 minutes) transformed his swing.
              I told a friend who was starting golf to go throw clubs if he does nothing else. His swing very quickly transformed from a robotic weak swing (130-140 7iron) to a fluid and pleasing to the eye motion with a nice sequence and tons of power (170 7iron) BUT he was slicing a bit with an out to in path. He assured me he was indeed throwing. I pressed him on this and he admitted he was not actually letting go of the club but he could feel it releasing towards target. We went to a soccer field after our round and I threw a scrap club str8 (like my shots). He finally let go and if not for the club getting stuck up in a tree, it probably would have smashed his windshield str8 right of him (hes a lefty). To get the proper feedback you actually need to let it go. FEEL differs from REAL...until you get really used to directing the clubheads momentum.

Even if you hold on to it you will get the benefits to sequencing power and fluidity but for actual PATH control, nothing beats actually letting the club fly.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X